Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Roses with bush beauty & fast repeat & health & scent?

strawchicago z5
2 years ago
last modified: last year

Bush shots are hard to find. I once asked Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited what are some roses with bush beauty and constant blooming. She said: "Poseidon, Bliss Parfuma, Dark Desire, and Heaven on Earth." Too bad these don't have the strong scent that I seek, but I love my 8th-year own root Poseidon with Zepherine Drouhin in front (see below). Poseidon has bush beauty & constant blooming and winter-hardiness. Zeph. has bush beauty & once-bloomer & winter-hardiness and its heavenly scent can waft 30 feet away.

Below 10th-year-own root Evelyn has bush beauty & fast rebloom and winter hardiness. Pic. taken June 2021:

Below 10th-year own-root Carding Mill has bush beauty and constant blooming. Pic. taken at near 90 F:

Below 6th-year own-root Twilight zone has bush beauty (shiny leaves) & constant blooming and very winter hardy:

Below 11th-year own root Pat Austin has bush beauty (shiny leaves), constant blooming, and delicious mango and nectarine scent:

Below 4th-year own root Bolero has bush beauty (shiny leaves), constant blooming, but died when I moved it and put alfalfa meal in the planting hole. Got another Bolero last year.

Below 8th-year own root Munstead Wood has bush beauty (never see diseases), constant blooming, and winter hardiness, plus amazing blackberries and old rose scent:

Below 10th-year own-root Comte de Chambord has bush beauty (disease-free only with fast drainage), constant blooming, and winter hardiness.

Below 3rd-year own-root Sweet Mademoiselle has bush beauty, constant blooming, and winter hardiness (the far pink on top is Savannah). Sweet M. beats Dee-lish in rebloom.

What are your roses with bush beauty? Thank you.

Comments (73)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wow !! Those tiny leaves are so airy and make the bush so beautiful. I love sprays of light pinks. Your Huntington rose has better bush beauty than Scepter'd Isle, which I gave away due to its dirty-socks scent, plus I don't have the space for its gigantic bush.

My favorite bush beauty with tiny leaves is Blue Mist, a 10th-year own root rose at 1' x 1', it has fantastic wafting scent of old rose and musk. It's VERY DROUGHT tolerant, blooming well despite being invaded by tree roots:

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

That's very cute, Straw! And a great fragrance, to boot. I can see why you like it.

strawchicago z5 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Noseometer - a rose that smells like banana cream pie!! Oh, I love banana cream pie. :) :) I really love the leaves on your HR...and it sure throws a lot of lovely blooms. :)

Straw - I love your Blue Mist. I love how the old blooms and new new ones mingle their colors together. And it has a great fragrance to boot! Love!

strawchicago z5 thanked rosecanadian
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    2 years ago

Flowers, you need to post more pictures.

WOW

The way frangrant spreader grows is how i wish everything i have would fill out.

where did you get it? ive never heard it mentioned before.

i have cream veranda on order for may after so many recommendations for its form/habit/health/density

strawchicago z5 thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flowers: WOW !! I love all your pics. I appreciate your pic. of The Alnwick rose since it's in LongAgoRoses 2022 inventory. I adore your Mrs. John Laing's dark pink and many petals. Your pics are more exciting than this year David Austin's boring catalog.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Flowers - oh SWOON!!! Your Mrs. John Laing blooms are the epitome of what a rose bloom should be!!! And your The Alnwick Rose blooms are waaaay better than mine ever were!!! Thank you for posting these stunning roses!!!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dee-lish checks all the boxes: health, bush beauty, fast repeat, heat-tolerant and winter hardiness. Below is 7th-year own root Dee-lish in my zone 5a. Pic. taken last year at near 90 F in my rock-hard black clay:

• User
    2 years ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I strongly suspect your "Mrs. John Laing" isn't correctly ID'd. (Or perhaps you've photographed the wrong rose?)

