Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobo_93

How to make my home fit into the landscape? (close by the lake)

lobo_93
2 years ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hi all, we moved to this house in July. I would like its exterior to reflect that it is close to the lake. What would you do regarding the front windows, doors, and paths for a cohesive style?* *PS: What architectural style is my house anyway?

#1 Windows have wood accents (shutters, headers, window boxes). How can I add interest other than these?

#2 Front door is not centered under the foyer window, and the stoop steps down to a flagstone patio (R) and lawn (L). How can I achieve a front porch feel?

#3 The path comes from a side-entry garage. How can I make the front and side cohesive and inviting?

Thank you ... and Happy New Year!!

Comments (59)

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@lyfia Hi Lyfia! I moved here in July, and so far I have not touched the exterior. I am still figuring it out. I think the priority is the entryway, and then dream/ plan of a 3-sided "patio, porch, terrace" ?!

--Entryway: I would like a more balanced look. Right now there is a skewed black door, a sidelight that does not reach the floor, and a high & large white foyer window. Also, the cemented area goes between the 2 columns, ending on the right column. Please help me find its bright, airy soul by the lake.

--3-Sided patio: The little black fence to the left was probably added to prevent falling over down onto the left slope. They also added an extended patio fence onto the back slope (it is stained orange, matching their added rustic shutters and headers). Here are the pics for a better view of the 3-sides. What do you think?

• Little Bug
    2 years ago

OMG on the black fenced area. (It couldn’t be seen from your original pictures!) No offense intended, but I would have torn that fence out before I even made my bed for the first time in my new house.

On the actual terracing, though, the stonework looks good and a talented landscape designer could make that look awesome.

PS on the door sidelight that doesn’t reach the floor- you could simply add a made-to-fit wood trim piece, painted black, below the sidelight. Done.

lobo_93 thanked Little Bug
  • lyfia
    2 years ago

@lobo_93 would you use that little patio area between the garage and the house? Are you in Central TX? Looks very much like it.

1. I think removing the shutters is a good idea on those large windows. You could keep them on the window between the garage and the entry, but I would re-stain them to be less "cedar" looking (my guess on the current stain color) and go darker brown, and use the same for the fencing around the AC units, deck, and the window headers that has the wood. You could test the stain color on the shutters you remove as it will look different than samples when put on top of the existing stain. If you wanted to keep shutters on the garage window then take the ones you have and use boards from the ones you remove on the three window and make them wider so they look like they would fit if you closed them. Otherwise I think adding interest should be done with landscaping and unifying all the different color areas, which are now sticking out and highlighting the different siding where it doesn't need highlighting. The left side of the entry façade doesn't appear to need anything as that would just make it look busy. Just some foundation plantings.

2. What are the light parts you see at the bottom of the door and side light? Is that a step or a toe kick or what? Painting it out could help. I think a bluish/green door would look more Lake like than the formal black that is there, but if you keep what you have the whole area from bottom of porch up including below the side light should be painted the same ie make the sidelight look part of the door unit. The door to the side doesn't bother me who generally like symmetry, but the whole space being various colors does as it emphasizes that some elements are not symmetric. The side light and the door are centered on the window so if they are treated as one unit then there is symmetry. The only solution I can see is replacing both with double doors as I'm sure the door is to the side like that on purpose for the interior to work.

3. Like I said before make that whole area bordering the walkway a planting area. To the left of the house I'd start with removing the fence, unless you have a toddler or younger. The retaining wall sticks up and is very visible so it is a natural barrier to older kids (although they may balance walk and jump from it) and adults. Then I'd have a flower bed from the walkway to the edge of the house in front of the windows, but not too deep and just leave the rest of the area as grass. I'm with @Little Bug as I would have ripped that out asap as it would not serve me or my family in any sort of way and looks off to me.

Here's some pics of walkways that have the whole area between garage/house filled in with plantings vs. plantings and a strip of grass. If you don't want to maintain the plantings then just make it all grass, however planting something tall on each side of the window by the garage would look nice instead of the shutters.

