Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karin_magnuson79

Powder room floor: Tile vs Engineered Hardwood?

Karin Magnuson
2 years ago

Hi, I'm building a new 4 story townhouse and am putting in engineered hardwood floors throughout the house (Shaw Bluebell Oak “Roosevelt” in Herringbone 5” plank) except for the 4 full bathrooms where I have tile.

I'm debating what to do about the powder room flooring

• The developer says most people are going with engineered hardwood
  • But I'm worried about moisture (e.g., wet hands from the sink, rick of toilet overflow + men's "aim" issues) so am thinking about switching to tile.
  • However, I don't know if it will look odd having tile in this one spot when the rest of the floor on this level is engineered hardwood.
  • And will tile in the powder room look "dated"?
  • [And secondarily, if I go with tile should I choose something looks like the gray plank of the hardwood that will be in the hallway or go with something that's deliberately quite different?]

Any advice/experience/pro tips would be appreciated!

If helpful, here's a screenshot of the blueprint showing the location of the powder room - at the top of the stairs from the ground floor garage level to the main living level, with a coat closet to the right.

Comments (9)

• Cynthia
    2 years ago

Since it's a powder room only, no shower or tub you are totally fine to go with the eng wood. The drops from washing hands shouldn't be much of an issue, the bigger issue would be a toilet backup (if the floor will be throughout the house in kitchen, laundry etc. that would be a concern with dishwasher, fridge connection, pipe burst....you get the idea, life happens and it would be an insurance claim. In such a small space I wouldn't be too concerned.

I sell flooring....I'm begging you to please make sure you have at least one full box left when the project is complete, preferably two boxes. If there are any issues down the road you want to have material to make any repairs in case the product is discontinued.

Enjoy your new home!

• Fran Gil
    2 years ago

I have hardwood in my PR which is a continuation of all the hardwood in my house. Never had an issue and I have lots of company.

• loobab
    2 years ago

I would not put wood in a bathroom.

I don't know who your guests will be.

Children and the elderly typically have issues.

The best entertaining occurs when everyone, the hosts and guests are relaxed.

If you are going to be concerned about your powder room floors and feel that you have to go into the bathrooms to check on the floors you are not going to be relaxed.

If when you entertain you always have household help that can do that for you, you don't have the anxiety of having to do bathroom patrol, then you only need to purchase a lot of extra flooring in case you need to replace some.

• Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

Personally I would use tile. Toilets get backed up, and in my family we have little kids and they can clog the toilet, even the sink, splash and cannot seem to find the toilet when peeing, so needless to say that an engineered wood floor would be damaged in no time. If the PR is used primarily by adults, I suppose you could argue that other options than tile could be suitable. To answer your question, I don’t think it looks odd that PR has a different floor than the rest of the floor. Best of luck

• anj_p
    2 years ago

It's a powder room. There's not enough moisture for it to be an issue. 
    That being said, it looks like it's on a landing. If that's the case I would use the same material that the landing has.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Eta we had wood in our powder room in our last house and it's also the bathroom we used to toilet train. I don't know who has so many issues with kids using bathrooms but it was never a problem.

• Helen
    2 years ago

It is probably fine to put engineered wood in a powder room. I have engineered wood in my kitchen and the occasional drips and drops clean up well.

That said, having tile in a bathroom that is contiguous to wood is a perfectly valid design choice. I have wood everywhere except the master bath and the guest bath. My bathroom floors are basket weave marble and I think they actually look better than wood would have especially with other design choices in my bathrooms.

Some people do have wood in their bathrooms. I wouldn't be comfortable because I don't know the toilet habits of people who are using them and would like to be able to clean thoroughly if need be. I realize that marble is considered to be higher maintenance but it can still be steam cleaned occasionally and cleaned/sanitized in a way that even engineered wood floors can't be.

• Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

Anj_p: Glad to hear your kids are doing well with toilet duties. Mine are creative and mischievous and unfortunately I’ve learned that it’s enough to clog and overflow the toilet once (apparently stuffing 5 rolls worth of toilet paper and flushing until the bowl overruns is considered a fun activity among my kids) to ruin the floors. I know because although the bathroom was tiled, the water reached the bedroom and we had to rip up the engineered wood floor and replace it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

How are you decorating the PR IMO the decor drives the flooring choice I think either works but wih no clue as to the decor I am lost. If the toilet floods it will not matter which floor you have they will need to be replaced and no to trying to match the wood with tile .