'Mrs. John Laing' is a silvery pale pink with very different form from what you've shown here, a similar color to 'Mme. Caroline Testout'. And 'Mrs. John Laing' has a very light, vaguely Tea fragrance, not at all "old rose" in character. And the foliage is more matte, bluish-green in color. Your rose appears to be much more typical Hybrid Perpetual, showing ancestral Damask traits (which would explain the fragrance you describe) I'm curious, where did you get that plant?

strawchicago z5 thanked User
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Paul, I appreciate your input. I used to wonder if I had her name right, but decided on Mrs. JL and that's how I think of her. She's one of my oldest and the small local nursery she came from is no longer in business. A fairly well known rose grower on Pleasant Prairie in Spokane, Gerry Krueger, sold her business to a young brother sister team, but they only lasted a couple years. I bought her from them, along with Magna Charta because I couldn't decide between the two about 20 years ago. I lost her name and had no success in identifying her. The brother and sister were gone and Gerry had retired and gave up roses to travel. Mrs. John Laing was the best I could do. I used to always add that I wasn't sure, but had convinced myself that she actually is Mrs. JL. I do think she is a Hybrid Perpetual or Damask Perpetual because her form is so much like Magna Charta's and Marchesa Boccella's tight habit with short stems. For me, she is a prettier rose bush than either of those.

I would love to give her her proper name, so if you have any ideas, please let me know.

strawchicago z5 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Jc, I barely posted last year because we had non-stop house guests from early spring through fall. The garden suffered from neglect and from intense heat. At times, I put the company to work and there would be a bunch of us all watering the poor thirsty things. I bought my Fragrant Spreader from Northland, but rarely see it anywhere now. I hardly ever see any of the OSO Easy collection anymore. It makes a good shrub even when not blooming. However, she was not the right type for her spot, so I dug her up and didn't try to save her because I just didn't have time. I needed her spot for another rose. I do regret it. I think you will LOVE Cream Veranda!

Straw, what nice things to say. If you decide to get Mrs. John Laing, wait for Paul's suggestions as to what she might actually be. My Dee-Lish is much, much darker than yours. I wonder if something in my soil makes pinks darker?

Carol, the jury's still out on Mrs. JL. Don't judge your Alnwick too soon. Mine took years before she came into her own. I almost dug her up so many times. And, thank you for always making me feel like a pro.

• MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
    2 years ago

Such beautiful photos of rose bushes. I often miss full bush shots when doing research on HMF.

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) such a beautiful Huntingdon specimen. I am glad I finally found one last year. Since it is able to be a short climber in my mild climate I have it against a low fence. We'll see what it wants to do.

For good-looking healthy foliage Charles de Mills springs to mind, it has characteristically downturned leaves in a light green. I can always tell a CdM from afar.

I also like to mix Spinosissima-hybrids in with my "regular" roses. The tiny leaves with many leaflets are so pretty and make a great bush when the rose is out of flower. Of course the classic Stanwell Perpetual is never out of flower, but gets some "crud" similar to Damask crud. Aicha and Frûhlingsduft are spotless, on the other hand.

strawchicago z5 thanked MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
  • User
    2 years ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA "I would love to give her her proper name, so if you have any ideas, please let me know."

I wish I had an idea, but there are scores of HPs that look similar. (and HPs aren't really my strong suit) If its not 'Paul Neyron' or 'Reine des Violettes', then its a guessing game with no certain outcome.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    2 years ago

Full bush shots are so hard to find, aren't they Straw?

My Quietness is hardy and does well, but I had phenomenal rabbit damage for such an easy winter. I couldn't find my better pic of it though.

Therese Bugnet is lovely, but mine is now half as big due to cane girdlers.

Steven

strawchicago z5 thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    2 years ago

Thanks, Paul. I don't believe it's Paul Neyron or Reine des Violettes. I've grown both and don't remember them looking quite like this.

Steven, I'm sorry to hear about Therese Bugnet's troubles. Yours was one of the prettiest I've seen. She's such a fast and determined grower. she'll be as good as new in no time.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - with a Dee-Lish THAT beautiful...I'd give up variety and plant those everywhere...okay maybe I wouldn't LOL...but man, that would be glorious!!!

Flowers - you say the nicest things! And it's too late for my The Alnwich Rose...it's long gone. :)

Steven - that last picture made me gasp!!! Love it!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

Steven: You have the best Therese Bugnet ever !! Love that vase shaped bush.

Carol: I hope to see MORE pictures of your roses in pots. Your compact & lots of blooms roses have the best bush beauties I have seen.

My 11th-year own-root Carding Mill always have bush beauty, and it has the fastest repeat (constant blooming) among my 34 Austins. Below pic. was taken in hot July:

In spring time, Carding Mill's blooms are larger, see below. It has pretty medium to light green leaves:

• rosecanadian
    last year

Thanks, Teresa! :) :) Man, that's a fabulous Carding Mill!! I didn't know they got that tall! The spring look has such stuffed blooms!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

Marie Pavie has bush beauty and winter-hardiness (hardy to zone 4), but Perfume Breeze won me over with its better scent. Below is Marie Pavie in my garden, nice musk scent:

• rosecanadian
    last year

Straw - I got a Perfume Breeze this year. I hope it does well and survives for me. :) No blooms yet...still pretty small and still in its small greenhouse pot. My goodness!!! Your MP is a stunner!! Talk about a bloom fest!! I can't imagine having that growing in my yard...sheer beauty!!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I think I may have been to that nursery over a decade or two ago where you got your Mrs j Laing. Did the nursery have a beautiful stream at the south end with a picnic table to sit at ? I think I hit just about all the nurseries around Spokane back then...

This year I received a M J Laing from High Country. She's growing reasonably well for this terribly cold rainy weather. If she blooms this year I'll try to post photos.

By the way your rose is really pretty, I had my hopes up mine would look like that, but now that Paul Barden mentioned it, your photo does not closely match those on HMF- but it's a beauty nevertheless.

strawchicago z5 thanked berrypiez6b
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Is zeph a once-bloomer? In JP site it blooms all season as a climber. I am considering ordering one in the fall.

strawchicago z5 thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, Zeph is a once-bloomer, but it has one month of tons of blooms spring flush, and a 2nd flush of 5 blooms max. I can smell its raspberry and rose scent 30 feet away.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

That is very beautiful!

• seasiderooftop
    last year

Gorgeous pictures, @strawchicago z5 , thanks so much for sharing! Marie Pavie and Zephirine Drouhin are both looking fabulous!

strawchicago z5 thanked seasiderooftop
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Straw - oh, I really hope mine grows...I can't wait to smell the fragrance. Yours looks like a bush? How big is yours?

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

As 8th-year own-root, Zeph is 4' x 3' ... I chop it down after blooming to 2 feet. Zeph's scent is more pure rose than Perfume Breeze (has a musk element). Below is Zeph, pic. taken in our early spring mid-May: It's green to the tip through my zone 5a winter:

It had over 100 blooms in spring, with floating scent 30 feet away:

• rosecanadian
    last year

Ooooh!!! Wonderful!!! So I could grow mine as a shrub. :) :)

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

I placed an order. Thanks Straw foe the pictures

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

forever_a_newbie_VA8 Zeph Drouhin is healthier if drastically pruned down to 3 feet after each blooming. It gives a massive spring flush, so I prune it down to 3 feet. For 2nd feet it gives a few blooms until end of July, then it needs to be chopped down to 3 feet again. We have tons of rain in July which makes it grow super tall.

If Zeph is not chopped down short BEFORE dry & hot August, it will mildew from lack of water.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

W.S. 2000 as 12th-year own-root fits all 4 categories of: best bush beauty, fast repeat, best health, best scent, plus most compact & doesn't take up space.

The scent is heady violets and old rose, better than Munstead Wood's blackberry rose scent. The repeat is just as good as Munstead Wood, but it far surpasses Munstead Wood in bush beauty and health. Never see blackspots nor mildew on W.S. 2000 in the 12 years growing it as own root.

It's the healthiest among my 34 own-root Austin roses, despite being right next to the rain spout. Below pic. was taken end of July at over 90 F, it's in 4 hours of morning sun:

W.S. 2000 can get big at 4 inch. across as a matured own root. Below blue rose is Poseidon (smaller bloom). When I first bought it as own root 12 years ago, I was spell-bounded by its violets and old rose scent. No other rose can smell like it.

