Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_493540721

NYC terrace gardening

Jill Milhorat
2 years ago

Looking for ideas about various outdoor trellises (brick wall) for climbing plants (flowers, veggies and strawberries). Interested in ones with ability to withstand weather.

Thank you in advance,

Jill

Comments (14)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

A photo of the location might get you some suggestions. btw strawberries don’t need trellis.

Jill Milhorat thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Jill Milhorat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your response!

Meant to say wanting to put up a trellises for climbing flowers in addition to boxes for strawberries: I am able to grow strawberries indoors and have a raised bed for various berries on terrace.

Apartment is Eastern and Southern exposure so full sun. I need to avoid the East/South corner as that is where the wind and rain is the hardest. Thinking wood will probably not last very long.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Depends on what vine you plan to grow, what size of pot you will be using, is the trellis going to be freestanding or lean on a wall? Wind can be a big factor in choosing the shape and size of a trellis. I have switched from fan/Y shaped to a tepee for taller vines for the sake of stability and minimizing wind damage. I have grown clematis, honeysuckle, morning glories and cardinal climbers. Large clematis definitely need a more tepee/tower/pyramidal structure. I use bamboos and twine. Cheap and easy to replace and store.

• petrushka (7b)
    2 years ago

if you are not ready to go with permanent trellis you might try various tomato cages either round or triangular similar to these

• Jill Milhorat
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you for all of your input.

I decided on a metal 71" tall flexible trellis that will be secured to the brick on the corner. Since it comes as a set of 2, the other will be flat. Given weather and winds, it made sense to purchase something sturdier than wood which would also cause harm if/when blown off.

This will help one climbing rose on the corner and will have multi-use purpose for climbing flowers or veggies.

Just wanted to reiterate how happy I am to have stumbled across this site! Aside from the products offered for purchase, these discussions are very helpful and such a pleasant place.

I really appreciate these discussions and various input! Not too many other people can appreciate the thrill of having hand-pollinated tropical fruits indoors and the 15+ baby blueberries that "appeared" this Sunday on a terrace in Lower NY!

Jill

• Jill Milhorat
    Original Author
    last year

Oh my Goodness! This is wonderful -- thank you! My rooftop garden has really blossomed into a beautiful oasis thanks to so many people with suggestions.

I will post current pics shortly. Attached is a small portion of my indoor garden. These are the 100% recyclable Wally planters. This is my "Wall of Strawberries": While watching a movie you pick strawberries as a snack.

Jill

• Jill Milhorat
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Here are some photos I just took of the terrace (downtown New Rochelle, NY). I'm shocked as everything is growing faster and better than I imagined. I'm not a good photographer, so the pics don't nearly do it justice.

Jill

• Jill Milhorat
    Original Author
    last year

More roses, blueberries and honeyberries. Apples are getting big!

• Jill Milhorat
    Original Author
    last year

More roses, blueberries and honeyberries. Apples are getting big!

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

Jill, you have done a fantastic job! It is really looking way better than a first season of starting a garden.

• Jill Milhorat
    last year

Thank you!!!
    First time gardening on a rooftop instead of traditional backyard. One major advantage is not pesky squirrels 🐿

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

or snails, deer, rabbits or any rodents...

• Jill Milhorat
    last year

There could be a mice, but a sweet family of hawks live on the roof above me so that isn’t an issue. And I have 3 cats guarding the indoor tropicals & citrus.