Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michie22

Bathroom Layout Help

MGdecor
2 years ago

We are planning to renovate our ensuite bathroom and are playing around with the vanity size we can comfortably install. Our current vanity is 68" and situated next to a bidet we never use. Thus, the bidet will be gone and we can get a larger double sink vanity in it's place. We are also getting rid of the bathtub, again, because we never use it and already have another bathroom with a tub. We are planning to install a larger curbless shower and thinking of just placing a glass shield without a door.
I've attached photos of my current bathroom, the shower design I have in mind with just a shield, and 3 digital designs with different vanity sizes.
Also, the toilet is staying put in it's current spot.
Please let me know what you think of the designs, which is best, and any other thoughts or considerations for this renovation!

Comments (42)

• elcieg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A question...you are sure you want a double sink vanity? Not my favorite, as in "too close for comfort". Consider two pedestal sinks, two mirrors and work in a wall storage area to hold all the bathroom sundries you don't want exposed.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's not really my aesthetic. I would prefer a double vanity with storage.  I prefer clean lines like the attached photos...

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The question I really want answered is how long I can make my vanity and have enough space to circulate around the shower area.

• catbuilder
    2 years ago

What's with the empty space in the corner, and what is that gray thing next to the toilet?

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cat builder, that grey thing is how our wall sticks out in the room. That wall has a bend. The empty area on the plan would be where you undress and enter the shower,  or towel dry as you leave.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Weedyacres, that's exactly what I proposed as a plan to my husband! But he thought it'd be strange to block off the window area with glass. I totally agree with you!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

With the objective being a longer vanity:

Consider removing both the and shower and wall in between. then put the toilet backed beneath the window and the new tub/shower between window/toilet and that wall with the entry door. Then utilize the entire left wall for a vanity with one sink across from the toilet (hidden behind wall between toilet and new tub/shower location) and the other sink where it would be the most convenient ... perhaps centered with the tub/shower.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I originally wanted to move the toilet by the window but our contractor advised against it as the plumbing would have to run through the joists, which is against code. They could run the plumbing underneath it bit that's a much bigger job and I'm not interested in making this reno more expensive than it already is going  to be.

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

If you want a 2 sink vanity (remember they offer far less efficient storage that a 1 sink vanity,) and the toilet isn't going to move, why not have a vanity the full length of the 100.4 wall, and move the shower over where vanity is, and pull the door down a foot or two to give the shower more space?

Something like this:

You'd have a longer vanity, a space near the towel racks for dressing and undressing, and plenty of room for a decent sized shower.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Carrie B, thank you for your drawing! I've never thought of that layout. However, isn't the vanity usually placed near the entry of the bathroom,  and the shower further away. Seems a little unusual for these stations to switch locations.

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

I can't think of any rational reason why the vanity needs to be closer to the door... I would put the shower entry near the towel racks - the end closest to the vanity.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Carrie B, I just measured the depth of the space where my vanity is currently.  It's only 31" deep and definitely not deep enough for a shower. There is also a walk in closet behind the wall to the right if the door. The bathroom door cannot be repositioned.

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

Ah, OK. So, toilet can't be moved and door can't be moved. That makes it harder. Its confounding because you actually have a pretty big bathroom (my master is 5 x 12, yours is about 8x13) but the space is so constrained that you end up with a LOT of wasted, inefficient space.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

My2c- Make shower full length to wall with knee wall at your (now extended) vanity. The glass shower will make your bathroom look so much larger. You could leave the window but waterproofing will be super important because thats where you would get a leak. Or make the window a bit smaller and above the splash zone. I have 2 rectangular windows above my shower heads and they let in a lot of light.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

M Riz, can you show me a photo of what you mean? I'm not sure what a knee wall at the vanity is.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

I wouldnt have it so tall tho, probably 4 inches above the countertop like a 4” backsplash .

• Erica Langley
    2 years ago

​I agree with the others shower all the way to wall. Vanity all the way to shower. Most bang for your buck.  The way you have it now it's a lot of waisted space.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

You could really have a beautiful bathroom, right now its mid 90s builders special. I had something very similar to yours, It was a large bathroom with poor space planning. Once you 86 the bidet and that corner tub, you have a ton of space to work with.

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

Is a 100” shower hugely long? I’m old school, I guess, but that would feel like a locker room shower to me.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Now now a days, showers have gotten huge. Mine is just over 10’ with two regular shower heads and a rain shower. Some people say that a large shower is cold but in Florida ive had no problems. Its for sure a luxury but its nice to have a wide open shower. The posters shower now is what looks like a 3x3 closed in closet. A beautifully open shower will be quite an improvement.