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F37%2F2016%2F06%2F16014618%2F101123644.jpg

https://images.landscapingnetwork.com/pictures/images/900x705Max/walkway-and-path_4/curved-walkway-red-brick-walkway-herringbone-walkway-garden-studio-design_4971.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/41/7a/cd/417acd75385df6cec0b1c8c56da66314.jpg

https://anestwithayard.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/e671efa01da8139795d01055134c7bf3.webp

https://anestwithayard.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/c35eebfabe6e650fe18401a4cace550c.webp

lobo_93 thanked lyfia
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Little Bug & @lyfia --Door sidelight: a made-to-fit wood trim piece sounds like a good temporary solution, TY!. --Black fenced area: it did not bother me as much as the front door 😂 . Would you also remove the black window box in front of the study (under the 3-section window)? There are 5 more of those wooden boxes along the garage path.

@lyfia Yes, it is Texas hill country! --Paint: The house front faces East and the front door is black with black hardware which means burning hot by noon, 9 out of 12 months. Thus, I must paint that door soon (I am considering your suggestion of a bluish-green). I found a can of the wood stain that was used for the shutters and deck is "Ready Seal/ Natural Cedar #112".

--Seating area: The little patio area with flagstone (between the garage and the entry) is supposed to be a seating area. It is located just in front of the powder room (under the low narrow window). It remains mostly unused, except for being the landing place for deliveries. I'd rather have a garden seating area in front of the study where I can see it; thank you for the links :) Here is the seating area of my dreams 😉.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pics below #1 Front shutters: one set taken down ;)

#2 Front door: it has 1-step to the cemented area and then 1-step to the front path:

#3 Front path: should the front path extend to connect to the patio? :

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What do you think of the mock-up door style and color? I kept the sidelight to the left but added a transom over the current "welcome sign" (adding weight to the front door under the foyer window).

For the colors, I am looking at this one: https://www.houzz.com/photos/exterior-traditional-exterior-cincinnati-phvw-vp~444278

Exterior · More Info

• Little Bug
    2 years ago

Not bad, but a bit watered down for my taste. I like the inspiration photo color.

One other thing I just noticed is the welcome mat - it should be as wide as the door + sidelight.

lobo_93 thanked Little Bug
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@lyfia @Little Bug, @Sigrid, @kitasei2, @cecily 7A, @littlebug zone 5 Missouri: Removing the orange shutters, I can focus on a new siding color (and overall exterior color palette). What do you think about any of these BEHR combos? Maybe: #1 Siding: green, #2 Front door: blue/green (to contrast), #3 Garage door: like the siding color (to minimize), AND -Brick: cream similar to limestone rock.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

I like the color of the inspiration picture, but I don't think the door style goes. The house leans more traditional and that door is more mid-century modern. If you want it to lean more modern then a door that is transitional would be a better fit. As to the Behr colors shown, I don't think Pure White will work and Polar Bear might, but a computer monitor can only do so much. I do think matching the stone is a good idea. We have the more white texas limestone on our house and Sherwin Williams Muslin 6133 matches the stone really well. We have it on our trim.

I would not paint the siding a different color that makes it stand out. To me that would make it look different blocks of colors, and not tie all the pieces of the house together very well. However what I think doesn't matter, if you like it then you do you. What you might want to do is print out some pictures of the house and use crayons to color in the areas with the different colors (similar to the paint colors) to see how you like the look of it. The color doesn't have to be perfect, but I think this way you can decide if you like the contrast and where the color is placed.

lobo_93 thanked lyfia
  • bluemarble
    2 years ago

With that many textures/elements, I tend to lean toward minimizing colors. I would look for a color that coordinates with the stone and the roof (not pure white), and paint everything else in that color especially since the brick is already painted (I'm wondering if that's actually a product that is supposed to mimic painted brick). That will allow the lovely stone to be a feature and still leave room for an accented front door without having too many things going on. I see the benefit of painting the porch siding to match the stone in the case of not wanting the stone to stand out all alone, but because there is also siding above the patio, it doesn't work as well to my eye.

Agree the MCM door style isn't the best choice. Maybe something like this?

