Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_738858797

Plan advise with existing building

Amy
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

as suggested in a previous discussion to add our entire plans for the good, bad, and ugly comments..

a little info on this… we bought 2.5 acres in florida that has a 70by 26 empty concrete building with part of it having a little living apartment in it.. in the photo we are planning on building a home inside with an addition. the eletrcial box is already inside so we designated that to an outside electrical room instead of dipping in our budget just to move it.. on the other side of the living area is where the aparment is which will eventually be our master bedroom/bath/closet.. it is aprox 26x19.. where bedroom 1 &2 start is where the addition starts.. kitchen window back wall will be looking over a pool/ acre of land. we are trying to do the plans ourselves to save.. my eyes hurt and my mind is shot from looking at this for 2 months now.. if anyone has any suggestions on anything they see doesnt look right, i will gladly take the feedback.. with a glass of wine! doing plans yourself is harder than i imagined and hard with having an existing building.. the door to the master will be turned into a window..

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I can't enlarge the drawing and to be honest I need to see the buliding . My house is almost exactly those meaurements on my main floor and we have a walk out basement We have 3 bedrooms the master is huge with a big walkin closet a smaller type master bath with no tub 2 other bedrooms share a bath with a tub we have huge kitchen and a large LR. Not sure what is what on the drawing so I need pictures and a drawing than can be enlarged so I can read meaurements .

• maddielee
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting

doesn’t clicking on or tapping the picture put it into a mode that you can enlarge it?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

^^^ yes but everything is fuzzy- labels and lines. Try cropping and re-saving as a jpeg before reposting. Quick thought- angled pantry would be a no go for me and the full bath off the kitchen is awkward. I also need further knowledge of what is existing and what can be changed.

• Amy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Anything inside can change except for the electrical room.. we have nothing finalized. I thought about switching the full bath and the laundry room. Is it just as weird to have the laundry off the kitchen?

• LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

Do the people in bed 2 and 3 have to walk through the kitchen to shower?

• cpartist
    2 years ago

The whole layout is weird.

You walk past the private rooms to get to the garage or to the powder room, but people in the bedroom practically have to walk into the kitchen to shower or use the main bathroom?

2 sinks on a too small vanity?

I hope no one ever has an issue in terms of infirmity since the only shower is in the tub.

What is that long, too narrow closet up top?

Walking into a bedroom into the side of a bed is just bad.

Who designed this? Have you considered working with a person of design talent? Such as an interior designer?

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

Larger

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

Some suggestions.

Register and give yourself a name. It helps with continuity. You have been asking questions about details which all need to work together. It's not obvious when your user name is HU-83662525 that you have multiple threads going.

Show us the plot plan and how the existing structure sits on it. Show north, road access etc. Say why you have drawn the addition as shown.

The existing apartment does not seem important so there is really no need to mention it. I imagine you are wanting to keep the wall dividing it from the remainder of the space -- if so, say so. There is an existing wall that we want to keep etc.

Remember, we don't know what you know, and cannot see what you see, so for the best suggestions, you need to help us understand.

What you have now looks like just what it is, someone filling up an existing space with rooms and sticking on an addition and then just filling it up with rooms.

You seem to be stuck on this layout -- why?

Why not move the electrical panel? You will need all new wiring.