Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_edmond

I really want plantation shutters, but would they look weird

Liz Edmond
2 years ago

We've just moved into our beautiful new home, and need to replace the window coverings in many of the rooms. However, they all have these heavy black aluminium security screens on them, which all homes in this area have, as we're in the tropics, and they provide extra security when they're open. I really want white plantation shutters, but am thinking that they might look weird. Does anyone have any ideas or comments regarding this?

Comments (34)

• M Riz
    2 years ago

They would look much better than mini blinds from the inside.

From the outside, if you have white shutters installed, the security grates will be more visible against white. If its a very common feature in your neighborhood (security screens), i wouldnt worry about the look. You could also go for shutter colors that blend in with the security screen, thats a personal preference.

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for responding M Riz, I’m not concerned about the outside look, more just the inside. I’m going for contemporary pastels inside, so definitely white or at least very pale

• M Riz
    2 years ago

The plantation shutters will give you a clean, neat streamlined contemporary look. Im building a modern home and I will have them. P.S. eliminate the need for any other window coverings so they lend themselves nicely to a more contemporary space. The wider the slats, the more modern they look.

• Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It’s impossible to say for sure just seeing this one picture, but from what you describe, and your style of house/location, it sounds like they’d look fine. But I love them in general, they’re a classic, versatile look. M Riz shared good advice.

Be prepared for the shutter haters here to tell you how much they hate shutters just because they hate shutters (not taking individual context into consideration). :D

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

NO to shutters and honestly what is it you want from window coverings like heat and UV control or just something pretty ? I do dislike shutters even very often on exterior. Interior shutters are heavy looking, block views and light and I have been removing them in clients homes for a long time.. Post some pics of the exterior and more of the interior please.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

In my experience plantation shutters are often installed incorrectly but even when they are they really restrict the view and decrease the connection between indoors and outdoors. So IMO I would recommend against them and opt for another type of window covering if you have to have something.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

View comparison between various shutters and the darling of this board, solar shades:

Of course the security screens will somewhat impede views to the outside, so I’d go with what you like looking at from the inside, and what fits best with your style. Plantation shutters don’t impede views any more than other coverings, but do provide more privacy. And are so much more versatile in function … with shades, you only have two modes: up or down.

• worthy
    2 years ago

Our last 20 years of several homes were replete with wide shutters. ("Plantation" is a problematic term best avoided). I didn't find they impeded views while providing privacy. But in our latest home, mrs. worthy insists on all or nothing shades; and sheers alone on the public rooms. Puts you on your best behaviour!

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Totally agree with the pro shutter comments. We have them throughout our house. They look great and are so easy to clean. They also can add value to a home, unlike most other window treatments (a good thing since they're not inexpensive).

I think they'd be nice in your case, especially if you're not concerned with the exterior view. It seems they would emphasize the black screens from the outside, but any light colored window treatments would likely do the same. That's a good thing since they're not inexpensive.

As Jinx mentioned, "...go with what you like looking at from the inside, and what fits best with your style."

• chispa
    2 years ago

Not sure what security screens have to do with being in the tropics? Usually it has to do with being in an area that gets targeted with home break-ins.

I also don't like plantation shutters, but lived just fine in a house with them, since they came with the house. Luckily they didn't use them in the back of the house where the main views were.

In your house, plantation shutter will look no more weird than the mini blinds do! In other words they both look fine! If you like them then use them.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

"If you like them then use them."

I think that's what's important. As you can see, opinions really vary with shutters. There's no right or wrong here. It's all about what looks good to you. Go with the shutters if you like them.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I would investigate some newer options. Hunter silhouettes are a great option and much lighter for a tropic location. There are other similar choices too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Here is a option to show look.

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your input. You’ve all certainly given me more food for thought. I’ve also managed to find some images of plantation shutters in front of black security screens. I have attached these, they are the first 3 photos, the last three are of our home so you can see my style and some of the rooms I’m looking to replace window coverings in.

Chispa my area is similar to any other area where you wouldn’t want to leave windows open without secure coverage overnight or when you’re out, as a security measure. As I’m in the tropics, all year round either the aircon is on or in cooler days the windows are open.

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Actually, first two are examples and last 2 are of our home, as I didn’t realise I could only add 4. Here’s another in our home

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Seeing your rooms, I think shutters would look great!

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

I agree with the pros and others that the beauty of the plantation shutters is from the inside. Like others, I wouldn't worry about how they look with the security screens, if you must have them.

But the shutters I have seen have a border to them, and they fit inside the window opening. So, if there's a 1.5" frame around the shutter, that'd block 3" of the window glazing. Perhaps there's a newer type of plantation shutter that doesn't do that. Or, perhaps your view isn't really worth worrying about!

I understand that often Plantation shutters would indeed improve the monetary value of the house, depending on where you live. But it really is location-dependent. I think this is a question for YOU, because others don't know your site/views/property values/real estate market, etc.

I don't think the issue is either you love or hate plantation shutters, the issue is whether they're right for your situation. And if you know about all of the important decision factors, and all of the options, and they're still right for you, then they're right for you!

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Jinx and Mrs. S, I appreciate your responses.

Mrs. S the security screens also have a border to them, so not too worried about a border on the plantation shutters, in fact it could be a benefit hiding the black screens. The views are nice, pleasant from the front and tropical gardens around the pool out the back, but am now thinking that plantation shutters won’t impede the view 👌🏼

I have the window consultant coming next week, so I’ll update this post on what I finally decide, but at this stage I am thinking it will be plantation shutters. It’ll take a while for them to be made, but I’ll also update with a few photos when they’re up

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I forgot to mention earlier — I invited myself to come stay with you in the tropics after the holidays. 😁

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha ha! Thanks Jinx, you and many others 🤣

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I have shutters on all the windows in my Florida home. I love the look and the way it unified the various windows.

However, they are quite costly, when doing many windows.

Some of my neighbors used wide slat venetian blinds

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m sure they look gorgeous. I love them, was just not sure over my black security windows, but do now think they’ll be fine

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Just keep style of shutters as streamlined as you can. They help disguise the security’s screens. So I think you have made the decision.

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Eld6161, yes they are expensive. Potentially I may do the shutters on all the living room windows and main bedroom, and neutral blinds on the other bedrooms

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flo Mangan, yes, agreed, I want simple and clean lines👍🏼

• K Laurence
    2 years ago

A lot of nicer window coverings are expensive, getting more so everyday. I spent $12k + on flat fold Roman shades for 4 bedrooms & master bath a few years ago. Nice fabric though, fairly large windows.

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, agreed K, I spent $15K on beautiful Roman blinds in our last home - family room which included double sliding doors, the master bedroom and formal lounge. But they really made the rooms

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

For anyone who wanted to know how the shutters turned out, we’ve finally had them installed, so here are a few photos. We love them and are very happy with our decision

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Beautiful, really makes the windows look finished. Enjoy

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks M Riz, yes, we think so too, and being white, it lightens an otherwise quite dark room

• Jilly
    2 years ago

They look great! Glad you’re happy with them. Thanks for the update. :)

• olychick
    2 years ago

Beautiful and they seem to have accomplished the goal of minimizing the security screens.

• Liz Edmond
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, they have 🙏🏽