Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bablabla75

7.5 vs. 9 ft Christmas tree? How hard is it to decorate a 9 ft tree?

Sarah
2 years ago

We're about to close on our new house after a lifetime in small, crappy apartments. We're finally replacing our ancient 4-ft tree with something large that will fit nicely in our fancy new living room. We expect to have it for a long time, so we're willing to spend some money, but I'm conflicted on what size to get.

Our living room has 14' ceilings that slope down on the sides to 10'. According to every site on the internet, we should get a tree that's 10 feet or more. I'm reluctant to do that because it sounds like a lot of work to decorate and store. I thought I could round down to 9', but that still sounds like a big hassle to decorate. I'll have to have a stepladder, and it'll be a hassle to string the lights and do everything else. So I convinced myself that a 7.5 foot tree was the right choice, but I wonder if I'll regret that later and would have wished I'd spent a few hundred more dollars on the 9 ft.

I mocked up some trees in a photo of the living room, based on the convenient fact that our doors are 8' tall. Here's how that looks:

I feel like the 9' definitely looks better. But also... maybe it's going to be too much work. We aren't showy people, and I don't need to have some tremendous fancy tree that "befits" our room. I really enjoy decorating the tree every year, but my husband doesn't care too much, so I'll mostly be doing it alone unless/until our toddler grows up and is interested in doing it too. So I'm concerned that if I get the better-looking 9 ft tree, it'll become so inconvenient that it might materially harm an activity I really enjoy. I don't want to get to the point where decorating the Christmas tree is work and not fun.

Has anybody had experiences with a 9 ft or 7.5 ft tree that they could share to help me decide on this? Is a 9 ft too much work and I'd be happier with a 7.5?

Additional relevant facts:

• Maybe that isn't exactly the best place for the tree. We haven't decided. That's one option and a convenient place to mock it up in the living room.
  • I don't want a pre-lit tree. I'm picky about my Christmas lights because I am cursed with the ability to see LEDs' strobe, which I find distracting and unpleasant. I also like a certain kind of twinkle that is hard to find. So I want the freedom to change lights out without having to replace the tree.
  • We're considering one of Balsam Hill's flip trees. That seems to add about $500 to the price and buys us convenience, but also it means we have a very large tree to store the other 11 months of the year. Our new house is big, so I guess we'd have the space, but I just worry I may regret that choice later. Our house is single story, so stairs/attics/basements aren't really a concern.

Thanks!

Comments (80)

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"Buy the shorter tree, decorate it, then lift it onto a 2 foot platform."

Exactly the suggestion I was going to make. I have several small trees that I use around the house /on various tables, etc. Small trees are significantly easier to manage.

Of course, this assumes you don't have small children or pets that might knock over the tree ... a tree falling from a 2' height is worse than falling from ground level.

My favorite now is a 10 foot pre-lit tree. The lights are BY FAR the worst part of decorating a larger tree.

Oh, yes -- a pre-lit tree is a wonderful thing.

Another idea /an extension of the pre-lit concept: Splurge on one of those "rolling tree stands" with a skirt that you lift up /zip around the tree. This means you can work hard at decorating the tree "just so" this year ... then roll it out to the corner of the garage (or whatever space you might have) and next year "roll it back out", already decorated.

I don't have one of these, but I really want one.

IMO a 7.5' tree in that space looks silly .

No, it doesn't.

One last thought: you're talking about JUST the tree, but do you plan to include some greenery, etc. on those windows? If so, consider "the whole decorating package", not just the tree.

Sarah thanked Mrs Pete
  • User
    2 years ago

Congrats on your new house! You have a beautiful space to show off your tree. I would go for the 9' tree or even 10'. The Balsam Hill flip tree is life changing lol! I have a 7.5' in our family room and 9' in our foyer. And I have the ones that have white and multi colored lights so I can switch it up if I want. They usually have good sales around this time of year. I am only 5' tall and use a 2-step ladder to do most of the tree and a 4-step ladder to do the very top.

Sarah thanked User
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Get the taller tree, but select one that is prelit and perhaps more narrow. A short tree will look like a mistake.

For my 10' tree that splits into 3 sections, I purchased two Rubbermaid Xmas tree storage bags and hung them from the garage ceiling out of the way. Some people just place a giant bag over the tree and move it into the garage until next season so they don't have to decorate every year. Your choice.

Sarah thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • tozmo1
    2 years ago

Highly recommend prelit regardless of size. That way if you can't get it together the first year, at least you have a beautifully lit tree to enjoy sans decorations which happens to me some years. Turn off the lights and use your imagination after a long day.

For those plain ornaments, use them and each year as the toddler gets older, have a project together where you decorate a few of them and build a collection of her/his artistic talents over time.

More important than a decorating party is an undecorating party. My dear friend and I do it together at each of our houses. We haven't found any other takers yet, but at least it's a party of two.

All the best to you in your beautiful new home!

Sarah thanked tozmo1
  • CYNTHIA JONES
    2 years ago

A high ceiling in the living room was on our must-have-cannot-be-compromised list when we bought our house specifically because we wanted room for a big tree. So I vote big tree.

We buy a 10' fresh every year. We live in Oregon so fresh trees are cheap and plentiful. (BUT omg, it's a pain to transport- we've started renting a uhaul trailer for a day just so we don't have to put it on the car's roof. We also have to have a friend stop by to help us get it in the house. After reading the posts above, I'm seriously considering going with a shorter tree and a platform).

I wouldn't worry about filling the tree. You don't have to have all the ornaments the first year - if the tree looks empty add some inexpensive garlands or use tinsel and you won't notice. Then build your collection over time. Trust me, it will keep growing - at this point, I can't get all my ornaments on the tree.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am overwhelmed with all the wonderful ideas and great suggestions here! I think I've definitely decided to go with the 9' tree. (And I will post pictures later!) However, this introduces a new dilemma:

I'm pretty sure we want to use Twinkly (brand) lights (https://youtu.be/8EzhO-ZPSvU). We ordered a couple of strings already, though they are still returnable. However, I just learned that in the tree I want, Balsam Hill actually offers lights that are pre-lit with Twinkly (!), which is great. I could totally buy one of those and return the Twinkly strings we already bought (or use them elsewhere in the house). However, the catch is that Balsam hill doesn't offer Twinkly lights in one of their flip trees. And the flip tree also looks pretty awesome – especially for a 9' which will be tall and not the most manageable.

So I guess my next question is this: is it more of a hassle to set up and fluff the tree, or is it more of a hassle to light the tree? I could see it going either way. What do you guys think? If I have to choose between pre-lit and flip, what's the best choice? I tend to be picky about getting my lighting even, but I'll just assume for now that Balsam Hill will do a good job with that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

For a tree over 8’, I recommend pre-lit. I always add more, but this gives you base amount. Getting the mix of coloration right can be tricky though. I find the pre-lit tress have lighting problems starting at year 2. So get good quality. If you don’t see yourself doing a big tree here for at least 5 years, not worth the investment. I might consider a real tree for this year and see how it works out. No storage problems. I know they are very expensive though so it’s a dilemma for sure. Good luck. Let us know what you do!

• User
    2 years ago

I would suggest the pre-lit. I HATE stringing lights though. You'll have to fluff either one you get. I feel I have to fluff the flip tree more than my previous trees. It is also a pain to try to get it back in the bag. I have to set it on its side and sit on it to get it closed lol. The one I have comes with a small remote so you can control the lights. You can choose white, multi or both white/multi. If you're particular about your lights, then I would look for one that has the most tips/lights. I think in the description it tells you how many lights are included.

• User
    2 years ago

Here are my 9’x50” Silverado Slim flip tree (my cat was just told not to touch the tree lol) and my 7.5’x60” Fraser Fir flip tree.

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

(my cat was just told not to touch the tree lol)

Bwahahahahaha!

• User
    2 years ago

@Aphaea Can you tell by the look on his face that he didn't listen lol! Luckily all ornaments on that tree are shatterproof!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Oh I love that kitty story! Is that a Siamese blue point? Very sassy! Love it. We had lavender points and one brown over the years. So talkative!

• User
    2 years ago

He is a seal mink Sphynx. His name is Bare :) I always wanted a Siamese they are so pretty.

Here he is completely ignoring my do not touch the tree rule haha!

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Would someone please explain how to "fluff" an aritifical tree? Thank you!

• User
    2 years ago

I always start from the bottom and separate the branches. Then I move to the inside of the tree and move/bend the branches in random directions and work my way out. I end up touching every branch except for the ones against the wall down low. The goal is just to make it look fuller and like a natural tree. I suggest using gloves. My tree came with gloves in two different sizes.

• User
    2 years ago

@sarah

Here is a pic of my 9’ flip tree (I just happen to be putting them up tonight!). I didn’t know when I ordered it that it would be in two pieces. I assumed it flipped to the 9’ size. You still have to put the top section on. So make sure you have room to store everything. Frontgate makes a nice rolling tree bag. I had one for my previous tree. The top section fit in the bag below the lowest branches. It was a battle for one person to move that thing from our basement. The bottom portion of the flip is heavy but it’s a bit easier to haul upstairs. Even easier when hubby helps out lol. Good luck with your decision!

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Thank you Jentstl.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User Thank you for all the photos and info! I'm definitely feeling conflicted, because everybody is like "pre-lit is amazing and a game-changer!" but also everybody is like "flip trees are amazing and a game-changer!" It sounds like I could get the pre-lit Twinkly 9' (non-flip) and then also buy their rolling stand + storage bag (https://www.balsamhill.com/p/rolling-christmas-tree-storage-bag). That would let me roll it away into a closet, though not without needing to re-fluff the next year. But it would be easier than having to take it in and our of boxes, and that rolling would definitely make a difference. But then no flip. What do you think? Is that rolling stand going to make a difference to how easy it is? It's hard to know how much to value the flip when I haven't actually used it and I don't know how much of a hassle it is to move with or without it.

@Lizzie Borden Here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CSbTvGP7w

@Flo Mangan Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like the one I'm looking at has a three-year warranty, so hopefully it would cover us for a while.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Just make sure you understand their warranty program and if they will be in busy when you need them. Also, if you pay to ship tree back to them.

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

We lived in NY and our house had 18 ft. ceilings. There was a floor to ceiling window that ran from the floor to the slanted ceiling. The top of the window was slanted like the ceiling.

In the early years we did 15-16 ft live trees. It was quite a job. We used tall ladders to get the lights and the tree topper on. We would tip the tall trees and my husband would hold the tree tilted with a rope around it. Crazy when I remember those days.

When pre-lit artificial trees came out, I went for 12 foot. It was so much easier because the lights were already on the tree. The tree is in 4 sections with each section attaching to the next so it made it easier to store and put together. Each section had its own lights which plugged in to the next section. You would start at the bottom section, slide the next section on that pole, plug in those lights, etc. until the whole tree was done.

Storage wasn't bad because all the branches flip up (with the lights) and the four sections were only 3ft each. The tree comes with a box to store it.

I loved real trees but they were too difficult to decorate and undecorate! Your window would look lovely with a taller tree. I would suggest the prelit, flip trees. So much easier to deal with.

Jane

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I just read reviews for the Balsam Hill trees and they are not positive. Maybe there is different brand you are considering?

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

Saw this online. QVC. They had different heights.

I actually bought a 6ft flip branch with lights two years ago at Home Depot. We no longer live in NY and moved to Florida. Our house has 8ft ceilings. So downsized and its so easy to set up the flip tree. But I saw that QVC has lots of prelit trees. Might be easier to order online. Maybe Amazon sells them also.

Jane

https://www.qvc.com/75-Lit-Spruce-Christmas-Tree-by-Nearly-Natural.product.H391452.html?sc=SRCH

• User
    2 years ago

@Sarah After putting up my 7.5' tree tonight, I'm wondering how great the flip is now (I don't dare tell my hubby this becuase I HAD TO HAVE THIS TREE lol!). It can be stored easier in a closet if you don't have the height in the closet for a non-flip tree. I completely forgot that you still have to put the top on (even though this is the 3rd year I've had this tree lol). You still have to fluff it like a non-flip tree (honestly that is the worst part of an artifical tree...I defintely lose the Christmas spirt doing that task).

If I had to choose between pre-lit and flip, I would go with the pre-lit and defintely get the rolling stand/bag. One of our first trees we had was stored in a box and it was big, heavy and awkward to try to get into the stand. Once you put it in the rolling stand, it's there to stay. Neither bag is easy to get on/off. The Frontgate bag (and I assume the BH bag is the same) rolls down to the bottom and gets cinched under the tree and then you put your tree skirt over that. The bags for the flip tree come off completely and get stored wherever.

I noticed a few branches were broken this year, but I will just shove them back in there and put that side against the wall. I wondered if the flipping action caused them to break? So I will make sure I'm super careful when I flip my tall one. Tips seem to fall off here and there (cat loves batting them around). When I first got the shorter tree, the top wouldn't light up. They sent a new one right away and I didn't have to return the original one.

Be sure to let us know what you decide to get!

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

Sarah, I didn't catch the whole commercial, but when I was at the club tonight i looked up at the TV for a second and saw something about Balsam Hill have a early black Friday sale.

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

I had no idea what a flip tree was--had never heard of it before this thread today--but I checked out BH trees and found an explanation-of-sorts on there. I still can't figure it out though; what does it do that makes it desirable?

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Thank you Sarah.

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Chloebud. How do you get the fresh tree cuttings from Lowe’s and HD? Do they sell them?

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Lizzie, IME you can just ask for them and they are free. I have my DH bring me some home every year from one of his many trips for extra light clips or something 😂

• mojomom
    2 years ago

After 15 ish years of not even having a tree at home because we always spent Christmas at our ski house where DD lived and she had a tree, we (semi) retired and built our permanent house in our ski house town 4 years ago. The first year we had just moved in over Thanksgiving, so too busy unpacking and getting settled for a tree. The next year, my mother passed away over Thanksgiving and I just couldn’t manage a tree. But the last two years I have made up for lost time with 10’ then 12+’ real trees! We get it the day after Thanksgiving and DSIL helps with the top where the extension ladder is needed, but I do the rest with a regular 5’ ladder over the weekend and really enjoy the process. Honestly Honestly, it is easier and faster than I expected. Our ceiling slopes from about 11’ to 19’.

whether real or artificial, I say go big!

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Just heard on the news last night that there will be a shortage of artificial Christmas trees this year! Many are, apparently, stuck in those container ships that are lined up to unload. If any of you are considering donating your old Christmas trees to Habitat or Goodwill, do so NOW!

• User
    2 years ago

@Aphaea The ease of setup and storage was why I wanted the flip tree. I had planned on storing it (my first one...7.5') in our closet on the same level where it is displayed, but it is so wide that it wouldn't fit in the closet. So I attempted to store it in the garage in the box it came it. Well, there was no way it was getting back into that box lol. I could barely get the storage bag around the thing. I didn't attempt to try to get the 9' one in the box, but I may try that this year. They are much easier getting up/down the basement stairs compared to my previous 7.5' and 9' trees especially with two people.

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Pool, thank you. I’d like to try using them. I guess I’ll Google how to decorate with fir tree clippings. :))

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Mojomom your trees are beautiful. That’s a lot of work; good to know that you enjoy it. I am looking forward to taking the tree down from our attic, decorating, and hope it turns out well. I’ll come back here for inspiration.

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

jentstl, thanks for the explanation.

I donated my lipstick red tree to my favorite thrift store a couple of months ago. Now that I am in my own home, done in a soothing white and green, I planned on getting this tree but will probably wait until next year due to three youngish cats that think anything is fair game for chewing, knocking over or otherwise destroying. I have three lamps to repair and have had to store in drawers a number of sentimental objects that I do not want hurt. My poor Boston fern is hurting so I will stick to silk flowers and plants until they stop.

This year, I am going to do something that may actualy become permanent. I may go small, that is multiple tabletop white trees in various materials (paper, feather, glass, etc.). That means I would no longer stuggle with a large tree even though I would love one of those 8-9 footers! I envy the OP having hers and am looking foward to seeing it.

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Lizzie, I tied pieces together with wire and wrapped ribbon over that and hung as a swag. Also I tuck pieces on my mantle behind some decor.

But I've heard of people making wreaths and garlands with it. but I'm too lazy for that :)

• krystalmoon2009
    2 years ago

We have 12' vaulted celings so I have always used 9' trees, except the one year when I went with a tabletop trying to make it easier on myself. My oldest son said it looked like a bush in the room, so back to big tree. I usually put it up a week or so before I plan decorating it and then spend 3-4 hours on a Saturday decorating. Both of my 9' have been prelit, the first one was so heavy we needed help getting it up and the prelit portion was a pain on that one. Never knew what section wasn't going to light and we paid a pretty penny for it 24 years ago. I removed all those lights the 3RD year and strung my own lights after that. We replaced that tree about 2 years ago with 9' one I could handle myself, took another chance on prelit, so we will see how this 3rd year goes with the lights.

• Tara
    2 years ago

Yes, it is a hassle to set up, decorate, and store a large tree! Especially if you are getting older or not very limber or agile for getting up on a ladder (of if you're just clumsy like me!) Imagine stretching to put on ornaments or that star or angle on top and then, boom! you slip and fall off the ladder right into the tree, then the tree falls over and you have to go to the Urgent Care center. Sure, big trees look great, but it becomes a chore! And the bigger the tree, the more ornaments and lights you need (unless it is a pre-lit tree), and the money to buy them, and the space to store them. I say go with the shorter one and decorate that gorgeous window with other things like evergreen swags and lights. Like others have said, you can put it up on a pedestal or box and hide it with a beautiful tree skirt or Christmas village.

As a side note....the first Christmas after we moved into a house with 14 foot vaulted ceilings, we went to a tree farm and cut down a tree that was 15 feet tall. It was HUGE. It barely fit through the door, and we had to cut off more of the trunk to be able to put on the angel on top. The husband had to wire the tree to a stud in the wall to keep it from falling over. But it WAS beautiful.

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Great idea Pool, and it sounds easy!

• chloebud
    2 years ago

"Chloebud. How do you get the fresh tree cuttings from Lowe’s and HD? Do they sell them?"

Lizzie, just go to where they sell the trees in the parking lot. They have tons of cuttings off the bottoms from trees they sell. You can take all you want...no charge. I've gotten most of mine from Home Depot. I hose them all off at home then stick them in a big bucket in water to keep fresh. Just nice to have on hand for whatever you like. I use them to make swags for our lamp posts along the driveway and mailbox. I also use them for our mantels and in containers around the house.

This is a simple swag for a lamp post a few years ago...cuttings courtesy of Home Depot.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The deed is done! And not only that, this tree is the first thing we have ordered shipped to the new house, which we will close on one day before the start of the delivery window. So that's exciting! Thanks, everyone, for all your help! I'll be sure to post photos.

Also, we measured the ceiling height of the rental we're in while we wait for our house to be done. It's exactly 9 feet. Nine feet is BIG. Hopefully I'm ready for this! I bought thirty yards of 10" iridescent white mesh ribbon on Amazon, which will hopefully look great with the Twinkly lights! (I'm going to cut it up into pieces rather than string it around, which should give me 45 sections that are 24" each. Hopefully that will be enough!)

PS - @Flo Mangan, I appreciate your comment warning me about the reviews. From my research, it seemed that most of the negative things I saw were around people getting questionable items from Amazon third-party sellers, people not understanding the proper way to fluff the tree, people getting a cheaper or less-realistic tree and not liking it, or problems that would manifest within the return window because they were manufacturing issues. This BH tree still seemed like the best choice for us.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Great. Good work. Watch for messages about delivery. Several orders I have placed recently have improved their delivery dates. I mention this given your tight closing/delivery date. Very exciting and I think it will be beautiful!!

• User
    2 years ago

Awesome! I’m sure it will look amazing!

Also regarding reviews. I’m horrible about leaving good reviews, but I don’t hesitate to leave a bad one. I need to get better at leaving good ones.

Enjoy your new home and tree!

• chloebud
    2 years ago

"I’m horrible about leaving good reviews, but I don’t hesitate to leave a bad one."

@User, I think that's the case with most people.

Sarah, nicely done!

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

Reviews are an interesting subject. I'd like to open a discussion on them and talk about how we leave them. Please join me for "Let's Talk Reviews: Effective Ones and Worthless Ones."

• lindsey_9002
    2 years ago

If I ever build a new house, a dedicated Christmas tree closet would be on my must-have lists. It would be on the same floor that the tree is on and big enough so that the tree could easily fit in there fully assembled. I would leave the tree fully decorated, ornaments still attached (I attach my ornaments with the wire hangers wound around the branches a couple loops rather than just hung there so they are secured and can’t easily fall off when bumped/knocked), and the whole thing would be on wheels so I would just have to wheel the tree out of the closet, plug it in and voila!

My current tree is 9 feet and while I do enjoy decorating trees, it’s not AS enjoyable when no one wants to help or cares that much about it. I grew up decorating the tree as a family so it felt like a tradition with family bonding time rather than a chore/task like it does now. A large tree can be an undertaking when you’re stuck doing it by yourself, especially if you’re like me and like a full tree! I do get help when I ask but it’s much more enjoyable knowing others enjoy it and look forward to doing it without me having to ask.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Moved in today and set it up! It could use some additional fluffing, and we still have our temporary furniture everywhere, but I thought I'd share anyway. :)

• Amy10N
    2 years ago

Congrats @Sarah! It all looks beautiful! Have a wonderful Christmas.

Sarah thanked Amy10N
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Thanks for quick pic Sarah. Looks very pretty and I am so happy you are moved in. Takes forever to get settled, so take your time and have a wonderful Christmas!!

Sarah thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Beautiful! Wishing you a wonderful first Christmas in your new home. :)

Sarah thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

Just a quick review on the Flip trees..we ordered one last year and sent it back! Where the tree half flips up there is a big empty slot/spot and the quality was not what we thought it would be for over $1400 from Frontgate. They charged us a restocking fee but we just did not like it at all so took the loss and moved on. We just ordered a stow&grow tree from Treetopia.com for next year…keeping my fingers crossed…2 of my friends have it and love it so giving it a try! Only available on 9’ and smaller.