Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

For Oursteelers

Silas Marner has a strong scent. When it first bloomed in the spring I couldn’t detect any scent. It is on its second round of blooms which it is impressive on its own but the scent is nice and strong. Humidity is at 80% and that may help amplify scent. I do not have the best nose for describing scents but to me it is mostly old rose. I can’t say I smell the banana or any of the other stuff Austin describes.

We had some winds and the cane broke. This is a single cane

Comments (48)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Oh that is beautiful! Thank you Dianela! I am definitely getting that one this year. For some reason that one speaks to me so much more than Emily Bronte.

This season is just meh for me. Between the deer, the slugs and the incessant rain I just can’t seem to get motivated. And if you don’t go out regularly than the issues just multiply. Broken canes and stems on all plants, disease, holes in everything. Not to mention the weeds thrive in this weather…

Bah humbug. I am a grumpy Gus for sure🤦🏻‍♀️

dianela7analabama thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Diane Brakefield
    last year

Just sumptuous and yummy. That single cane makes a perfect bouquet.

Oursteelers, my sympathy--I know what you're talking about because it's ditto for here this awful spring. Diane

dianela7analabama thanked Diane Brakefield
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Oursteelers I also think I love this rose a lot more than Emily. I think it is the potential of being better than Olivia here and that’s saying a lot since she is one of the best Austin’s when it comes to health. I understand what you mean regarding the lack of motivation, all my roses are half destroyed with sawfly damage plugs Japanese beetles by now. I am not doing anything because I am no spray now. Honestly when I look around, it would be so much work to get it all looking nice I do not have the motivation to start. I am just taking care of one single bed and a few pots.

Diane I am impressed by how much this baby rose wants to bloom. I also love the shape and color of the bloom. What is going on this spring on your garden? Are you about to get some blooms?

• mmmm12COzone5
    last year

Gorgeous!!!

dianela7analabama thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

This is a real beauty. Such a delicate playful pink! Where is this one being sold?

dianela7analabama thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) Silas Marner is one of David Austin’s latest intro to the USA.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    last year

It looks gorgeous. Does it hold the petals well?

dianela7analabama thanked Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
  • Cuteleier Z6 KS
    last year

Love this soft pink color! Does it repeat well?

dianela7analabama thanked Cuteleier Z6 KS
  • rosecanadian
    last year

That is a lovely group of roses!! Wonderful. :)

Yeah...my roses are all new (mostly) and the ones that are from last year are still carrying the problems they had from 2021. I'm not all that impressed so far. LOL

dianela7analabama thanked rosecanadian
  • Cuteleier Z6 KS
    last year

@rosecanadian May I ask what problems? Thank you!

dianela7analabama thanked Cuteleier Z6 KS
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Cuteleier - Ugh. :) :) I had a mess with pH issues. I doubled the amount of alfalfa pellets that I usually put on in the spring. Then I added lime to counter that. Then I added more lime (not realizing that it takes a while to show a difference) and more lime and more lime...I'm talking maybe 5 cups/rose through the summer. I'm not kidding. Sigh. Then I added fertilizer for acid lovers. I was a mess with my OCD trying to fix the problems. Ugh...I really screwed up. And I lost all of my most favorite roses except one. Sigh.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a) it seems to hold the petals well for an Austin. I would not compare it to a good hybrid tea for base life but better than many austins.

@Cuteleier Z6 KS

this rose was planted as a brand new barerroot in March 2022. This is its secound flush in 3 months. I think repeat is excellent. The biggest thing for me so far is that it is Blackspot free. Many of my roses are fully defoliated already so it has great disease resistance so far.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Carol I am so sorry to read you had so many issue with your roses this year. It is super frustrating to work so hard and lose them. What kind of potting soil do you normally use? Have you considered just trying some regular miracle growth with some slow release fertilizer like Osmocote plus. I just fill up my pots with miracle growth and a month or so in I feed with Osmocote plus indoor and outdoor (it is supposed to have a lot of extra goodies in it also). I do not change PH in anyway and they seem to like it.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    last year

oursteelers 8B PNW, sorry to hear about all the crazy things going on in your climate...

rosecanadian, hope things straighten out for you too...

dianela7analabama thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Dianela - what an adorable and beautiful rose plonk!

Thanks, Jim

Actually things are much better this year. My old roses just have to get through the mess I made of them last year. :)

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Librarian your gorgeous Emily pictures are the only reason I dug up two of mine and planted them in another spot to give them another chance. Your Emily blooms are beautiful and if mine did half as well I would love them. To be honest the ones I moved**seem to like the new place and have nice new foliage. Fingers crossed 🤞 here.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Fingers crossed for your Emilies. 😊

I'm going to eagerly await for updates as your SM grows. It seems so wonderful!

dianela7analabama thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Librarian - oh my goodness!! Such beauty!! :) :) :)

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    last year

@rosecanadian I’m so happy to hear it’s getting better for you! It will get better and better!

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    last year

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw Your EB is beautiful! I love your flower arrangement!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Thanks, Cuteleier! :)

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    last year

This is a beautiful rose and a beautiful house.

dianela7analabama thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
  • Sarena Altman (7a Middle TN)
    last year

Ahh thank you so much for sharing! Your zone is extremely similar to mine so I always jump when I see your reviews. You’re the one who got me hooked on earth angel. :)

Silas Maner looks perfect! I was wondering how much sun do you have her in? I think she is my new pick over Saint Cecilia because Silas is just so healthy! I mean for a rose to be as healthy as Olivia is a huge feat!

happy gardening

sarena

dianela7analabama thanked Sarena Altman (7a Middle TN)
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Sarena. I am happy some of mu reviews help you. It is always challenging to grow roses in an area with a lot of blackspot. I have Silas Marner in all day sun.

last year

Right?! It’s super hard. Blackspot is mean. Very happy to hear Silas handles full sun! I keep hearing earth angel prefers afternoon shade so I’m trying to orchestrate a rose bed that has that for her. Do you grow queen of Sweden? I hear she resists blackspot!

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Sarena I have 4 earth Angel plants. 3 are own root and one is grafted from palatine. They are all in all day sun (from sunrise to sun down). I honestly think the afternoon shade is only required for very few roses here. I see it could be a larger problem with places with a lot of dry heat which we never have. All Kordes here are happy in full all day sun, specially earth Angel which can ball without enough sun.

I do grow Queen of Sweden. She is definitely more resistant to Blackspot than many other Austins (not remotely as healthy as Earth Angel), but grows well no spray and in full sun it keeps a lot of its foliage.

Queen of Sweeden. Shape is straight and Skinny like a hybrid tea.

Earth Angel in full spring bloom. Give her all day sun if you have it. Those petal packed blooms need all the energy they can possibly get

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@dianela7analabama

Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos of Silas Mariner, Queen of Sweden, and Earth Angel!!!

I have never seen Earth Angel soooooo lovely & big! My EA is 1/2 that size. Maybe I should make more room for her 3rd year to grow next season, ha, ha!

I just ordered Emily Bronte & Queen of Sweden, for good health reasons and love the photos of your Q of Sweden and….

Librarian’s Emily Bronte! Love her!!!! Pretty arrangement in the beautiful vase!

And….I ordered Eutacia Vye, hope she is ok…. needed a healthy peach.

And… now I would like Silas Marner!!!! Oh, your photos are the best and I need ”no spray roses!!!” If I order her, where would I put her???? Hmmmmmm……

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VrB5ptehmfg

Hamilton does an amazing you tube review of Silas Marner!!!! What a fabulous fruity scented high performance rose!!! 4 1/2-5 ” diameter blooms! He smelled currants, plums, apricots in it’s very strong scent. Also, it has many clustered blooms that repeat all the time all season long! It also has beautiful burgandy stems when blooming!!! And burgandy leaves.

Photo from his video…

Silas Marner

Ok, I just ordered Silas Marner for spring!!!! Thank you!

See the burgandy stems in the DA photo

dianela7analabama thanked KittyNYz6
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Dianela - SUCH beautiful roses!! I'm in awe of your rose bushes...they're huge and filled with blooms. :) :) Exquisite!

Kitty - that description of Silas Marner's fragrance...now I want one!! :) :)

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Carol, Watch the you tube video link above…..….. Hamilton makes Silas Marner irresistible! Yummy!

last year

Haha Kitty that Ben Hamilton video is the exact reason I went searching for Silas Maner! And then I saw this post and was so elated to hear how it does in my area!! He sure did make it sound irresistible.

Dianella I’m so thankful for hearing about your experience! I was racking my brain how to create shade for earth angel and I’m glad I don’t have to now! I always heard it got all crispy brown in the sun but yours sure doesn’t!

If your grafted earth angel is from Paletine, I presume it’s multiflora? How does that graft do here? I’m always worried to get a grafted rose and have to fight the graft. And I don’t want to let dr Huey get ahold of my soil 😅.

But does your grafted earth angel out perform your own roots?

I’m so happy to hear queen of Sweden can handle no spray! I’m in love with her cupped shape. Are there any others pink roses you have that do well? I know you recommend Olivia, Earth Angel, and now Silas! But would love to hear if you have any others? :) Also how is Silas doing now with end of year intense black spot upon us?

• rosecanadian
    last year

Kitty - I don't like to watch home made videos...they usually make me dizzy. :) But thanks. :)

• berrypiez6b
    last year

rosecanadian The videos with wiggly camera literally make me sick, I cannot stand it !

BUT Ben sits and speaks in a quiet British accent using flowery words of how enamored he is with his rose on the table in a voz ( vase in my crude speech ) . The rose is usually positioned so close to the camera , it gives the illusion of an enormous blossom. What I love is he covers the forbidden subject none of the nurseries will divulge, thorniness.

He does make a few reviews outside with noisy birds - those videos are irritating to me because I am hard of hearing, but I can forgive him since his reviews are so " very very" entertaining.

Because he is " absolutely smitten " with Silas Marner, I am persuaded.

dianela7analabama thanked berrypiez6b
  • KittyNYz6
    last year

@Sarena Altman (7a Middle TN)

Thank you! Love the Ben Hamilton videos!

Slias Marner is considered ”disease resistant-one of the better health DA roses.” That is a major reason I purchased it!!!! Look on DA website for search “BEST HEALTH,” roses and Silas Marner & others will come up. You can get an ”own root Earth Angel from Heirloom Roses.” Mine is a second year, blooms a lot. Started sending shoots up 5 ft this year….. will be more full next year!mmI have many pink DA tgat do well:

1. Heritage, very little BS, very hardy! non-stop bloomer.

2. Mayflower, no BS., many blooms

3. Harlow Carr, no BS., prolific blooms

4. Desdemona, no BS., prolific blooms

5. Eglantyne, no BS ( A favorite!) Beautiful gorgeous blooms!!!

6. Anne Boleyn, blooms profusely, has BS-needs sorayed. It’s blloms are amazingly abundant!

7. Princess Alexandria of Kent, biggest blooms, most fragrant, blooms prolifcally the most, has BS, needs sprayed.

8. Queen Elizabeth, BS in fall only, needs sprayed

9. Princess Anne, no BS, excellent bloomer!!!

I ordered: Emily Bronte, Queen of Sweden, Roalde Dahl (golden) , Silas Marner, Eustacia Vye-all supposed to be good health-disease resistant-better resistant than other DAs! Spirit of Freedom is another no BS one I will be ordering!

10. Olivia , no BS

11. Mary Rose, has mild BS, She only had it this year for me, but sprayed.

12. Strawberry Hill, only littlecBS in fall

13. James Galway, no BS

There are a few other DA that are no BS, good healthy such as Scarborough Fair, The Generous Gardner, Claire Austin (yellow-pink)……& look at his website to see more….

Carol, Hamiltons videos are wonderful! He’s has these amazing roses he shows from his home lodge…. pretty setting…. he’s so enjoyable to watch….could be his English accent….. he shows his roses in vases and close up”-they do look huge blooms! I fall in love with every rose he shows, , but esp Silas Marner & Jubilee Celebration!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Kitty - you and Ben need to do reviews together.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Berry, Thank you, Lol Love DAs!!!!!!

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

Sarena my Silas got some blackspot around August and lost some foliage but recovered fast and bloomed very well. I will take a picture tomorrow again and see how it is doing. I think it has some blackspot again, but that is not unusual at this time a year. Mine is also in a pot where it is more difficult to keep it well watered. It would do a lot better in the ground.

Earth Angel grafted on multiflora outperformed my own root earth angels by blooming and reblooming the first year. My own roots took 3 years or 4 for good rebloom. Also I assumed you knew but you may not. I have 3 earth angels planted in a triangle configuration in that area I showed, I keep them pruned to 8 feet wide together.

My best pink rose (deep pink) is Flamenco Rosita. Perfect health (I mean perfect until front zero foliage loss) and constant rebloom. The color may be too deep for many who prefers the light pinks, but it is seriously my top performer.

My other excellent for health pinks are all Kordes and they are slower to rebloom: summer romance and pomponella.

Excellent health: Peggy Martin

Very good health: Spirit of freedom.

This is my grafted earth angel during the spring after a year in the ground. single plant visible. The own root ones didnt even bloom the first year

One cane on flamenco rosita

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@dianela7analabama

@Serena A

Own roots are 1-2 years when purchased and grafted are 2 yrs+. . Tfat is one reason own-root roses take longer to grow. Eventually own-roots will catch up with the older grafted rose in performance.

Dianela, We both have all the same roses above, Lol

My Earth Angel had a few beautiful blooms and couple 5ft canes first year. Second year it had a few flushes of 20-30 roses. It’s easily 5 ft many canes now. We will see how it performs 3rd year next season.

My Flamenco Rosita, a fushia, no BS, easy prolific bloomer and performer, hardy! Very big easily, own root.

