Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devinekm

please help with fireplace mirror!

Katie S
2 years ago

What mirror can I put on my fireplace! It is so dark and gloomy with the stone - would a mirror brighten this up- like a circle mirror? Thanks for any help! I’m trying to brighten up the room.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Linda Mayo
    2 years ago

Have you thought about painting it? You would need a special paint for masonry. Sherwin Williams can advise you and sell you the correct paint.

• PRO
    CLC Construction
    2 years ago

Hi,
    I've done a lot of remodeling over the last few decades, and you might want to have the stone removed from the mantel, up. Then you could put in a bigger timber mantel, and then a painted cabinet design above it. Maybe even incorporate a big screen into the cabinet design.

• ratherbesewing
    2 years ago

I would consider artwork. Your Christmas stockings call attention to the fireplace. Artwork will do the same thing.

• tdemonti
    2 years ago

Take a look at lighting in the room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

No, but drywall will help: ) So too will paint.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

To brighten a room you need better lighting so start there I like LED bulbs in 4000K you could do 3500 K andstill improve that lighting a lot. Then I would look for a piece of art much larger than that indent and hang that above the mantel I often paint brick but I never like painted stone , not sure why, but I just do not like the look. The clock has to go no matter what. I think that would be the easiest change and then see if the space feels better before committing to doing something impossible to take back.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

NO AMOUNT lighting 3500 or worse, 4000k, will fix that fire, nor will a mirror.. Sorry.........: ) Lighting does in fact brighten a dark room, but can mean lamps as well, not a glare from who knows where holes in the ceiling or even harsh bulbs in a lamp.

Show the WHOLE room.......in pics

• acm
    2 years ago

No clock, and a mirror only if there is something nice to reflect. Usually the best is art with some color and sunshine. This might be a candidate for some paint or a schmear, but that will depend on the style of your house and of your decor, which would take showing a bit more.

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

A mirror won't really brighten up the fireplace - and it will look odd being so high up above the mantel. I would add some tall pottery and reflective items.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

What room is this? Is it a basement room (seeing the high window made me think that)? Have you had a professional family or grandkids portrait done by a good photographer or artist? I think that might be just the touch you need here. Don't forget to light it up.

25,000 SF of Luxury · More Info

Recent Remodels · More Info

Living Room | Great Rooms | Family Rooms · More Info

• Katie S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is another pic of the room. I absolutely hate the fireplace (it’s our family room) - but it’s too cost prohibitive right now to take it out- and I’m not sure I have the confidence to paint it. Definitely getting rid of the clock. No mirror. Artwork may be my best bet here? I appreciate everyone’s comments. This room is the worst with the fireplace and layout.

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

You need to paint the fireplace with Rambio masonry flat paint is a nice white like avoria. The get a round black mirror. I’ll show you my before and after. So first we lime washed, the painted with masonry paint. I like your layout. Our fireplace takes up the whole room!! Hate it

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Honestly!!! You don't need anything more complicated than primer! and two coats of your trim paint in matte or satin finish. You hate it, so paint iit. Any paint and hardware store has the stuff you need. This right below. . Trust me........II've made a lot of red brick "go away"

• Jilly
    2 years ago

OP, seeing the whole room, I think your stone looks fine. The colors in it go with your room well, and it provides texture and depth. You’ve done a nice job decorating around it.

I think it would look bad painted or washed — fake. And if re-sell is ever a concern, leave it. We have passed over more than one house that had a bad trendy DIY painted fireplace.

I think you’re on the right track with finding a beautiful piece of art for it. Embrace its quirkiness. :)

• auntthelma
    2 years ago

Glad to see Jinx’ comment. I am beginning to think I’m the only person left who likes natural elements in a home. I would buy that house just for the beautiful stone fireplace!

For fun, try the two blue paintings above the mantle. See if that makes a difference.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Auntthelma, I’ll never understand the constant and immediate go-to advice here to paint or whitewash stone and brick (except in truly extreme cases, which is rare).

It’s just a HGTV, Pinterest, and Instagram bandwagon trend, which will inevitably fall out of style. Except unlike painting walls or wood, permanent.

If people want to do it, they need to hear both success and failure stories, think of re-sell, think of any future changes in their own decorating, be advised on application, and think of what looks best in the context of the house instead of that one room. In other words (especially for exterior masonry), not just shown a few professionally done jobs off the ’net, but to think realistically about something so permanent.

This trend has hit my town hard, and unlike the pretty mansions always shown here as examples, we now have house after house (MCM, tract, bungalows, etc) with truly terrible DIY painted exterior brick and stone, fireplaces, etc.

(Before the backlash I’m sure to get — ”Painted brick has been around forever! It’s classic!” … yes, many brick homes of certain ages and styles have been beautifully painted white throughout history. I’m not saying it should never, ever, ever be done. I’m saying it shouldn’t be the automatic suggestion in every situation to every OP for every house because other creative solutions aren’t considered.)

My apologies to the OP for veering off a bit. :)

• auntthelma
    2 years ago

I live in a destination summer resort town. We have spent the past eight years shoring up and restoring an 1890’s Captain’s house. Before this, we lived in and improved an 1800’s small Cape style house.

The current trend here is to buy a house, tear it down and replace it with new and white and metal. i am on the ‘restore’ side of the building fence.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

You already have a light fixture for the fireplace so I would capitalize on that. A nice painting with lighting has the potential to look intentional and a beautiful focal point.

Traditional Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

"It’s just a HGTV, Pinterest, and Instagram bandwagon trend, which will inevitably fall out of style. Except unlike painting walls or wood, permanent."

UN true. People have been painting out that which they do not like Fireplaces included!!!..........for DECADES. Many decades before internet was glimmer in anyone's eye. Good lord.....can we stop with the paint police thing? : (

Nobody would argue that the best solution is fur out , drywall, eliminate the recess, and it's easy to do that when a bit more resources allow. Why torture yourself in the meantime, when a couple gallons of paint eliminate your "personal eyesore", and can in a few days DIY effort be DONE.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Someone didn’t read my whole post.

Someone needs to take a breath.

It’s not ”policing” to give other viewpoints, Jan.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

We painted our basement’s brick fireplace white and it transformed the room, but even more so, some changes in decor had the biggest impact. Oftentimes, I offer advice that was not requested, so ignore if not interested. I see an overall need for room to feel lighter and more coordinated.

The fireplace is an easy fix by layering and if possible, directing the pot light to emphasize the lovely stone.

Suggest a softer, casual rug that can drive other choices and fireplace will benefit as well, by being part of a modern, rustic feel in room. You could also paint walls lighter.

I‘d move your shelving under other window and rethink its layering

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Just paint it!! You don’t like it, it’s not a quick fad when 3 major style trends show it continuously. It will transform the room!! Use what Jan suggested. Then work in the mantle, mirror etx, it’s not like it’s custom stone work.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida