Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelcoqui

Which evergreens for Zone 7 NY

joelcoqui
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are removing the 3 Boxwoods and dead silver plants in front. The J.maple on left and the Alaskan Cedar and dwarf spruce on right is staying. What foundation plants in front? Definitely need something Evergreen. Zone 6- 7

Comments (17)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago

We need more information on where you live. There's Nevada zone 7 and there's Georgia zone 7. Totally different climates. Oh, I see it's New York.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

A photo wouldn't go amiss either.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Unfortunately Houzz is having issues with loading pix today.

tj

• plantkiller_il_5
    2 years ago

You would do well to make that bed deeper so you don't have to line things up like soldiers

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don't know what that means. I know we need Foundation plants and then in the front I can put anything else. I don't know whether we should do symmetrical or not.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

It means that rows of anything makes your garden look more like a farm than a garden. Or an army of plants lined up to do battle :-) Foundation plantings read better as drifts or clusters of like plants rather than aligned in regimented rows.

And since the façade of your home is not symmetrical, the plantings would look odd if they were. You want a more casual, natural approach.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

To help achieve the drift/clusters look I would make the bed at least three feet wider. If that is a Japanese maple on the left, pull it out another 3-5 feet from the house and spread out whatever the green is under the windows. Which blue spruce is that on the right?

tj

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Its a dwarf picea I think. I am willing to move that but the j maple and natkoosa I can not. I just paid someone to do it last year. the maple went into shock and I brought it back. cant take chances. There is no space to make it wider. Im maxed out on the property. I wish I had a landscape app to help me but Im not savvy in this department. I have to do cut outs like a child.! lol What about a few globe variegated boxwood shrubs on the left then one ornamental in the middle like a hinoki cypress.?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Please do not use the term "jap" when referring to your maple. That is a pejorative term/ethnic slang that many find offensive. Just abbreviate with the letter 'J' before maple if you have to. Or use 'JM's'.

joelcoqui thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cecily 7A Do you think i should stay taller on the right then scale down shorter to the left?

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just a view from the other side.

• cecily 7A
    2 years ago

The plants beneath the windows should all be roughly the same height.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

diagrams? anyone?

• plantkiller_il_5
    2 years ago

You've got tons of space to make that bed deeper . ( forward )

cutouts work great !

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I do but I don't wanna only have 8 feet from the bed to the sidewalk.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

^^^ Why not? unless you have small children that play regularly in the front yard, the lawn is only there as an accent and has no other practical purpose. And the lawn looks in really poor shape anyway. I'd be much more inclined to focus on an attractive selection of evergreen foundation shrubs with a few color accents than a purposeless and unattractive high maintenance lawn.