My Parfuma Summer Romance first yr own root-had a showy clusters of nice flushes-gorgeous!!!!!!!!, but second year had 30+ blooms in flush-both years 5 ft- canes!!!!! Slow to rebloom, but one of my favorites-gorgeous shaped big blooms & fragrance.

My Pomponella -fushia , EVER BLOOMER!!!!!! Own root-from Antique Rose Emporium. Delivered in late summer , so had a couple months to grow first year w/ tall robust canes, couple blooms. Second year-last season-grew 6 feet wide and 5 ft tall-VERY BIG NOW!!!!! It’s a climber, could be maybe 6-8ft+. It has cluster blooms all the time-It’s 37F tonight and it still has 30 blooms on it at least. 3rd year next season should be spectacular hundreds of blooms all over!!!!

5ft tall, slowing blooms this week in 37F at night. Actually need another photo as it has more clustered blooms today.

About 22 blooms in one cluster/30 in this photo…..

It just has huge clusters of roses all the time! 2nd year, own-root. I expect 3rd year to have hundreds of blooms frequently! Maybe I should order another…. it will have more blooms than any of my roses constantly!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Woweezowee !

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

For anyone having trouble with reblooming or crazy blooms only at the top of tall canes on Summer Romance:

I had a huge SR that climbed 12+ft up our dwarf mulberry tree at the old house. I chopped its roots extemely severely and crammed it into a 3 gal pot to move it to the new place. I cut it down to about 4ft tall and whacked off all its side canes that were as big as broomsticks.

I thought I had surely killed it! Well, nope, it grew back to about 5 ft and made several laterals & bloomed all over like crazy in several flushes. So try just cutting it way way back and see what happens!

dianela7analabama thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Sultry, I love helpful info like this. Thank you!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

A reminder….. this thread was about Silas Marner.Lol! Well, I guess we diverged a little.

Silas Marner will be a gorgeous rose this coming spring! THANK YOU! I am looking forward to seeing her in my gardens! This tgread is what influenced me to order her!!! She’s goibg to be a REAL WINNER!!!!!!!! LOVE DA roses!!!!

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) But I think it’s amazing S Romance couod grow 12,ft. She grows 5 ft. for me . Pruning her back does insure gorgeous flushes!!! I have 2 of her -I just love this rose!!!! Thank you for posting! Your Florida sun probably encourages amazing growth!

• rosecanadian
    last year

You're all right! It was a good video to watch! He moved his arms/flowers a bit much...but I could listen without looking too much. :) :) Talk about a beautiful rose!! Oh my goodness!! This rose was not on my radar at all...but WOWZA!

Dianela - such fabulous bloomers!!! It's hard for me to imagine such bounty!!! Stunners!

Kitty - yours are uber-bloomers too!! I'm AMAZED!!! My heavens!! :) :)

Now I want a Silas Marnes rose!!! :)

• berrypiez6b
    last year

rosecanadian it's been awhile since I enabled ;

David Austin's site says Silas Marner Zones 4 - 11

• Ang NC_7B
    last year

Resurrecting this thread because I love talking about Silas Marner!

I'm in my second spring with it. Of course I haven't had a bloom yet for 2023, but it's already pushed out so many leaves and I'm fully expecting it to be one of my early bloomers. We had a few really warm weeks at the end of February and into the beginning of March, followed by a freeze snap, so everything that went crazy with growth is suffering the consequences now. Time will tell how badly it impacts everything.

Mine is a STRETCHER. I ended up putting an obelisk over and I think it's really going to help this year. Those canes just went a bit wild by the end of the summer last year, so if you're hoping for a more compact plant I don't think this is the one. I have SM planted right by Olivia Austin, who stays bushy and shrub-like, and they both are in full sun all day.

I can't wait for blooms soon, SM's fragrance is extraordinary! I don't have anything that smells like this one. To my nose I smell waterlily, apricot, banana, and old rose. It's heaven!

SM stayed extremely healthy all year last year, but did black spot on the bottom at the beginning of autumn. Not badly though, and we tend to get lots of blackspot in my neck of the woods, so I would consider it a huge win.

Here are some photos from last year's blooms and one photo from today after I stuck an obelisk around it.

dianela7analabama thanked Ang NC_7B
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Holy crap. I WAS not planning on Silas being so big and wide…. I’m gonna need to do some rethinking

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last year

@Ang NC7b

I also really liked my Silas Marner last year so this year I moved him to the ground. It seems your Silas wants to be a large shrub or small climber. It will look amazing on that structure.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Ang - I looove your description of Silas Marner!!! Darn...I hate stretchy/floppy roses. But that fragrance...me want. :) :) Dang, I'm glad it's not available here. LOL