W.S. 2000 blooms can be purplish with horse manure:

Below are my 3 best roses for the vase: W.S. 2000 (top) lasts 4 days, CPM (yellow/orange) lasts 5 days, and The Dark Lady (bottom) lasts for 3 days:

Below W.S. 2000 turns purple with low phosphorus fertilizer. Phosphorus shifts bloom to the red zone, and W.S. 2000 doesn't do well with high phosphorus chicken manure (too hot).

• rosecanadian
    last year

Straw - yup...my Zephirin Drouhin is mildewing. I think I'm going to take it off of its trellis and grow it as a shrub. :) Your WS2000 is magnificent! The 2nd picture is SWOON-worthy!! :) :)

• berrypiez6b
    last year

rosecanadian , the battle and extreme effort you put into growing your precious beauties in a cold climate is so inspiring to me, I'm really encouraged by the fantastic photos you posted this year. I'm not giving up on my little flower patch, though sometimes I want to.

Sweet Frances is getting mildew too. It took me by surprise, the roses have all been so healthy for a few months. As the sunlight that reaches her decreases, she suffers. Instead of treating the mildew with milk spray, this time I just cut off a large affected portion. I'm getting a bit more callused about chopping .

Surprisingly Sweet Frances outdid them all for constant flowering in her first year. The September blooms are smaller, more apricot, and the scent is more pronounced, hard to define. She takes the winner's award for best all around rose this year. It looks like she may have potential to have all the great qualities of repeat and health, were it a better location and proper diet. I didn't fertilize at all this year.

Funny Paul Neyron, notorious for disease, is perfectly healthy and charging ahead with tall new growth. Sun makes all the difference. He didn't put out many blooms, but what he did is sufficient to say he did remarkably well in his first year.

I accidently weeded out lots of dwarf stocks. They were supposed to bloom in Spring to tell me what they were. One that escaped being pulled is starting to bloom, they smell sooo sweet ! The little pink stock is trying to make up for lack of rose perfume in the garden.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Berrypie - thanks. :) :) No, we shall not give up...we can do this! :) :) I think you did well in chopping off the offending part of Sweet Frances. Good for Paul Neyron...love it when a rose surprises us in a good way. :) A rose that really surprised me is my Queen of Elegance...I really love that rose! I don't even know what stock is....?? :)

• berrypiez6b
    last year

They smell so great

come in tall spikes of various colors, and dwarf which is what I have grown.

photo is from FLORET

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    last year

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) Seems like Huntington is truly a DA garden rose! It does the same thing in wet PNW. It is going back on my list, thanks!

forever_a_newbie_VA8 My ZD from homedepot ownroot is both a spring and fall bloomer. Fall seems sparce, but spring was about 2 months. Maybe it will change to Strawchicago's once blooming when it is established, but I'll probably get rid of it, really horrible hot pink and I would have to move it out by the deer and rabbits to keep it. But it doesn't have any thorns, so I might move it.

strawchicago z5 I almost got Heaven on Earth....so disappointed, but it wasn't meant to be...love the bush shots.

strawchicago z5 thanked ann beck 8a ruralish WA
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Berrypie - so beautiful! :) Fragrance is a wonderful bonus.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

My WS2k turns more purplish or more red depending on the weather. Same for all the other reds/purplish Austins. Many have been in large pots for long periods of time (years) with the same soil, fertilizers, & growing conditions. The roots grow through the pot bottoms but all had been in the same general area of the yard with the same soil conditions..mainly sandy with some organic matter etc.

I am in a hot humid zone with mild winters & few freezes, so it might be different for others.

Straw, I wish my Carding Mill was as beautiful as yours. Mine blooms best in the winter so maybe it likescooler conditions. My blooms arent normally as large and colorful as yours unless it get really cool at night.

strawchicago z5 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Sultry, are you preparing for the hurricane? I have been thinking about you alot with this crazy storm. Mother nature is on a tare for sure.

strawchicago z5 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b) Thank you for info. on your soil (sandy with organic matter). My rock-hard & alkaline clay soil is very high in magnesium, so I used the entire bag of MG-Garden soil for roses and W.S. 2000 prefers that over my black-gumbo clay.

My 12th-year own root Christopher Marlowe has bush beauty and perfect health. Never see blackspots on it. Note below my black clay cracks when it's dry. Chris scent is posh: a mix of carnation, musk and lemon. Bush is small at 2' x 2.5'.

last year

Hi Kristine, Yes, we are getting prepared here and watching the forecast closely.

