Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
une_chetnaverma

Shade front entryway

une_chetnaverma
2 years ago

Hi Readers,

Thanks for taking the time to read and any advice.

This is my current home, & in definite need of some curb appeal.

Oak Trees in the front yard give complete shade to the entryway.

Would like more front curb appeal. Please suggest.

Hardiness Zone 9b

Thank you

C

Comments (10)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

very nice home. Have you thought about putting in artificial turf? That would solve the lawn problem fair and square. I would remove the brick flower bed border to go more free form with native grasses and succulents. Consider consulting a landscape designer. OHHH and please remove those little shutters and paint the front door a pop of color.

• acm
    2 years ago

I'd remove the shutters from the right side of the house (way too small for those windows), paint the front door a bright color to draw the eye, and then get a consultation on shade plants that could fill long beds from your house out along the walkway. Should be great!!

• kitasei2
    2 years ago

i would ignore every piece of advice given by RL Relocation above (artificial turf?? succulents in shade??). You can easily plant many ground covers in the shade of an oak tree if grass is too problematic. You do need foundation shrubs, ideally evergreen, with heights staggered to frame not concesl the entrance and windows. Taller shrubs or small trees at the corners will frsme the house and screen the neighbor’s car. I leave recommendations for specific plants to those familar with your zone and local landscaping style. Just wanted to jump in to intervene on the artificial turf idea!’

• cecily 7A
    2 years ago

I was thinking of artificial turf as well because the cedars in the background remind me of California and the owner doesn't seem to be a gardener.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

I would be upset by kitty above, but I have come to know that people can just be rude and not even know it.

I live in this same zone, I grow a mass amount fo succulents in the shade, and artificial turf is amazing now solves a lot of patchy grass issues, and looks great. but hey intervention is an amazing thing lol.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Great advice from RL and acm. Nice house! Based on experience, consulting a landscaper can be well worth it. We're in SoCal and have lots of oak trees.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

This is just my opinion, but I don't love the stark contrast between the color of the siding and the color of the brick. Would you consider painting the white siding a darker color along the shade of the brick and painting the door a brighter (maybe white) color? Right now I think the eye is drawn to the fact that the brick is only a facade instead of drawing the eye to the door.

• une_chetnaverma
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi All; thank you for opinions, suggestions, recommendations. We r in south bay area . The front of the house is 200ft wide so its not easy to cover all of it. (Total 0.5acre lot)

We will get a planner and get an estimate and proceed. Thanks for shutters idea. Will remove them :D

• hbeing
    2 years ago

install big box planters under each window on right side of house. i think there is shade-tolerant grass species; otherwise ditch the lawn and go with shade tolerant native plants.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    2 years ago

Here are some ideas:

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting