Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_38632450

Today's blooms: Carolyn Supinger

User
2 years ago

The first flush of bloom on 'Carolyn Supinger' are often quite extraordinary. Today's are no exception!

Comments (19)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Wow that is pretty! What a phenomenal color!!

User thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    2 years ago

Gorgeous color! I can’t wait to receive this rose from Rogue Valley Roses :) Helen

User thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Beautiful, Paul! Mine will follow soon.

User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    2 years ago

I hate the word "stunning", but...

...it's stunning.

User thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

The color is amazing and I love that petal shape! What a beauty!

User thanked seasiderooftop
  • librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

What a fantastic color. So beautiful!

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, folks. it is a remarkable color - quite unlike any other miniature rose i know.

@portlandmysteryrose I’m not sure how to describe the fragrance - its a very ”modern rose” scent, with a distict sweetness, and a bit spicy/carnation, I guess. Hard to describe. I can’t think of any other rose that has the same kind of scent. Its got a component that is similar to its distant relative, ’Sweet Chariot’.

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    2 years ago

Gasp - that is just breathtaking! You breed some amazing roses, Paul. Now we need to badger Rogue Valley into keeping them on the market so that we can keep these roses vibrant and growing in a wide variety of settings.

Of course I want one of them to be my yard...

Cynthia

User thanked Nippstress Nebraska z5
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

What a gorgeous, rich color on this little rose. I love all those packed, pointed petals. Diane

User thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Rideau Rose Lad
    2 years ago

Gorgeous image and rose Paul! Probably not cold hardy enough for here though. Sigh. The plant you gave me to take to California 3 years ago is growing well in a 5 gallon pot at last report and John has done some propagating of it to the best of my knowledge.

I do expect however, to finally get about a dozen plants of 8 or your varieties currently growing in California across the border later in April. The Covid border restrictions have finally eased enough that they can be shipped and I can pick them up. By May, they should be planted in the public garden at Summerland where visitors can view them and ask where they can buy them.. Then we can grow the mother plants for future propagation. Update coming later this spring on that project.

Cheers, Rick

User thanked Rideau Rose Lad
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@User Thank you so much for the scent info. CS’s aroma sounds complex and lovely! Honestly, my roses are aromatherapy for my soul, so CS is going to be a real treat for my nose and wellbeing! I’d describe MB as clove-spicy-sweet. I have yet to smell (Damask scented?) Sweet Chariot but a local Antique Rose Forum friend of mine is sharing a plant of SC with my sister who is moving to Portland this summer. I’ll get to smell SC then. I am very excited about comparing the blooms, scents and habits of these three great roses! I seem to remember Jeri posting about CS and her scent, too. I’m going to search for that post. I decided to pass along to newly seduced gardeners a few of my more common roses as well a few roses that have outgrown their spaces, a win-win all around, I think. I am now intentionally collecting and growing rarer and smaller cultivars. I am slowing down budgetwise and timewise due to increased personal responsibilities, a few health issues, a desire to bolster corners of the world that need an extra lift and other such things, but I’ll probably always purchase a few roses each year and share a few. I’ll always gratefully rose swap. I‘ll also always nurture an array of special keepers. Trying new roses: It’s what we rose gardeners do, right? Even when we swear our gardens are full! I suspect CS is going to land in my special keeper collection. I have been online admiring her uniqueness and beauty for a long time. Like MB, she should be widely grown. Gorgeous, compact roses for the smaller urban spaces where so many around the world live now.

@Rideau Rose Lad I am celebrating your decision to import a pile of wonderful Paul Barden roses into Canada and cheering on your adventure! You are a blessing to the rose world!! Thank you. The Summerland Garden sounds like it is a rare treasure. Maybe someday my family will travel up the continent to see it.

Carol

User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Side note: 'Carolyn Supinger' is bred from 'Midnight Blue' and the Moore miniature, 'Pinstripe', a red and white striped miniature (possibly the best of its kind ever created). Although its a very rare sight, occasionally 'Carolyn Supinger' produces one or two striped petals!

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Oh, my confusion, Paul! My brain. No words. But I know Ralph Moore’s Pinstripe. What a coincidence and what a mini rose! I was just looking at Pinstripe on HMF. It gets excellent reviews, and photos of the blooms are absolutely incredible! I recently passed along a plant of Tom Carruth’s Scentimental to a gardener who had long admired its blooms. I had been eyeing Pinstripe for a long while and checked to see if RVR carries it. RVR does, and I signed up to be waitlisted for notification. Burlington is listed as a source, too, so if it’s available there, I’ll see if Burling can send one with my Benny Lopez. I’ve been intending to contact her this week. Personal trivia: My mother grew and loved Pinstripe’s parent, Pinocchio. That rose was one of my first introductions to roses in general. My mom generously let me pick and admire the blooms as a young girl. Your Carolyn Supinger has quite the pedigree! Thank you for clearing up my discombobulation and sharing the parentage of CS. Growing CS will be extra fun because (hopefully) I’ll also be growing both of her parents in my garden, too. I’ll post photos of all three together, of course. :-) Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

P.S.

I WILL be keeping eyes open for rare striped petals in CS’s blooms!!

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    2 years ago

I just saw this one available at RVR and went back and forth on it. It really is absolutely stunning! I’m not sure how happy it would be in my zone 5b though? It’s still in my cart over at RVR and I feel that all i truly need is a ”it might do ok” to spring for it. 😋 What a beauty.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@LauraLG Z5b-NwPA Well, that depends. How well do Miniatures in general overwinter in your area? I would expect them to die back to the ground every year, but most should resume new growth every spring. I don't think Miniatures as a class are any less hardy than most any modern HT or Floribunda.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Utterly gorgeous!!! What a color!

User thanked rosecanadian
  • LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    2 years ago

@User minis do alright here. After this past winter, which was particularly harsh, I have a lot of die back but just to the snow line. I think I’ll go for it. I’ll baby her a little extra over the winter. She’s just gorgeous!