Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljbwilk

Pretend that you need a dishwasher to save your marriage.

ljbwilk
2 years ago

Imagine for a moment that your spouse enjoys cooking more than anyone you know and spends long hours in the kitchen saturating sieves with chicken remnants, burning black oil into Le Crueset, and trying his hardest to defeat the one-pot recipe movement.

Now say you both work full time and have four small children. That you are keeping an ongoing list of every ridiculous thing your spouse has ever put in the dishwasher that includes, at the top, a whole tomato. That there’s a foot of snow outside and the heater, dryer, smoke alarm are all broken and now the dishwasher dear God have mercy on us.

Which new dishwasher would you buy, to save your marriage? Someone said something about Asco? Our Miele has been repaired 4 times in 5 years…

Comments (53)

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Oh, my! While I envy that your spouse does the cooking....I'm not envious of the result! hahaha

We also have a kitchenaid (KKDTM404KPS). I love the 3 racks. I think it does well at cleaning but we have had a few things come out not perfectly clean. It's much better than our last whirlpool though. Most things even those pesky plastics come out dry.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

KitchenAid (since 1986) and Maytag (since 2006) are both Whirlpool brands. Racking, features, and wash system may vary between models.

• nycbluedevil_gw
    2 years ago

I have only had Miele. Three of them over last twenty years. I have never had to repair any of them. I love how they stack, how quiet they are and the features (auto open, interior light, 3rd tray). My sister and mom have Bosch and I can’t stand loading them.

• turtlexings24
    2 years ago

We've used Consumer Reports for every appliance and car purchases. In nearly a decade of purchases, this approach hasn't let us down yet!

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/dishwashers/buying-guide/index.htm

For what it's worth, a friend who does appliance repair says he'd never buy Miele because their owners always complain about the constant issues. He sees frequent issues with their products when they're brand new, vs other brands. That's only an anecdote and I'm sure there are Miele fans, but he says they're a disproportionate amount of issues he gets calls for.

• L A
    2 years ago

#1 Best and most reliable diswasher-BOSCH.

• malabacat
    2 years ago

We had a Kenmore Elite dishwasher for many many years. A decade or more for sure. It wasn't very quiet but it worked well. When it finally stopped working, we got a Miele. Have had it for 5+ years and it's been fantastic.

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

We just replaced our AsKo with another Asko. It was 13 years old and probably could have been fixed, but the cutlery basket was broken and we just decided it was time for a new one. I've read that Asko and Bosch are similar in function and reliability. We knew an Asko would fit our space and that we could rely on it to last, so decided to go with the same. I do have to say that the new one has a third rack and I really find it useful for things that used to get lost in the DW and really makes a diff in how much we can fit.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Bosch SHEM3AY55N100 Series 24 Inch Stainless Steel Built-In Full Console Dishwasher Recommended by CR and reliable brand in CR owners' survey. Ten in stock at Appliances Connection. Available at Home Depot. Inexpensive at $650.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

I have a Miele and its the one of the best appliances in the kitchen . never any problems. But to the question......right now if I had to get a unit installed and the breaking of previous models/repairs along w intense cleaning needs were an issue and COVID I would start frequent runs to Home depot Lowes and whatever local appliance store and get an out of box floor model I'd get one w lg capacity tub and flexible loading / pot and pan cycle for sure. I'd get one with 600-800 price range but at a reduction . I probably would not get a European elite model if I were in your shoes.

• Chessie
    2 years ago

I got a new Kitchenaid 5 years ago. Nary a problem since.

• makmartell
    2 years ago

Bosch, no question.

• Emily
    2 years ago

My vote is a Bosch all the way. I’ve had for one for eight years now and not a single issue. Very quiet too. My parents and my in-laws both got a Bosch because of our testimony and they’d not had any issues either.

• Fori
    2 years ago

I got a new Kitchenaid a couple years ago. Not the cheap one, either. It didn't last but it was gorgeous for a DW.

Super happy with my FP dish drawers but do not recommend it for someone who lacks loading sense.

Get a cheap workhorse and not something with a bunch of glitz. And pay more attention when you load. :D

• just_janni
    2 years ago

We have an Asko 6 series? got at a liquidator on ebay - 2nd appliance through them. This one replaced a 20+ year old model whose pump finally crapped out but everything else was fine still (we had even replaced the rubberised buttons for the keypad during its tenure.

My understanding is that supply chain issues abound in dishwasher land - so you may just want to prioritize the available over the perfect. ;-)

• bmorepanic
    2 years ago

I have the Bosch Ascenta. I like it for the front controls and the goofy Eurp loading. BUT it takes 2:15 for a normal wash; tall things are a problem; cleaning the filter may not be for the faint of heart. I am tempted daily to buy commercial Cascade powder with phosphates and just run it on quickwash all the time.

Your husband and I could trade recipes. If I'm in a cookin' mode, I can fill up the dishwasher 2-3 times. We've had it for 3 months and I've needed stuff washed that was 3 hours away as the dishwasher is in the middle of its cycle and there is another load on the counter already. I hand wash lots pots and big things, but the best peeler is sitting there waiting along with the mixer attachments, mixer bowl and my best whisk and my backup whisk. I'm adjusting but a tiny bit resentful of the long cycles. Thank goodness the urge to spree cook only occurs about once a month.

If I were you, I would buy a lowish end from whirlpool or GE with a food disposal inside KNOWING I'd need to replace the dw every 5 years or so. It's not worth spending money on an expensive dw until the tomatoes stop. Plus, those 4 little cuties are going to learn to cook from him because all home chefs need sous chefs occasionally.

• dan1888
    2 years ago

Miele. Zero problems. Stick with a lower range model with the third rack. But I wouldn't expect it to clean tomatoes. Rinse those by hand.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

"I can fill up the dishwasher 2-3 times. We've had it for 3 months and I've needed stuff washed that was 3 hours away as the dishwasher is in the middle of its cycle and there is another load on the counter already."

The bazillion-seller and inexpensive Whirlpool WDF520PADM has a one-hour cycle which HD owners like.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

I MUST know: Why did he put a whole tomato in the dishwasher?!?!

• bmorepanic
    2 years ago

Me too, but I didn't want to ask. Thank you @mxk3 z5b_MI

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

This is seriously one of my favorite posts on Houzz!

• musicgalnd
    2 years ago

Another vote for Asko, have had ours for about 5 years with no problems. We went with it as Bosch had long lead time in our rural area and we were looking for the "flood protection" that both units offer...especially since most domestic manufacturers use the same drain pump hose design that's prone to tsunami-sized wood floor destroying leaks.

Be aware that the Asko tines are narrow so may be a bit tougher to fit heavy dishware such as Fiestaware (although I've not tried it, so you may want to try it out first) Works great to pack in Corelle dishes though!

Also, even with a water softener, it seems to work best with powdered detergent...even the cheap kind!

Really like the 30 minute drying cycle with fan, plastics come out dry.

• Hillside House
    2 years ago

Seriously… we gotta know the story behind the tomato.

To answer your question: I installed two Mieles 5 years ago. I adore them, and I can’t picture a day when I would willingly replace them with another brand.

That said, the odds of both of them going at the same time are slim, so its moot for me. But if it did happen? And adding in supply issues due to a worldwide pandemic and a shaky marriage… well, I might be willing to settle for whatever was in stock if I was in your shoes.

• megs1030
    2 years ago

Well, I would have said Miele, but it looks like you’re not a fan of yours. I have had no trouble with mine. We have a Bosch in our vacation house and I don’t like it nearly as much as the Miele.

• socks
    2 years ago

We bought a KA 4 yrs ago because the last KA lasted 16-18 years. Got the bells and whistles model but I just use the normal setting. I wish the dishes were drier, but I dont want to use the energy of ”pro dry.” That might melt plastic stuff anyway. Just prop it open overnight. we are happy with it. Third level rack is ok but I really dont care anout it too much.

• Chessie
    2 years ago

Man I love my third level rack. I use it pretty much every load. Just goes to show you it's all in how we each have our own ways of doing things.

• shoozyq
    2 years ago

Thermador Sapphire. Have owned 2 years , best appliance purchase of the remodel. Literally no rinsing needed. It’s on the pricey side, but no regrets. Outperforms my prior Bosch. It also the third tier which is a great feature. Good luck with everything!

• User
    2 years ago

Bosch would be the way to go if you found one in stock. I did not, and I desperately needed a dishwasher to save my marriage back in the fall, and I wanted the third rack, stainless tub, and the only thing in stock was a Whirlpool. It may not be as quiet as a Bosch but we run it all the time during the day no issues with noise. The dishes always come out clean and the third rack is great for utensils which gives me more room on the bottom rack. I couldn’t be happier. And we’re coming up on 23 yrs.
    He still doesn’t load it correctly though 😂

• akrogirl32
    2 years ago

We are also very happy with our Thermador Sapphire, which we were luck enough to find as a floor model. We checked out all the options, and this one worked best for our dishes etc. The third rack is deep enough for some of my bowls and cooking utensils.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I love my Bosch and its three racks, but then I haven’t tried to put a tomato in it. It’s true failing is that if you put any container like a jar or gladware or pot in with its lid on, the little Bosch elves don’t remove the lids to clean them.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Bosch

I bought a cheap one because I thought I'd never use it, I was so wrong. Had no idea any dishwasher could clean dirty dishes so well.

• chispa
    2 years ago

I just built a house and installed my third Miele. Never had to have any of them serviced. I did notice that they performed much better when you use the salt, use Miele tabs and make sure you have a whole house water softener if your area has hard water.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

The dishwasher's onboard water softener (which is what involves the salt .. to regenerate the mechanism's resin bed) performs the function of a whole-house water softener on all the water that flows into the machine ... and is redundant when there is a whole-house softener.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Also one of my favorite threads, ever!

Depends on where you live, but I live in a fairly large town (the state capital) and there is no service available for Miele and some of the other brands mentioned here. So be sure to check that before you buy if you're not in a large metropolitan area.

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd KitchenAid and am very happy with it. It has the 3rd rack, but I had to take it out after I snapped the stems on 3 Riedel wine glasses (3 different times - I'm a slow learner). It has the pro/extended dry but it does NOT melt plastic..I think it's just a blower that runs a long time, not extra heat. I turn it on before I go to bed most nights and the dishes are nice and dry in the morning. It has a quick wash that works well, too.

EVERYTHING I use to cook with goes in the DW except an occasional use of a cast iron pan and my popover pan. Everything else goes in and I went to the same cooking school as OP's husband. Lots of dished/pots/pans involved when I cook. I run the DW every single day, 2 or 3 times when I'm cooking for guests. I use a DW detergent from the organic store and it works fine. The filter is easy to clean.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

We went with a middle of the road Frigidaire - it's fine, does what it's supposed to do but does not do anything special like massage my feet which had I known would be an issue I would have opted for the high end model.

How an intelligent man (with an engineering degree no less), can't figure out after 40 flippin' years how to load a dishwasher for optimum use is beyond me, but here we are.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Fisher Paykel double drawers. 10 years here, 8 years at our beach house; no repairs. Easy loading and unloading so you can put the ragamuffins to work. Does not have a tomato cycle.

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

My DH is an expert at loading (he has never once put a whole tomato on any level), but unloading ... Sheesh. Everyday is a scavenger hunt trying to figure out where he's decided to put things. Do other people not have a dedicated shelf for glasses? A certain drawer for cutlery?

• kim k
    2 years ago

We've had so many kinds over the years. Bosch has been our favorite and first choice.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

In my house, there isn't question about which dishes ended up where because they are on the shelves with cabinet doors wide open for full visibility. Baking dishes are likely on the countertop waiting to go down to the lower level storage cabinets. I am happy if the DW door is closed.

• User
    2 years ago

This thread gives me joy. My family thinks I am the psycho dishwasher nazi
    But they are the problem, not me !

• just_janni
    2 years ago

Hubs is dishwasher loader here. I destroy kitchen - he fits it all in the DW. Seems fair.

The Asko has a huge capacity, three rows and quite a bit of flexibility. Hubby can fit more crap in there than anyone I know. In fact - during family gatherings - the joke is to stand around the dishwasher and pronounce loudly "there's NO WAY all this is fitting in the dishwasher" and wait for him to appear. Anywhere. Anyone's house. It's like the anal retentive bat signal. It's apparently a throwback from his childhood task of packing the family car (VW Beetle - OLD) for vacations.

When he travels, I run the DW the night before, and unload it. Lovingly referred to as "destroying the evidence".

try lqdllc on ebay.... big fan. In stock, floor models, fast shipping, etc.

ljbwilk thanked just_janni
  • suero
    2 years ago

I just got an invitation in the mail...

If you purchased a Whirlpool-manufactured dishwasher built from 2010-2017, you may be entitled to benefits from a class action settlement. You must file a Claim Form by July 26, 2022 to receive a settlement benefit for diverter seal leaks that happened before January 27, 2022. For diverter seal leaks that took place after January 27, 2022, you must file a claim within 90 days of the leak.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I have an LG dishwasher that we love; no issues. It is so quiet, cleans and dries dishes beautifully. We have a LG washer and dryer, LG TV, and LG portable air conditioner. All our LG appliances are wonderful; no issues.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I am not very satisfied with my Frigidaire Gallery dw purchased in 2014. It needed repair twice while still under warranty, (repairman commented that they "had a problem" with the electronic control panel) and is now having some function issues related to that - runs and washes, but try to select a short cycle or upper rack only, and it defaults halfway through to a full cycle. Also sometimes it does a poor job of cleaning, even on dishes that aren't "stuck on/burned on".

• einportlandor
    2 years ago

I'd buy the dishwasher that is available for immediate delivery. As my mother used to say, "It's cheaper than a divorce."

• Sarah
    2 years ago

I got a Bosch installed in Jan as it was the only one in stock. It was $1600 for the whole thing and they took away my broken Bosch. Horribly expensive but I was not going to hand wash dishes for another week or more while I waited out the whole supply chain BS for the cheaper white DW I replaced.

• ljbwilk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

einportlandor, your mom was a funny woman!

• ljbwilk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@just_janni we live less than an hour from that ebay liquidator and I've been spying him/her/them for years but too afraid to buy an appliance without manufacturer liability. I don't mean warranty necessarily, I mean if it leaks and ruins all the hardwood in my kitchen or god forbid catches fire or something... Kohler actually replaced my mom's floors years ago after one of their faucets leaked. Having said that, we do have homeowners insurance for a reason. It's sooooo tempting given that we can just pick up!

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

Will only ever get Bosch. Got a Bosch in our former house. Had it for 7 years, not one repair needed. Worked wonderfully. Third drawer for silverware saved so much space. We really pack the thing up. We just moved into a new home and got another Bosch. Hands down an excellent dishwasher brand.

• theotherjaye
    2 years ago

I destroy the kitchen, the Spousal Unit cleans. We had two Bosch dishwashers in our last kitchen (not simultaeously, one died and we replaced with another). Love how quiet they are. In our current rental house, the Whirlpool DW makes such a racket you can barely watch TV while it’s on downstairs.