• Mindy Thomas
    2 years ago

​​​If privacy isn't an issue or you can change the window to create more privacy, I would run the shower from the right corner over to the left, leaving room for a linen closet in the left corner.  You'd have to get a door for the shower though since the shower head would have to be on the left side where you'd need to enter.  The nice thing about that though is you can turn the shower on to warm up without having to walk in it.  The knee wall for the sink is a great idea to utilize the space to its full potential.  If you don't think you'll need the linen closet, I would run the shower all the way across as others have suggested, visually it'll look much nicer and feel more put together.  I'm not sure what you'd put in the back corner to make the space usable.  Good luck!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

We are planning to install a larger curbless shower and thinking of just placing a glass shield without a door.

If you're planning on a curbless shower, will you have a linear drain? Where will that be? Does the shower need to 54.43" wide? Why not consider a 48" wide shower rather than 54.43"? Think of tile upkeep as well as comfort and looks when planning your shower. Would a 80-in double-sink retail vanity simplify your options? Why are the measurements so "precise"? I have never seen that before. I imagine 36" between your shower and vanity would be plenty of walkthrough space. Tape it out on your floor with boxes on either side to see if it works for you.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tartanmeup, my husband was using software that resulted in these precise measurements.  I agree with your recommendations and will modify the drawings accordingly.  I was already planning this out in my head :)

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I modified the drawing for a shower that spans across the 100" wall. We are considering a retail vanity that is 84" wide. This allows for a towel bar to be placed between the shower and vanity wall.

• weedyacres
    2 years ago

How about a 96" vanity? Put the towel bar on the pony wall next to the vanity, and swing the door towards the toilet so you can access the towel bar.

Or you could make the vanity go all the way to the shower, then put the towel bar on the toilet side, either on a pony wall or above it.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

You could have s shower door that swings both into the shower and outside (thats how mine is set up) extend that counter to the shower. If not, thats a lot of wasted space.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My plan doesn't account for a pony wall. The shower enclosure is full glass, not half drywall.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If we build a vanity that meets the shower, I don't see where I would place the towel bar. Could someone show me?

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Im not a fan of towel bars lol, I have hooks in all of my ensuites but i did bite the bullet and put a towel bar in the pool bath along with hooks, my kids never hang their towels on the bars. Hooks keep our stuff much neater. -2c you could use the shower door handle as a towel bar, and whats the story with the wall adjacent to the toilet? can a bar go there? ive also have seen them mounted to the bathroom door.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is currently a towel bar next to my shower. However,  if I make the shower 48" deep there will only be room for a hook, not a full bar. I've taped out 84" for a vanity on the other side of the room and that provides enough space for a bar in that location.
    Seems most comfortable if I swing the door open on that side, with the door hinge closest to the toilet.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I like the idea of the shower that spans across the 100" wall. If you find it too long maybe you can use some of the space on the left to add a small closet accessed from the room outside the bathroom?

• Mindy Thomas
    2 years ago

Depending on where your putting the entrance, you could leave it on the same side you have it on or get a handle for the door that doubles as a towel bar.  If this is your forever home and you like it where you've shown, I'd do it, otherwise, I'd consider utilizing a hook in lieu of a shorter sink, accessories can be easily changed based on one's taste and a larger vanity is a good selling point.  If you've never used a hook, you could always try it out now and see how you feel about it.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We measured the long wall again and realized it's 5 inches longer.  We modified the drawing to reflect the change and moved the glass door hinge to the opposite side. I'll look into what larger size the retail vanity I have in mind is available in. There's obviously  a custom option,  but I'm trying to keep the spending reasonable!

• weedyacres
    2 years ago

A rack over the toilet could look something like this.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Is that a blank wall? Can you post a pic? Thats a lot of space.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

M Riz, that wall backs onto a linen closet and the 2nd floor stair way. I'll post a photo later today, but nothing can be done to make that wall deeper.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Im just thinking additional hanging space, not altering the wall.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

How about this plan? We have made the shower 48x60 and created a nook for a vanity desk beside it. This seems like a functional use of space where the shower is still large and I have an area to get ready in. We are thinking of a kneewall on one side of the shower to create space for the vanity to sit it. It could be shallow, maybe the same depth as the vanity, and the rest will be all glass. Something like the photos I've attached,  but definitely no kneewall in the front facing perspective. What do you think?

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

What is the purpose of the "vanity desk?" Does someone like to sit down to shave or apply makeup/do hair? Seems like wasted space when you have a large two-sink vanity already. You could put a linen closet in, instead, which will give you more storage if you don't need or want a huge shower.

In the plan(s) further above, with the shower taking up that entire wall, you have *plenty* of room to get out of the shower, towel off and get undressed and dressed. Floor space, a space to hang a towel and lay or hang clothing is all you need - you don't need designated shower-prep-only space.

• MGdecor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Carrie B, I currently put my make up on while sitting on the edge of the bathtub.  To me, the vanity desk would be useful.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

We have made the shower 48x60 and created a nook for a vanity desk beside it. This seems like a functional use of space where the shower is still large and I have an area to get ready in.

This would make sense for me as well. A vanity area next to a window is perfect for makeup application and the shower is plenty big at 4 ft x 5 ft. (The appeal of extra large showers with one shower head is lost on me.)