Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franklinjm

Modern Farmhouse Remodel

Franklin M
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Houzz community, I'm looking to update my home exterior to give it a modern farmhouse look. I'd love ideas for how to do this. Here are some ideas i'm considering.

- Paint the house white with black trim

- Replace the rocks with white brick OR overgrout the rock wall and whitewash

- Add shutters

Comments (19)

• JustDoIt
    2 years ago

I'm no help but I really like the house as it is. Maybe paint the gray siding a neutral color to match the stone. It's not really a farmhouse.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I don't think you can do this -- not without a major, major overhaul. The roof line, the stone walls, and the windows are totally not farmhouse. I think you'll be better off embracing the style you already have.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Too late for that look which is no longer on trend, and your home is totally unsuitable for it. Consider an Asian look. Your current architecture can be tweaked into that style, IMO.

Hawaii Pavillion House · More Info

Notice the Asian touches in this farmhouse. The two ideas can be blended inside, but not so much outside (except for landscaping.)

Connecticut Farmhouse · More Info

Here's a very farmhouse feeling, yet Asian kitchen.

San Rafael Residence · More Info

• heathermalia
    2 years ago

Are you in Hawaii or Florida?  Looks tropical?  Modern farmhouse doesn't work. I think your house is way more interesting than that anyway.  Build in what the architect already started!

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Please follow the design logic:

I have this car, good, dependable car. It just looks old and outdated to me.

I just love this truck though. I see them all over tv shows, and many people in town drive them. So I want to update my old car to look like this truck. I'm going to add the big mirrors, airhorns, smokestacks, amber lights, and a big colorful stripe down the side.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    2 years ago

You have a beautiful home. Just paint the siding a color that goes better with the stone. Enjoy what you have!

• Sigrid
    2 years ago

Your house looks great! Making it trendier will cost a lot of money for no return. You won't get modern farmhouse, just a mishmash. Besides the latest trend will be dated within 10 years. What doesn't get dated is good, consistent design, which is what you have now.

Spend your money on functional improvements.

I thoroughly agree with @3onthetree

• Susan Murin
    2 years ago

Largely agree with the others. This house will never be farmhouse and should not have shutters. If you have the budget I’d get rid of the rock (presume it’s veneer). Paint the exterior, larger more modern house numbers relocated to the pillar, update the landscaping. You will get some great ideas and mock-ups if you reframe the issue on a new thread as to how to optimize and update the home rather than how to try and turn it into something it wasn’t meant to be.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Farmhouse? where is the farm?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

This looks like Southern California.

• Franklin M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the finished look for another home in the same neighborhood. What do you guys think? We are replacing the rock wall with brick and adding new horizontal siding as seen below.

• Sigrid
    2 years ago

The house you just posted looks funny. There's stone on one side of the garage, but not on the other. On the second floor window, they appear to have a sutter on the left, but not the right. Your house is much nicer.

The stone on both houses looks good. Keep it.

Fresh paint and bright sun always improves pictures. Paint your house white with black trim, if it needs painting, replace siding if you *need* to, but changing vertical siding to horozontal or stone to brick will cost a lot and not make a difference. Except, of course, that new siding means a fresh paint job.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

That house looks like every other 50-70 tract home that someone tried to make a black and white farmhouse.............make 0 sense.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

nod to the house you are living in, the area you live in, not to rural American farms that were white and black because that was cheap.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Your house looks nicer and much better than the house picture you just posted, thats in your area. Neither are or ever will be modern farm houses. It never works, to try and make a house what it isnt, unless, you are tearing all or most of the house down, and redoing. Your house is also classic, and modern farmhouses are a trend, and wont last.

• Franklin M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi guys, we decided to not remove the rock and siding. We opted for just painting the home and trimming! Thanks all for your ideas!!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

I would replace the siding, as you had imagined, the house could use it as well I imagine. and the garage door.