If you want something less rustic, this might be nice painted...

lobo_93 thanked bluemarble
  • bluemarble
    2 years ago

Love the seating area of your dreams. Wow!

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bluemarble @lyfia yes, you are right there are too many elements: --3 different materials and colors (limestone rock, brick, and siding), --2 different masses (2-story main house and 1-story attached garage + MBR&BA), and --2 different fences (attached deck, and front patio). I got lost with the idea of redoing the exterior color palette*.

*Here is a mockup of the "lake-like" feel colors on the front and garage R-side: the siding in a green-blue (Behr opal silk), with brick in a creamy color (SW muslin), with the blue door (Behr laguna blue). I think I would be overwhelmed by the green on the other 3-sides of the house. So I am considering using green as an accent color, but just for smaller areas instead.

• bluemarble
    2 years ago

Oh, I hate not loving that lobo. Sorry. This scenario tries to highlight the siding instead of the stone. I don't get a "two large masses" vibe when I look at your house, but understand that is something you're trying to address. I have no idea the cost, but what about adding matching stone to the other part of the house you feel is disconnected...like on the the front of the garage around the window. Then add color with the front door and garden seating area in front of the study. You could add large planters in the flower bed along the garage to incorporate your accent colors.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

If you paint the stone and siding the same color that is close to the stone then the house will look cohesive. Then use color for accents such as the front door, planters etc.

Also consider surrounding homes. Most Texas lake houses tends to be more blend with nature than bright beach colors, so since you're in a neighborhood also take cues from there as to would work not only for your house, but the neighborhood.

lobo_93 thanked lyfia
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all!! For now, I would like to improve the exterior's appeal, by changing the front door and the garage door (not MCM;).

@bluemarble you said >"Oh, I hate not loving that": don't you worry; the mock-up convinced me out of that green-siding route 😶. I would definitely address the exterior color palette, but it might be at a later time. Thank you for the accent planters and door examples!

@lyfia you said >"siding the same color that is close to the stone": yes, definitely going that route, but not now. I am afraid I deviated from my original quest to address the more manageable style pieces.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I would consider going with dark brown for front door system. Your house and grounds have so much potential. I would create a seating/garden area in the area to the left. Remove that fencing and use natural plant materials to create your boundaries. Put a couple chairs and table there for inviting look. On right add a water feature to the existing area and add some greenery as background. With your roof color and your stone, consider a marine blue for exterior walls. Then dark brown stained front door and garage door.

lobo_93 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Main thing is to create a master plan then implement as funds allow so in the end everything is cohesive.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Here is rough mock up. Using landscaping to help with facade.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan & @bluemarble: TYSM for the ideas, the landscaping, and the decor visuals 😊!! I like your suggested dark brown doors with glass (panels, sidelights, and/or transom) below. I think the wooden doors could work nicely with the current exterior colors, and it would be an immediate improvement. I am checking the HOUZZ shop, Rustica, StevesDoors, and WindowWorld. Any other specific vendor(s) you like?

• Stacey
    2 years ago

I would contemplate a dark taupe paint color after centering front door. I would plant a small Japanese maple where the seating area is .
    The flagstone is not adding anything. More low care plants. Wood front door and garage door and removing shutters. Removing the fence.

lobo_93 thanked Stacey
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I found this door in stock, it mimics the foyer window a bit. The one below is the inspiration pic with similar siding and stone colors to mine (I also love the dragonfly door knocker ;) What do you all think?

https://www.houzz.com/products/douglas-fir-craftsman-front-door-right-hand-left-sidelite-proviincial-prvw-vr~160950051

Douglas Fir Craftsman Front Door, Right Hand Left Sidelite Proviincial · More Info

Craftsman Home · More Info

• bluemarble
    2 years ago

I like that, and the dragonfly :) The rich brown will give a classic statement to your lovely home

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

While I like the doors you posted, I don’t think they work with your home styling. See mock up. Too craftsman for your house IMO.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I would consider a more transitional look. Like this. Depends on your interior styling too.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan & @bluemarble: Thank you for the comments! I tried matching the suggested doors and I found Krosswood. Now the door I posted is not available, but this one instead: Craftsman Alder 6-lite, 42" x 96". Those door measurements would mean reframing for a wider and taller door, without the sidelight opening. That would not only allow for a centered front but also help balance the 2-story portico, which is good. However, I am listening to the craftsman style "not fitting in"; and yes, I think it doesn't, which is bad.

So, please help me find the vendor with a front door, in stock, 42"x96", no sidelight, that fits the exterior style, but also fits a bright and light "lake-feel" 😂 Thank you for helping me refine this idea; after all, the front door is the first and the last thing you see, every time, in and out, lost and found... just digressing... thank you again.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Contact these folks and see if you can order your size, wood species and stain.

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

Flo, that's a gorgeous door. I think rectangular windows are optimal, there are arches in place that the front door shouldn't compete with. Beautiful home!

lobo_93 thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

The OP wants to move away from arches. So the arched windows will probably also be changed out.

• jayapple21
    2 years ago

Re: the entrance door. Is there room available for a double door? Doors come in different widths so instead of having a door and a side-light, could you have two doors? Would they be centered or off-center? Off-center would bother me, I think, in which case a single and a side-light might be better. Would there be sufficient space available for a longer (more statement-making) entrance light -- or two lights if you went with double doors?

I see where Flo added a large pendant light. That looks really nice as well. It's exciting to see what a major change in the entire facade new door(s) and lighting will give you.

lobo_93 thanked jayapple21
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi you all houzzer friends; here is the recap:

#1 Window shutters: BTW @Flo Mangan I have not really considered changing the windows; just removing the shutters as suggested. Then what to do for the larger windows? (window boxes, headers?)

#2 Front door: TY for the suggestions @cupofkindnessgw @jayapple21 @Stacey @Flo Mangan The custom Rustica would be about $3K. Now, I think that the double door might help out grounding, and adding weight under that 2nd-story arched window. @bluemarble I am getting that dragonfly knocker, while I am still looking for the door ;))

At this point, the front door, garage door, and deck are my priority b/c of their visual impact and usage. New questions for you then to help me focus on the changes: Would you do the same style and color for front and garage doors? And would you do the same stain color for the deck?

Note: The first thing you notice coming up the street is the backyard stained deck. Then once you have turned into our block you do not see the front door, but the side driveway and the black garage doors first. So noticeable to the point that some deliveries are left by the garage door, which brings #3 (next time, cheers!).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Yes, do all doors and deck in same deeper dark stain. I would add a wide stone walkway in lighter stone from driveway to front entrance. That would aid guests, family and delivery people to front door. Visual cues are very valuable.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Double front doors or one large pivot door would be my choice. I would focus on front landscaping before any window changes etc. The house is not a cottage. So you can take baby steps to modify your home’s exterior but be very careful of going too far. It will never look congruent.

• bluemarble
    2 years ago

I like the window boxes, and large planters for in front of the garage.

Are you getting a new garage door, or were you planning to just paint it? My thinking on the doors is that normally I wouldn't want the garage door to stand out, so I'd lean toward painting it the color of the house...unless, the front door and garage door are matching in stained wood.

3K for a front door?! Wow. I like the idea of double doors to help balance the upper window, but I don't know what the budget is. What color is your roof? Is that changing in the next few years? Didn't know if that has bearing on color choices.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello friends, a new weekend is approaching and I am feeling the pressure to do something for the exterior. I haven't figure out the front and garage doors yet, and I have more questions now than when I started! For instance, thinking about the doors, just emphasized the need to add the walkway(s), and that in turn led to rework the driveway "odd-ending" and the front entry functionality and look! Now being that these 2 are my favorite entries "Pic 1- Las Alturas" and "Pic 2- Clark", this is what I am thinking:

Pic 1- I like the natural stone front entrance: I could do an extended front patio, the width of the 2-story mass (from black picket fence on the left to the patio flagstone on the right).

Pic 2- I like the seating area and the pergola over the large windows. I can do that, once the patio is done ;) That layout would take the view towards the left, and ground the large 2-story mass better.

Path from the curb to front walkway- I haven't found the "winner pic" yet.

Your thoughts? And then there is gardening, 😂 Cheers ! ...

Estate at Las Alturas · More Info

Clark Street Before/After · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Love the front door system in Pic #2.

• bluemarble
    2 years ago

Love the pergola idea, and it seems in keeping with your interior style. I didn't realize how extensively you were planning to reconstruct the front area, so the sky is the limit? ; )

Your house is grand, so a large welcoming entrance fits the scale. I like both photos and the idea of expanding the stone patio all the way across to the driveway, so that guests getting out of their car have a place to land with a natural progression toward the front door. Of course, that's if you have a large gathering and cars are lining down the driveway.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Found a few for inspiration.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Natural pavers for walkway. Something like these

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

TY @bluemarble, I was not really planning "to reconstruct the front area", but I tend to keep looking for all the elements to fall in place before changing anything. Q/"so the sky is the limit?" A/ in terms of creativity? yes; in terms of budget? no!

TY @Flo Mangan, I like the idea of a large and warm entrance with wide paths, and plants, with an eco-friendly approach. BTW, we have a deer population and a septic system in place.

Of course, it will be some time from ideabook to implementation, but posting this "dilemma" in Houzz helps me focus a bit... so thank you all !!

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

--Door vendors: I also checked @GloWindows Thank you Glo ! :)

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi all, here is an update: --Landscaping: I have been RFQ, but I think ideas will follow the functional porch and patio. --Front redo: I got this rendering with inspiration pic #1 and pic #2 in mind (by Creative Visual). I am hoping for an inviting entry for a "close by the lake" house; what do you all think?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I think with some tweaks this can work. I would put a fountain on right side so it speaks more to front yard but still harkens to lake. Add planter/benches on left side for privacy and safety. Add landscaping and possibly some cover or drapery to arbor. Right now it’s too much like a backyard.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I still like this style door or a single wide door.

• bluemarble
    2 years ago

Here are a couple of mock-ups with stone pillars under the pergola and a row of evergreens on the left of the patio. I borrowed the stone pillars idea from your pic #1 just to see how it ties in with the front facade. Might look better in real life and in certain angles? I scattered various planters here and there for inspiration, planted some Russian Sage and flanked the walkway near the porch with crane sculptures. I like the idea of a water feature on the right side of the walkway. Probably too much all at once, but you can pick and choose if you like anything.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I like the cranes at entry. Nice water element.

• bluemarble
    2 years ago

Removed the stone pillars, enlarged the path giving it a curve...and green grass, of course. ; )

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi all @bluemarble @FloMangan @cecily 7A @cupofkindnessgw @jayapple21 @kitasei2 @lyfia @Sigrid @Stacey @littlebug zone 5 Missouri

My original intention was to enhance the sense of place by the lake, but I got lost in the many choices and costly remodel possibilities, so I placed everything on hold. Now that the weather is better, I thought, it was a good time to re-focus on the landscaping. And so, I revived this thread to thank you all for all the great ideas, and to keep myself accountable for doing something before Spring Break. 😂

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    10 months ago

Great! Looking forward to “restart”!

• simplynatural
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I see something like this in front: Mediterranean feel, wider stone (or concrete?) walkway continuous with a terrace (stone?) on the left, where the fenced area is now, additional stone columns with substantial stained beams overhead, with seating and end tables in an L shape, acting as a guardrail for the left and front. (Hopefully the level of the terrace could be slightly below the retaining wall, so the wall would make a "lip" to keep the furniture pieces from being pushed off the terrace edge. Code might require a rail, though, especially on the left.) Vines (grapes?) for terrace shade, a smaller-scale tree (Texas redbud?) in the corner to screen the powder room window. Low-maintenance shrubs and ground covers around terrace and under tree (unless you love gardening and want something more demanding). And yes, the door absolutely needs to be centered, edges preferably aligned with the window above, even if that means sacrificing the sidelight. And the brick needs to be painted a warmer color that speaks to the stone. The siding is warmer; maybe something similar, so the siding can be left as is? See what you think.

lobo_93 thanked simplynatural