Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paltmaie

Entry door - single or double, no porch

paltmaie
2 years ago

I just bought a home in VA. The entry door faces due north. There is no porch or shelter over the front door. Currently there is a single door with sidelights, not in good condition, so we plan to replace them with a Provia fiberglass door. I am thinking to change to a double door, since it will be easier to move big items in - the single door there now is not particularly wide, it's just a standard size.

Here's the photo. Right now there's a storm door as well I assume to protect the wood, which we plan to remove.

Is there any reason to prefer a Provia single door with sidelights over a double door?

Comments (11)

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I personally prefer a single door. But your house would look good with double. Would you get ones with glass?

I think the trim would be prettier in white or a very light gray.

paltmaie thanked houssaon
  • paltmaie
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am thinking of a Craftsman door with about 1/3 glass - whether I go with single or double.

Yes, I am changing the trim color. I don't know what induced them to make it green! I was actually thinking chocolate brown - I hadn't thought of white. I'll photoshop that and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion!

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Single door, double doors with no adequate overhead protection are just a mess waiting to happen unfortunately, even from a quality brand like Provia.

paltmaie thanked millworkman
  • Lorraine Leroux
    2 years ago

I have a single door with sidelights with one of the sidelights opens to allow for large items to move in and out. Just thought I would offer another option

paltmaie thanked Lorraine Leroux
  • Valinta
    2 years ago

Will a double door repeat the curved top as currently shown on your door and windows? Is it possible to add a curved portico over a new door - double or single - for protection? North wind, rain, snow will be brutal on an unprotected door.

paltmaie thanked Valinta
  • M Riz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What a beautiful home, . Valentina has a nice idea w a curved portico. Without some sort of protection for your new door, it will end up in the same condition as this door, rotting wood and all. Because its a north facing door, when it gets damp or wet from rain or snow, it probably never truly dries out like a south facing door would. Whatever you replace when you swap your door will also rot.

paltmaie thanked M Riz
  • paltmaie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh wow, those are great suggestions. I hadn't noticed the front door match to the arch, just that it had the arched window above. And yes, I was planning a curved canopy in front but was at a loss as to what to do. Love your ideas! Thank you!

• paltmaie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I had been planning to keep the arched window, and use this sort of door, so the arch would be retained. Perhaps I shouldn't have called it Craftsman, though that's what Provia calls it.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

The door you're showing is attractive, it's just not a good fit for your house. I find that a 36" wide door is sufficient for getting things in and out and I have moved more times than I care to think about. If yours is already this wide I don't think you need to change it. Please take Beverly's style suggestions to heart - Craftsman is not it.

paltmaie thanked kandrewspa
  • paltmaie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all! This is great input. I've never changed a front door before or for that matter changed exerior look at all so hadn't thought through all the ramifications on door fit to house style. Nor had I thought about white trim given white windows. So much to learn! Thank you everyone.