Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitzi_taft

narrow bathroom layout suggestions

Mitzi Taft
2 years ago

I am new here so this is new to me, but we are just getting ready to start building and the master bathroom isn’t laid out in a way I would like I don’t think. It’s a narrow bathroom and needs cramped. I was thinking of maybe taking the bathtub out and doing a big walk in custom shower at the end but then I don’t know where to out anything else. The sinks, should I move them or feel them there? Idk.. any suggestions?
Thank you!
Here is the floor plan.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

After you get the spacial relationships improved, get rid of the gas chamber and barn door, and enter the clothes closet solely from the bedroom.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    2 years ago

your available space isn’t cramped, you have an excellent footprint to work with (even if the footprint can’t be changed one bit). If construction hasn’t started these walls inside your bedroom suite can be rearranged 100 different ways for a better plan. Now is the time on paper to ”charrette” this like crazy with others (on here or elsewhere) before acquiescing to the plan given.

Or see 100 different ideas and go with the original anyway if that’s really what you wanted, 9x17 is not a cramped bathroom. The layout could be so much better though :)

• Mitzi Taft
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I guess I just don’t know how to do this. Lol..I was just thinking that the bathroom could be rearranged somehow. Without a bathtub being I wouldn’t use one anyways, and there is a tub in another bathroom. So, any ideas on how to rearrange the bathroom itself? I’m just so confused.

• lmckuin
    2 years ago

Do you really want to have to go through the kitchen, mud room, past the garage door and almost through the laundry room to get to your primary bedroom? I think you should put a little hallway like Mark recommends above.

• Mitzi Taft
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh.I understand that now. Great ideas that I would never have noticed! Thank you! I will defiantly change that.

• Mitzi Taft
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So close that wall off in the entryway and swap that bedroom and the wic/bath? So the wic would be smaller with a hallway in the one side?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

The bubble diagram I posted shows a bedroom with three exterior walls for potential windows to be located for natural light and natural ventilation. In the original layout, the bedroom has one exterior wall with two windows in it.

• Jennifer K
    2 years ago

Your current layout wastes a lot of space on traffic leaving less space for living. For example, your closet can have hangers on one long wall only, but you need standing area to access that one wall. If the closet were 7' wide, you could have 2 walls of hanging space with the same amount of standing space.

I suggest you move the closet next to the laundry room for convenience. The bathroom can go between it and the bedroom which allows it to have a window and reconfigures it to a generous square instead of a stretched-out rectangle. The bedroom can go on the outside corner to maximize windows and even allow for a door to the deck if you wanted. Something like this:

You can see your original layout underneath. I put in a king-size bed for scale.

• Mitzi Taft
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes. This makes since. I’m so discouraged now and wish I would have known what to look for before I bought this plan. It is all so overwhelming.

• Jennifer K
    2 years ago

Don't be too discouraged. Just treat it as the cost of learning. Finding out that the plan isn't what you hoped before you build it is MUCH cheaper than finding out after.

Now, depending where you are in your build process, you have a few options.

• If you've just started talking with builders, all your options are open. It would be a good idea to chat with an architect and find out if that is a better path for you. Don't discount the possibility even if you're not super-rich.
    • if you've already signed with a builder but haven't broken ground, talk with them about substituting a different plan or modifying the existing one. Worst case, if nothing can be done, cut your losses and start over. It's an expensive lesson, but it will be cheaper in the long run and you'll be happier.
    • if you've broken ground any change you want to make will likely be expensive. So ask the builder if they can pause until all changes are worked out. You want to make one change order with all the changes-- not kill your relationship with your builder with "And another thing..."
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here is a conceptual refinement of the bubble diagram. I mainly post it to show what an architect can do for you. A local architect can do better because they will get to know you and be able to walk your site. I encourage people to engage a local architect to help build their dream and nobody else's. This is an opportunity for you to do something great.

Sense

• Mitzi Taft
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh wow! I appreciate this so much! I have been racking my brain all day looking for another floor plan that would do for me what you suggested. Thank you!!

• Mitzi Taft
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So the wic would be off by itself across the little hall?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

It would be adjacent the master bathroom. There would be only one door opening in the bedroom, this provides more wall space for furniture. From the bedroom space, one would enter the ante space were they could either enter the bathroom space, the closet space, or exit the master bedroom suite.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I still recommend hiring a local architect to design a home with you that meets your needs and fits the site.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 years ago

Didn't read all the comments, but I would put the bathroom at the back, with a hallway from bedroom to bath between closets. Centering the hall would result in two small walk-in closets, or the hall could be off-center between a 2-ft. deep reach-in closet and a larger walk-in. The bath could then be arranged in any number of ways and also have more natural light.