Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
building2017

Recent experience buying Soapstone?

building2017
2 years ago

Our local stone fabricator doesn‘t have any classic looking Soapstone in stock. I’ve scoured the archives and it looks like most posts about Soapstone sources are older. Does anyone have any recent experience sourcing Soapstone out of state for your project?

Comments (28)

• a_hem
    2 years ago

I just purchased soapstone slabs at Mont. Where are you located? Go to their website and you can look at their live slab inventory.

• building2017
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are in FL, where is Mont?

• darbuka
    2 years ago

I see M. Teixeira now has a Boynton Beach location.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

I second the recommendation for M. Teixeira. They are the best! Deeply knowledgeable.

• L C
    2 years ago

I’m in Ontario, Canada and have found the same issue. I did purchase our soapstone 2 weeks ago (stormy black) for our install next month. Supplier mentioned he had a only a few slabs left and not expecting new delivery for a few months. I really wanted Barroca soapstone which he used to supply but no longer as the quarry he used flooded.

• Andrea
    2 years ago

@L C I’’m in Ontario too, who are you dealing with. I’ve only found a few places that sell it?

• missb_remodeling
    2 years ago

I called five local shops last week and basically got the same answer- no one had any, and they didn’t know when the containers would leave their ports in Brazil.

We are on the West Coast.

• theotherjaye
    2 years ago

I just went and looked at two gorgeous slabs our designer had brought in from somewhere - I think Teixiera in the bay area? Anyhow, you can get nice soapstone even if you’re not somewhere it’s stocked via someone w/connections who gets what you’re looking for.. We are in Springfield, OR.

• darbuka
    2 years ago

@theotherjaye…yes, Teixeira has a location in SF.

• L C
    2 years ago

@Andrea , We purchased from Greensville Soapstone Company (Burlington location). Our kitchen installer recommended them.

• julieste
    2 years ago

To the OP: Where in Florida are you?

I just bought some in Clearwater (a little bit of a drive for me) at a stone yard that specializes in natural stone rather than all the man made stuff. Granted, there was not much selection (three choices between two different stores) and they didn't know much about the stone other than the fact that it is from Brazil, but I did get it and am really happy that I persisted in my search.

I found soapstone at Mont Krest and at International Stone Quarries.

• building2017
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, all! The M. Tex in Florida had a limited supply when we last checked - which makes sense now to learn so much is imported and supplies are down for others too. We like the look of PA slabs and Churchill. Anyone buy those from a different region and ship, or was that cost prohibitive?

Julie, we are in the panhandle near Destin.

• julieste
    2 years ago

I hate to say it, but, as with so many other items during Covid, sometimes you need to buy what you can get your hands on.

Perhaps you should check stoneyards in Mobile or Pensacola. Soapstone is definitely more difficult to find in Florida than in the north, but it is available if you persist. We're about 3.5 hours away from Boynton Beach where M. Tex is located in Florida. They quoted me about $300 to deliver here.

• darbuka
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Several years ago, there was a poster from the island of St. John. She purchased slabs from Teixeira’s New York location, and Teixeira shipped them to Miami. From there, the slabs went by boat to St. John. So, they really do ship all over.

About two or three years ago, this poster (I think Pia was her name), left St. John and moved to Florida (East Coast), and again ordered soapstone from Teixeira’s NY location, which was trucked to her Florida home. She was a very satisfied repeat customer.

• building2017
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great to know - thanks so much!

• bcafe
    2 years ago

We had soapstone shipped from M Tex in Denver to Wisconsin. It arrived in perfect condition and the templating was spot on. (our design team sent the counter specs)

• User
    2 years ago

I had MTex in Sterling VA provide and install my Dark and Stormy soapstone here in Lexington VA 3 yrs ago. They were great to work with and made an exception for me to do the full install/ delivery out of their area. They are remarkable folks with an amazing work ethic. c

They designed a custom sink and backsplash and window sill as well.

My island. the veining in dark and stormy is outstanding. . In the sunlight the inclusions are so beautiful.

• building2017
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So beautiful, Trailrunner!

• Jennifer Johnson
    2 years ago

I‘ve called to try and get some delivered here in North Texas. The price to ship right now for me put me well over my budget. I also found a local place that gave me a quote and then let me know the next time i spoke with them that if I didn't lock in then, prices were going to double because of limited supply since everything is on a boat somewhere waiting to be unloaded. The place in Sterling, VA is very helpful and nice. We were in that area last spring and stopped in to look at what they had. The lady at the front desk talked to me for a while and answered all the questions I had. I’m not totally giving up yet, but it’s looking bleak for me at this point. Sigh! Why does it have to be so pretty???😋😩😍

• julieste
    2 years ago

Contact all of your local places within about a 100 mile radius. You just might find a place or two that have some soapstone slabs even if they typically are granite and quartz places.

I found two places within 75 miles of me in Florida. One had a couple slabs of one variety, and the other had a couple slabs of two different varieties--so three varieties to choose from. Neither place could tell me anything other than the fact that it is soapstone from Brazil. We got two slabs from the stoneyard that had only one variety. It is absolutely gorgeous and exactly what I wanted.

And, yes, I did spend an immense amount of time on locally finding what I wanted. Good luck. Here soapstone was running about $1900 per standard size slab.

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

We didn't buy countertops (regrets) but we had soapstone fabricated for a radiator shelf in December. We used Vermont Soapstone. I really wanted soapstone counters but hubby picked the quartz. Biggest regret in a still unfinished reno.

• building2017
    Original Author
    last year

We found soapstone through M Tex (thanks for recommendations), but our fireplace needs stone on the ground for code and it will be higher than the flooring around it. How have people addressed this in the past? Do certain types of soapstone edging cuts work better than others for the transition? We were told not to go less than 2 cm in depth on the stone, which will be too high above the wood floor. Thanks

• Desert Cereus
    last year
    last modified: last year

@bcafe - also in Wisconsin. Can you share more details about your soapstone fabrication and shipping costs from Denver M Tex? Thanks!

• julieste
    last year

Where are you in Wisconsin? How far from the Twin Cities?

I did soapstone counters maybe 8 or so years ago in Minneapolis. At that time this place had about a dozen different types of soapstone in stock. Perhaps things have changed there, but it's worth a call if you are only a couple hours away. https://mspsurfaces.com/

• Desert Cereus
    last year

@julieste We are about 4.5 hours from Minneapolis. Thank you for the link!

• building2017
    Original Author
    last year

Just wanted to follow up to say buying through M. Text and having the slabs shipped to a local fabricator worked out. For anyone in Northwest FL / South Alabama, Southside Granite in Dothan was great to work with on the project.

• darbuka
    last year

Glad it worked out for you. Teixeira is the best in the soapstone business. Which variety did you get?