Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_56072313

Help! What do I do with my dining room?!

Caroline
last year

Please help! I have been searching for dining room furniture for over a year now and I just have no eye for these things. My main concern is that the room is dark. I like light and bright. The windows do not go directly to the outside, they go to the indoor pool so not much natural light really gets into the dining room. How do I brighten it up? Nothing that is currently in the room is staying, so it's a fresh start.

Comments (21)

• jck910
    last year

Can you add more ceiling lights? How about sconces on the window wall?

Some ideas ballarddesigns.com

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

a brighter paint color... a white with no undertones would be my choice.

drapery panels that hang on the outside of the window trim to add interest, but no light blocking.

Ambient light with additional table lamps, floor lamps, sconces if budge allows for installation.

A very light patterned area rug and lighter furniture, a painted sideboard, a mirror to help bounce light around the room, even a glass top table would make the room feel lighter.

Looks like a fun project, Have fun!

• gigi4321
    last year

First thing I would do is remove the chair rail. Even if it continues to other rooms. It's a bit of an odd shaped room. I'd try an oval or round table. I've always felt round dining tables to be awkward if only a few people are dining, but that I guess happens with any table. You could mock up an oval or round with some boxes as a base and cardboard top. And also mock up a rectangular table. See which ones look best.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

I always feel like dining rooms should be a little moody. But if you want light and bright, the only way to do that is fixtures. Get recessed light in there and a beautiful chandelier, then buy the furniture you love - light or dark.

There seems to be good light going into the pool area - what about making the window larger? Taller?

Good luck!

• kandrewspa
    last year

Definitely need to address the lighting, but even if the room ends up being darker than you might like dining rooms are usually used in the evening, so this is not necessarily a shortcoming in a dining room. Is this room seen everyday from another room you spend a lot of time in, or are you walking through it all the time to get to another room? Compile an Ideabook in Houzz of pictures you like to help get yourself unstuck.

Transitional Home · More Info

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Please do a floor plan and let us know how many people you need to seat on a regular basis. How much storage do you need for table linens, serving pieces, good China, etc?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Caroline could you give us a better idea of what your style direction is?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I can see the stone fireplace and a casual recliner in the attached space..so will this be a causal dining room or formal?

• Caroline
    Original Author
    last year

These are all fantastic ideas so far thank you all. My style is definitely modern and contemporary. I do like the style in the picture that kandrewspa posted. But I also like a little bit of uniqueness. I'd prefer a table that wasn't your average dining room table. I am also aiming to purchase a table that seats (or extends to seat) at least 8 people around 96". 

In terms of storage I don't like a lot of furniture so I was thinking just a table/chairs, perhaps a buffet table for storage of the china, and maybe replace the wine rack with a lighter color or paint the current one lighter.

The room has a step up but open pretty much to the rest of the downstairs. We walk past it to get to the kitchen many many times a day.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

First thing I would do is switch out the center canned light and replace with junction box for chandelier. Put it on separate switch with dimmer. Then remove chair rail (it’s traditional look). Then paint walls white. Envelope the room in white maybe slightly pink or peach to make a bit warmer and ladies complexions glow. Here are some contemporary tables. Some open some stationary. Can you post room dimensions! Especially length.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Does this appeal?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Opps

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I love black and white in contemporary settings. If you remove the chair moulding, you could paint trim around windows black for that accent. Then put super large art on right side wall. A rug might have to be custom sized for this space due to angles. You need at least 24” from table edge away from table for chairs to slide back and stay on rug. But that comes after table is decided upon. Not sure what budget you want to stay within so that would help.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/langford_dining_table_and_6_chairs/APG-D760-7P.html

This with the leafs installed, so the table is normally shorter.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Not seeing a dark room so we need more information. Natural light is really not a feature in any dinning room as they are mostly used evenings . My guess is once the sun goes down all those windows become black holes. You need to put beautiful window dressings as a top priority. Yes to more cans in the ceiling as well as a beautiful chandy over the table. Are you actually saying you don't want dark wood furniture? Seems like chrome and glass is an abundant choice these days.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Any thoughts on what has been posted?

• Jilly
    last year

I see a dining set in the other room, is it staying? If so, it would help to see that room, the kitchen, the other side of this room, etc. As it is, there’s no context. This room needs to flow with the surrounding rooms, since it’s so open and elevated.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would make it brighter and lighter by getting light furniture, rug, wall art, curtains... and couple nice chandeliers or long one.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year
    last modified: last year

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Idea board

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH