Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Plant names? Anyone know?

Lynn Nevins
last year
last modified: last year

I think these are volunteer plants. Any guesses? I'm in NYC. Thanks! (See pix below. For some reason Gardenweb often doesn't let me add pix to my primary post...I have to add them as a separate comment...)

Comments (23)

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    last year

For first pic above, plant in the back is Great Blue Lobelia. I'm wondering about smaller leaves/plant in front.

For second pic below, I'm wondering about the plant in the foreground. Thanks!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

The 1st is perhaps Glechoma hederacea - ground ivy.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Is the second one aromatic if you crush a leaf? Top might be a Lamium if not Glechoma. Henbit?

• linaria_gw
    last year

I think the first rather looks like some Veronica, speedwell. Glecoma has a different all over shape IME, and it produces runners (stolones) so that is quite telling

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last year

The 1st pic. Lamium amplexicaule has lower leaves with petioles, the leaves on the stem are spaced widely apart, and the stem leaves clasp the stem(amplexicaulius). It has an upright habit. The leaves bend downward, rekaxed Glechoma hederacea has leaves with long petioles, and a prostrate, vining habit

I think it's Lamium amplexicaule, because downward, relaxed leaves. The new leaves of Glechoma are close together, and falsely appear to be clasping. Lynn's plant is very small, and the stem isn't visible. The tops of both plants look very similar. The leaves on Lynn's plant look relaxed, so I think this is Lamium amplexicaule. The leaves of Glechoma hederacea are slightly cup shaped, and more rugose.

P They call it henbit, because chickens love to eat them. The Lamium is an annual, Glechoma hederacea is an evergreen perennial.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

The second looks like the holy basil to me. It has a very aromatic leaf when crushed (as floral asked).

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last year

Ken, I gather you consider henbit a weed, which of the other 2 plants do you think is a weed. Holy Basal, or Blue Lobelia. It's probably the Holy Basil, because anything that shows up that wasn't purposely planted is a weed right?😆

last year

I have never grown Holy basil, does it have a hairy stem? Online pics can be deceiving but the stems appear smooth. The plant Lynn is asking about certainly has a hairy stem.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

I have grown two cultivars of the holy basil. Yes, they are hairy. A simple smell test should confirm if it is holy basil.

last year

Thank you getgoing!

• lizzieswellness
    last year

I think the first one is Glechoma hederacea

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all.

Regarding the first, I guess I'll see if/when flowers appear and then decide if I like it. Whether it's either of the two cultivars mentioned, I'd not necessarily mind such a plant.

As for the second pic, indeed the stem is a bit hairy. I pinched off a leaf and crushed it, and while it does have an odor, it just smells 'grassy' more than anything. I think I'll pull that plant.

Also, I don't like to refer to anything as 'a weed', but rather, 'invasive' or 'something I don't particularly care for'. So like for e.g., I get bothered when so many suburban homeowners insist on perfect green lawns and then apply chemicals to get rid of 'weeds' like dandelion. I love dandelion flowers, seed pods, and the edible leaves of course. ;-)

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

I still think it is holy basil, it has excellent tiny purple flowers for pollinators and the leaves are great for tea to soothe cough and cold. But of course if it isn't useful to you no point keeping it.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

Or, if you have Indian neighbors or friends, they will very appreciate a gift of the beloved Tulsi plant.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last year

Get going, I agree with Ocimum tenuiflorum. I've grown it.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

I just started seeds for both ocimum tenuiflorum and Ocimum sanctum. They usually succumb to root rot in the winters indoors (or just neglect). just curious, what did you use it for?

• woodrose
    last year

The first one is definitely ground ivy. I've seen enough of it in my lifetime to know it immediately on sight. I agree with Ken, they're both "weeds".

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last year

I grew it to experience it, and I used it as an herb for cooking. It gives a nice flaver to Middle Eastern dishes. Of course it's spiritual reputation in India made me want to grow it also. This brings back a memory. About 3 years ago I grew Tulsi in a big pot, and it flowered and threw seeds, which also grew and flowered all in 1 season. I didn't recognize the seedlings, and I thought perhaps they were hybrids of a couple other mints that I grew. Floral ID'd it immediately for me, and I felt like a dummy, because they were growing in a pot, just a few feet away Lol.

I still think the other plant is Lamium amplexicaule. Time will tell.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I also think no.1 is Henbit. The uneven lobing of the newest leaves is a give away imo. There would be no question if I could touch and sniff the plant. The texture of Glechoma hederaceae is quite different. As is the smell.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    last year

Jay, I have never used it in cooking. I will give it a try.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last year

Getgoing, I'll even throw some in spaghetti sauce, with Agastache foeniculum leaves too.