Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherpriggiles

Help w home office

S S
2 years ago

We have turned this furniture so many ways and every direction looks wrong! Should we just scrap the home office and make another sitting area? I really need an office though. Oh my…I’m frustrated!!! Taking any suggestions.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Sorry but all I see is a mess of boxes and honestly hard to even see the desk. If you post a flor plan to scale pics and meausrements of the pieces you think you need in there then you will get some help.For instance do you need the bookshelf or the chaise ? Take all the stuff out except for what you absolutely need then take more pics. Do you need a printer , file cabinet etc.Since this space does not even have a door IMO it needs to be clutter free and maybe a much different desk,I would start by placing the desk so you do not see the back of the computer .

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

I feel your pain, arrangi arranging a home office / guest bed myself right now with a chaise lounge too. Here are a few questions:

What is the view out the window? Would you enjoy sitting on a chaise and looking out the window? Do you imagine using the chaise or has it landed in this room by default?

Do you need auch a large desk? It seems tricky because of the shape and also because it is taller than the window and would look odd in front of it.

Would it be bothersome to have a home office withour a door? Do you need a space this large for your office, where else would you put it? Do you have a budget for this space, can you purchase a new desk?

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I just want to encourage you to not give up on making this space a home office if that's what you need. The two posters above have given you some good feedback. Think about what they said and if you haven't already, look at pictures on Houzz to see what other people do. I will add that a rug and/or curtains would help to absorb sound. The space may echo like a cave otherwise.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Ok, that space is giving me anxiety.

That could be an amazing room/office!!

these are both beautiful and mimic your space. put a wall unit on that far wall. get a nicer desk. paint the room a soothing color. bring in matching rug, chair. maybe do a window bench. put your chaise in the opposite corner

Toss everything. start from scratch.

take advantage of the far wall, decorate it and make that your work area.

you could easily do some built ins, or a lower console, open shelves, cabinets,

Ikea Billy Bookcase Hack,

(lots of how to's for the Billy's.)

I like this. paint the one wall a dark color like blue or black, get a desk like this, book case. use your chaise on the other wall

this is an ikea hack. two of their lower cabs spanned w/a wood butcher block

do a smaller one and put something in the corner.

similar to what you have. put it against the wall in the corner

You already have the cowhide. bring in jute or sisal w/it and layer.

or try this type of layout

Try Kendall Charcoal on that back wall, natural wood shelves, desk.

I still like the dark back wall. Ikea, or just paint the wall and do a low wood console

you can easily find these "built-ins" ready to buy and just place them against that back wall

Ballard "Tuscan". They have a lot of styles

do you like this style? very simple to copy.

your chaise would look nice in one of the opposing corners.

Make it fun. bring in some color. some light. This one you could do. look online for a used desk. paint it whatever color you like. get a fun rug. some book cases. art. put your chaise in the corner. get a tall plant by the window

if you want doors, you'd have to have something custom made since you have the arch. (or, just straighten out the arch and do a sliding door or two on the inside

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

WOW really Beth I do not think that all those pics will help at all .

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

patricia. why?

perhaps if you would suggest a bit more rather than, "clear out the clutter", it could be more helpful. People are visual.

what I show may not be ideal for their room, but at least it gives them ideas on how to proceed for the back wall and a desk spot.

This isn't the least bit helpful? at all. seriously?

I think this idea is better than that curved piece she currently has. and it's a simple ikea hack.

Obviously some are not feasable if she's on a budget (like the custom built-ins) but if someone doesn't know what they don't know, then why wouldn't pictures help ?

I posted similar room sizes w/a window and large wall so she can envision.

she asked if she should start over and said she wants an office area.

So why exactly would NONE of these pictures help? I'd love to hear your reasoning behind that statement.

• S S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all!!! Great pictures. Great ideas. I honestly appreciate ALL of the recommendations!

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

For now I would put the computer desk in the corner with the opening toward the window. Although your shelving isn't the prettiest, it is what you have. Place it where you can get to what you need from your desk. Place the lounge in the corner angled out where the shelving unit is .

As you can afford to replace things you can get the new desk and cabinets and things like Beth was showing you, but for now you need an office that functions and I think this set up should work with the current furnishings.

It is really not a bad idea to have the back of the monitor facing a wall. They just are not attractive.