Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn1187

**Added mockups** What type of window treatments would you do?

jlynn1187
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are moving into our new home in a few weeks and I’m getting some decorating ideas together. One area I can’t figure out is the windows on either side of the fireplace. The room has high ceilings, and the fireplace has stone to the ceiling - but the windows on either side don’t go all the way to the ceiling. I would love to use curtains to bring some color in but I’m not sure how it would look. What do you think?

Comments (31)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would it be weird to put the curtain rod all the way at the top of the wall near the ceiling with curtains that come all the way down to the floor and use roman blinds to fill in the gap between the top of the window frames and the rod?

Kinda like this…

• Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago

Those cornices that cut through the windows seem odd to me. The one at the left is the right height, at the top of the window. Whatever drapery you choose should be mounted above the windows. Embra Embrace the height of the windows and ceiling.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Connie Stackhouse those cornices belong to the current owners. I am replacing those. Just looking for ideas of what to replace them with.

• Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago

I would use simple floor length drapes in a fabric of your choice. I like your inspiration pic using the roman shades

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Connie Stackhouse thanks, I wasn’t sure if it would look weird to have the shades with no light coming through (since they would basically just be hanging on the wall). I couldn’t find any pics of people with similar windows to mine who used curtains.

@Emily love that inspiration pic!!

Would you suggest I place panels on either sides of each window or just on the outsides?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Is anyone any good at room mockups? trying to visualize what would look best!

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I like something like this - with crown molding blocking the top portion...

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

This reminded me of your space

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-187528210 thank you! I do love that. In your last photo, they have windows that look to go all the way to the ceiling. I wish ours had that, I feel like that would make it easier. Since there’s a big area between the top of our windows and the ceiling, I wasn’t sure how window treatments that go all the way to the ceiling would look. 🤔

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Right. That’s why I’d like the crown molding. Either at the ceiling or above the windows. Both would work.

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

Not a pro here - I would stick with something on the fireplace wall that you would be happy to continue to the window on the left. IMO that rules out ceiling height window treatments. It looks like the fireplace wall has separate upper and lower windows, is that correct? And there are blinds on all lowers that you plan to remove or keep? The cornices may be there to cover the mounting hardware for the blinds, Consider leaving the upper windows bare (assuming they are separate windows) and using matchstick or roman shades hung at the height of the cornice to bring in some color/texture/privacy as needed.

• Emily
    2 years ago

I would just do the outside of the windows so it doesn’t get too heavy looking.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I believe your window WALL is too tall for what you desire in a window treatment. I would try and unite the windows in the living room and adjoining areas with your treatment. Draperies on the living room windows will be difficult because you really have no stacking room.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-187528210 oh gotcha, sorry. In that first pic, it looked like a thin crown molding. Are you thinking a super thick crown molding for our space?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@L.D. Johnson ah good call about the window on the side! 😭 I really wanted curtains in there. I think they add so much style and interest to a room. hmmm…I think I may need to think outside the box.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

You can go as thick or thin as you like. Your space has a lot of texture going on with the FP and the pillars...
    I’d go for a simple crown molding and plain curtains.
    But bigger rather than smaller.

Some more pics :

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

Looks like that cornice treatment continues into the kitchen area- so more consistency to keep in mind if there are windows or a slider there. Your stone columns and fireplace are already focal points; maybe once you get your own furniture in you'll be more comfortable considering other alternatives. Beautiful home- enjoy!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@L.D. Johnson yes, there is a double window and a single door in the kitchen as well

photos for reference

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@groveraxle any chance you still do design mockups? (you probably don’t remember but you helped me GREATLY) when I moved into our current house 7 years ago and was unsure of what to do along our fireplace wall in the living room. your mockups were so helpful since I am a visual person!

• drdeb1234
    2 years ago

Grover hasn’t been on houzz for over a year and a half. She is much missed.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahh I had no idea! This makes me so sad, she was amazing!

• acm
    2 years ago

I can't imagine putting drapes on that wall at all, either in terms of the contemporary style, or the narrowness of the walls. Honestly, why would you want to compete with the view? I'd just do a simple blind for light control, or a roman blind in an unobtrusive fabric.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@acm thanks, I think I was just thinking it would be a great way to introduce some style and color to the space. I love the look of floor to ceiling curtains/drapes 😭

• User
    2 years ago

If you do decide to do drapes, i would not go clear up to the ceiling. some of the inspiration photo ideas are showing that but they don’t have your ceiling height.

• bethd12345
    2 years ago

Well, yes, I’ve spent too much time online today. Check out today’s Houzz story on drapes/curtains, and the link I also found today https://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2016/02/window-treatments-do-and-dont.html

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thoughts on these mock-ups of the windows with drapes? Better with the Roman shades (left) or without (right)? Please ignore the cornices - those are on there currently but will be coming off.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s an inspiration photo I found that I really liked!

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

Since your main focus is on having drapes there, so why not try without the shades first? You can always add shades later. You said you wanted to add color and texture - what kind of fabric are you thinking about?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was thinking if I used the shades, I could mount them 10-12” above the windows, and then mount the drapery rod 1/3 to 1/2 way from the top of the shades to the ceiling. If I don’t use the shades, I’d probably mount the drapery rod lower.

For the fabric, since they’ll be so tall Im definitely thinking something light and airy. Maybe a cream or a light robins egg blue? I’m not sure if a pattern would be too much given the size. I could just stick with patterns in the rug/pillows/etc. thoughts?

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

I agree pattern is probably not the way to go with such tall narrow panels. A cream that goes with the rock could be pretty; possibly a gray. I suspect it would be tough to find a light blue that would go with the rock plus whatever else you want to use in the room. I find the varied height of the shades you mocked up distracting, and it looks like you'd have to do the lower height in the adjacent room as well. If you're set on having shades, maybe you can get a mock up of them all across at the level above the cornice. And the lower rod to correspond. If they're well lined it might not be obvious that the window on the far left actually has blank wall behind it.

Good luck with your move!