Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stjoe56

I Block Toilets - Cause found

LJ
2 years ago

Last May I started a discussion withI Block Toilets. In it I told how was always blocking up my toilets. A lot of people gave some great suggestions.

Well last week I finally gave up and had a Toto Drake installed. While installing it the true cause of the blockage was found. See picture below:

I have filed a warranty claim with the builder. It will be intersting to see how he fixes it.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Hope you've got some replacement floor tile.

• chispa
    2 years ago

But in your other post you said you clogged all 4 toilets available to you in 2 different homes ... so you found the possible cause for only one of them!

• LJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chispa - I agree entirely with you. I am having a handyman come by so I can expect toilet #2 in my condo. The other two were in a rental apartment. The plumber showed me the "opening" between a Toto and the American Standard toilet installed by the builder. The Toto was much bigger. So who knows. But at least I think I solved the problem for one of the toilets.

• LJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chnispa you are 100% right. I am having a handyman come out and lift up the second toilet in my condo to see what its stack looks like . I will update with a new picture.

The other two toilets

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So you think an offset closet flange is the problem? And the builder will rip out everything under warranty? Realize that offset flanges are to avoid cutting a joist, or when say cores through slabs on multi-story buildings do not line up perfectly. That one looks like an Oatey, and as long as it keeps the 3" inside dia, which it does, there aren't problems with an offset (granted there are better vs worse offset designs). The trap in the toilet fixture has a tighter bend.

The "digestion" comments last thread and one again here are actually pertinent. You didn't detail whether this happened to anyone that used either toilet at both properties, or just you. Every flush, or just loaded flushes. But diet and minimizing/separate flushing paper are the first solutions that pay off in other ways.

• LJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

3onthetree. It is just mw, I did not have this issue two living arangements ago: i.e.before I lived in my last apartment. It was the plumber who installed tne new toilet for me who said there was an issue. I am not a plumber and just went by his statements.

I will keep everybody upated as to what happens.