Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Dee-Lish or Mademoiselle, which one do you like better?

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
last year
last modified: last year

My Dee-Lish bushes have bloom troubles. They're doing a lot of petal edge crisping in the heat. Would Mademoiselle perform better as far as crisping goes, and otherwise, is she comparable to Dee-Lish regarding disease resistance and winter hardiness? How about Michelangelo as an alternative to Dee-Lish?

Moses

Comments (8)

• 111plisa su
    last year

I have both, prefer SM. as deelish blooms look miserable in the heat. They both bloom well. SM does not last long. Roses that withstand 90+ temps, Zaide ( fantastic, prolific, healthy, vigorous), Beverly, munstead wood, poets wife, sol desire, lady Ashe, Florentina, grande Amore and Maurice utrillo. Every other rose turns crispy

• KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
    last year

Ah I wonder if I can call Heirloom to cancel my Dee-Lish order😅

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

This thread so reminds me why location is so important. I don’t have Sweet Madamoiselle but my Deelish is in full sun here and does great-no crisping.

However my full sun and others full sun are completely different situations

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    Original Author
    last year

KJ, your Mademoiselle is a beauty. Happy to know it is not a, 'crisper,' for you in CA, which would strongly suggest equal petal integrity here in Pittsburgh, PA. What's worst about my Dee-Lish dilemma is that I have four of them, and replacing them all at once would put a big gap in my one and only rose bed. I did notice from the beginning that my first D-L did petal crisp, but the bush otherwise proved to be black spot resistant and pretty vigorous....then there's the fragrance, wow! However now, the crisping is getting increasingly annoying.

111plisa su, Thanks for your input. Mademoiselle not lasting long, yikes! Dee-Lish looks miserable in the heat, double yikes!! Challenges, challenges!

Oursteelers, location is everything as you say. My micro climate garden is heat drenched, mercilessly hot, full sun from 10:00AM - 4:00PM, with partial shade a couple hours before and after this period. It is also nestled in between neighboring, heat retaining/radiating commercial buildings in a very old, gentrified neighborhood, my home, smack dab in the center of my block, being the only one left in my block, every other home has been converted to businesses/offices. Otherwise, Pittsburgh is not known for desert hot garden conditions.

Moses

• strawchicago z5
    last year

I have 2 Dee-lish and 1 Sweet M. as own-roots. The Dee-lish in partial shade does better than the Dee-lish in full-sun. Sweet M. is fantastic in partial shade (only 4 hrs. or morning sun), Sweet M. lasts longer in the vase than Dee-lish, so I suspect its thick petals would take hot sun better.

Munstead Wood crisps in full sun. I need to put sticky wet clay on Munstead Wood to UP its moisture-retention. Dee-lish's leaves are a bit more glossy than Sweet M, and my experience with glossy leaves: they are water-hogs and do better with soaking wet clay.

Below is the Dee-lish in partial shade (4 hrs. of sun), pic. taken in hot July:

Below is my 2nd Dee-lish in full sun in August. Its ability to handle full sun improves as it matured in its 8th-year.

Sweet M as 3rd year own-root took up more space than Savannah. Sweet M. is 6' x 4' in late fall. Sweet M. with dull leaves is more heat tolerant than both Savannah and Dee-lish (both have glossy leaves).

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Beware of Sweet M. as 3rd-year own-root: Color can be gaudy if high-phosphorus fertilizer is used. I stop using chicken manure after seeing its color changing from nice pink to gaudy orange. Below is nicer pink in my alkaline & dense clay:

Below is from chicken manure:

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    last year

@strawchicago z5 I agree with the color. I saw SM last year at a nursery. It was so gaudy that it almost looked like plastic flowers. But i heard a lot of good reviews here so i just got one recently. I have Deelish too but it is her first year so i cant comment yet. i saw deelish at our local rose garden last summer though. I remember the edges didnt burn but the flowers had significantly less petals. Our summer is close to 100F every day.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath