Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yess2coupon

Bathroom Design help & ideas

Yessenia xoxo
2 years ago

My bathroom is originally from the 70’s and to be honest I don’t hate it but it’s in need of repairs. I figured it would be a good time to give it a facelift, however I have no idea as to what to do for aesthetics.
Some of the questions I have are:
should I tile the walls and retile the floor?
Should it all be the same tile?
Should it be big tiles or small tiles?

Although it’s a small bathroom it’s our main bathroom. I would love something timeless and classic

Comments (14)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Actually a nice bathroom. You can get away with painting the walls gray for a quick update while you get estimates for a gut job. Not sure why there is a shower curtain rod and a shower door! Probably the door was installed subsequently. I would plan carefully and do the whole bathroom. It might be easier than trying to salvage some tile, which although looks to be in good condition, is dated. Look through some bathroom reno pics, and post a few you like.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

For a quick and easy update, pick a color from your floor tile for your walls, and paint them. I would also put a shower curtain (a nice one, that goes with your new paint, and the flooring), on that rod up above the doors. Your choice to either remove the doors, or keep them, The shower curtain, could be there, just to make it look prettier. A few counter accessories and some pretty towels, and maybe a rug in front of the sink, and it will look very nice.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO we need more info . IMO there is nothing timeless or classic about what you have but we need to know how far you are willing to go to change this. IMO a gut job and do over but I need info from you .I for sure would not add a shower curtain to this mix. IMO trying to save bits of a space is never good planning but at least give us some idea of your budget.

• Yessenia xoxo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for great advice. My husband said he will pay for new tile everywhere. And new bathtub and shower combo. Also new a new double sink. And of course we would paint. He told me to find the tile I like and we would go from there.
    I have some people tell me to tile everything the same from floor to walls but am not sure if that would look ok or overbearing.
    Or should I go with 2 different tiles for floor and then inside bathtub/shower?
    Should the actual walls by the vanity have tile too?

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Well, the good news is that your bathroom appears to have a practical layout so you shouldn't have to move any plumbing. If there is a tile store or flooring store that sells tile near you go there and take advantage of their design experience. You won't get that level of assistance in a big box store. We live in a large metro area so we have plenty of options like this, I hope you do near you. We have remodeled four full baths and two powder rooms (two different houses) with their assistance. They are aware of what is popular and how to coordinate their products.

You can help vendors and yourself by spending as much time as you have looking at pictures on Houzz and compiling an Ideabook of things you like. After a while you will start to see patterns in the pictures you are saving and will start to refine your style. There are also many articles on Houzz about bathroom remodeling. Since this is your first adventure with this type of project you would benefit from reading as much as you can. Once you educate yourself more and refine your style you can always come back and post again if you're having trouble deciding between a couple choices.

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

Great idea on working with a local tile store (if its an option) ours worked closely with our installer and their coordination made my life easier for sure

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Try Aqua-Fold doors from Lowe's. They fold and pivot in and out of the tub.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Quick comment on the double sink - you will lose lots of counter space and storage below, if you have 2 sinks instead of 1. How many people will use it regularly and need to keep toiletries etc there?

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

I think you plans are more suited for a bigger bath…..if you don’t use the tub that much…a walk in shower would be much more spacious…a newer more modern .(perhaps a little bigger) sink will preserve the storage there..and if it is code i would center the toilet better and have open shelving ..not knowing what is in the closet…perhaps removing it and and extending the sink area to accommodate two sinks…would add enough storage underneath ..giving the whole space a more open feel

• Kevin Doherty
    2 years ago

Before you start planning and purchasing, ask yourself "What is the overall aesthetic in the rest of my house and how will this remodel/update relate to that?"

• Yessenia xoxo
    Original Author
    last year

Would these two tiles look ok without making the bathroom too dark? I have no windows. I was thinking of using the wooden ceramic tile for the floor and the white tiles on the wall. I currently have these two ceramic tiles in different parts of the house so I thought maybe I could bring them into the bathroom. Your honest opinions please.

• ptreckel
    last year

You said that you would like your bathroom to look timeless and classic. If that is still the case, I would say no to both of these tiles. If you already have them in your home, I would not re use them in your bathroom. Your options are vast. What is your budget? How old is your home? What is your style?

• btydrvn
    last year

Bathrooms are more traditionally treated as an “ oasis” in the home…decor-wise and purpose-wise…separate and not a continuation of other rooms …but…a larger format tile …with some variegations is… easier to clean/keep clean …in any bath…