We are about an hour inland from the panhandle coast (a little closer as the crow flies) so we won't get the brunt of the hurricane but we could still get lots of rain, some wind, tornado spin offs, flooding, loss of power, etc. Our wells are electric powered so we do have to prepare for that.

I am filling up two huge horse water troughs left by the previous owners, for the animals' water today , just in case.. as well as water bottles, jugs, etc for us. I always keep some milk jugs of clean water in our freezer, frozen, in case the power goes out, it helps keep stuff cold much longer as long as nobody opens the doors up too often lol.

We do have an older generator that works and a gas chainsaw.

The last hurricane that hit near us in FL, we lost power and got trapped in by fallen trees and power lines, etc across the driveway lol.

Many stores are already selling out of some things here & even on the east side of the state from what I hear from relatives there.

Hopefully, it will miss us but once its in the Gulf, its gonna hit somewhere so I hate to wish it on others.

I am worried about the farm animals. I have one very pregnant doe (goat) due any time now. During H Rita, when we lived in Louisiana, we had a very pregnant cat who went into labor just as the hurricane hit. She was having her kittens in the car as we evacuated. We also had our parrots in the car with us and our dog. All the hurricane shelters were full of Katrina refugees from the month prior, so we literally spent a week in our car. We had 6ft of water in our town so we had to wait for that to recede before we could return.

There's something about barometric pressure changes and labor lol.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b) My prayers are with you. Hope that the storm misses everyone.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Sultry - a week in your car?! Oh my goodness. I hope you don't have to do that this time. Prayers for you!!

last year

Thank you!

rose canada, Yes it really sucked but there were no hotels,motels, shelters, nothing for 3 states over, at that time! Everyone close that we knew there, also had to evacuateoff of the coastline. We were lucky to be allowed to buy $10 of gas (cash only) to get out of town. They were putting limits on everything. Always keep a little cash during any disaster because once the grid goes down, there's no atms working and credit card machines won't work either.

Are you near the part of Canada where the other hurricane affected?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Sultry sending good thoughts your way!

strawchicago z5 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • berrypiez6b
    last year

You are really wise to prepare well Sultry, we will be praying for you and the animals .

last year

Thank you :) Hopefully it will just pass on by or break up a lit before it hits lol.

Straw, your Christopher Marlowe is lovely. I adore that color. It is one I don't have yet. The fragrance sounds yummy too.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Sultry - no I'm much closer to the Pacific Ocean. There's British Columbia (above Washtington), then mountains and then us. :) So we're safer than can be. :) I never thought of it like that...we should keep cash in the house. Such a good idea! Keep safe.

Straw - I agree with Sultry - your CM is wonderful! I love both the up close shot and the bush shot. :)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last year

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b) Did the hurricane passed through you? How's your garden?

Christopher Marlowe is the easiest to root among below out-of-patent roses that I root to donate money to charities: Evelyn, W.S. 2000, Spirit of Freedom, Christopher Marlowe, The Dark Lady, The Squire, Augusta Luis, James Galway, Mary Magdalene, Abraham Darby, Sonia Rykiel, Dee-lish, Golden Celebration, Carding Mill, Gertrude Jekyll, Radio Times.

My 12th-year own-root Christopher Marlowe is the MOST WINTER-HARDY, still keep its leaves despite frosts at 13 F, below pic. taken 11/29/22 in my zone 5a:

Below pic. was taken Oct 16:

Below pic. showing Chris' unique color in a bouquet. Yellow is Golden Cel. Light pink is a faded Evelyn. Left is a faded blue Poseidon.

I like above Christopher Marlowe BETTER THAN below Kordes Summer Sun. Both are 100% healthy, but Chris. has better bush beauty than Summer Sun.

Below Kordes Summer Sun's color is gaudier & less petals, plus bush is floppy, plus scent is NOT as good as Chris.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Straw - Christopher Marlowe hasn't been on my radar...but you are making me think I should try it...the fragrance alone sounds intoxicating...and then there's the beauty you show!! I really love the color changes...the pink on the bush and the other bloom that's more orange.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH