Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girrlguide

Help! Exterior paint color needed ASAP!!

girrlguide
last year
last modified: last year

Yikes, the painters are here and I'm still undecided. As evident, most of the shutters have been taken down... I think I'm going to leave them off, agreed?

I've thrown up some options on the front, all Benjamin Moore: Sussex Green, Aegean Olive, Deep Creek. House gets a LOT of sun, and is at top of crest on street, so prominent. I'd like a color that blends with the environment, is happy but not boisterous... organic with its surroundings. Needs to be BM paint. I was leaning with Sussex Green, but painter thinks it will be too green... look like a "green fortress."

Front deck, which you can't really see, is mahogany. Houses across the street are same style, and beige. All suggestions welcome, but if you know of a green that is still subtle and would blend in, that's welcome too!

Thanks... looking at the creekside green and october mist as options... here's a closer pic... (from veg. garden excuse the tomato support rope)... the top window colors are aegean olive, deep creek and sussex green.

Also, what are thoughts on Horizon Gray... is that a warm gray?

Comments (33)

• nickel_kg
    last year

BM Creekside Green. And yes, no shutters necessary :-)

girrlguide thanked nickel_kg
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

It is hard to tell from the single distance shot, but I think those 3 are all too dark. I would look at BM October Mist - a medium gray-green that would be pretty with several choices of front door color (blues, deep red, forest green for examples).

Raintree Green is similar, perhaps a touch more gray.

Your house style traditionally would have had shutters, but I do think leaving them off will look less crowded and is a good call.

girrlguide thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • kandrewspa
    last year

Another vote for October Mist. I think Creekside Green is too dark. October Mist has an LRV of 46, so it's not exactly light. It has more subtlety than Creekside Green which strikes me as the green in camoflage.

girrlguide thanked kandrewspa
  • Lynzy
    last year

I’m going to buck the trend here and say that you need something that contrasts a bit with all the green around your house. I’d do a deep very grayed-down green if you’re committed to green tones. BM River Rock????

girrlguide thanked Lynzy
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

Your house would wear Martha Stewart's Bedford Gray well. Benjamin Moore's Northern Cliffs 1536 is a very close match to the MS color.

girrlguide thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all the feedback so far! I did run out and get October mist, and put it up... but I feel it's too minty green, too bubble-gummy, maybe? I'm looking at soft fern, or Nantucket Gray, which is the softer version of Sussex Green, Sussex Green I do feel is too military-feeling (hence my painter's comment that it would look like a green fortress), but maybe Nantucket Gray would work?

The River Rock suggestion is interesting... I love a deep color, but our house is on the top of the hill of a road that curves, on a promontory, with SUN, worry it would call too much attention to the house.

The Northern Cliffs color is nice... and safe. It is also pretty much the color of the house across from us, and beside the house across from us.

Very grateful to all who have contributed, and open to any more thoughts!!!

• kandrewspa
    last year

I used Nantucket Gray on my last house and liked it. This house was on a lot with lots of trees. It is more green than gray despite the color name as you have probably noticed. It is not too dark, not too light.

girrlguide thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

I like October Mist BM-color of 2022. What about another color of 2022 as Evergreen Fog SW

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

I'm wondering if I depart from green and go tan instead. Even though that's what the neighbors have. I think, with the trees and garden, trying to blend with green might not be the way to go... maybe a tan/gray counterpoint is better?

• kandrewspa
    last year

There are a lot of good choices in BM's Historic Colors.

• cat_ky
    last year

I like the phillipsburg blue posted above. You have enough greenery and green look there, I would stay away from a green on the house. Even the Jamestown blue, would be a better option.

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

I'm sure I'm exhausting, sorry. That is a beautiful blue, and the color of my neighbor's house next to me. What would you think of a greige?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

You actually have a nice existing color. May be just refresh it?

Some option I like is here

Dilworth Historic District Craftsman · More Info

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

I am now thinking of going in the direction of the current color... my husband got rid of the cans 2 years ago, and we didn't record the color. We bought the house 12 years ago, four young kids, upside down and unorganized.

I like that house color you propose, although I think to fit in with surroundings, maybe something less steel gray and more beige would be better. Thank you. So humbled by this experience. Still happy to hear people's thoughts... blown away by this amazing community.

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

I'm thinking that with the natural greenery, coloring the house green might make it look like it's trying too hard to fit in. I have some natural stonework at the very front of the garden... maybe match a beige/tan in that family of colors.

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

I still love the deep creek color, but am worried that for this house, sun, top of hill... dark might be too much.

• houssaon
    last year

Dark color tends to fade. Although BM is tested for that.

I like Horizon Gray. I have it on my house. It looks more green when surrounded by greenery.

• chloebud
    last year

Really like the looks of Coastline, Simply White and Hale Navy. Second would be Storm, White Dove and Narragansett Green. Nicely done, houssaon!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Jefferson · More Info

This is my office, SW Bunglehouse Grey with BM linen white trim (I know you said stick with BM but I assure you BM will have the formula)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

it's too minty green,

that shows the wisdom of getting samples! I would never have expected that from the internet swatch. Although we need to keep in mind that the color it is tested on and against, and colors reflecting onto it (like trees or an adjacent house) will affect how it looks.

If everyone else is shades of beige, I would vote for a calm, medium gray-blue.

I also really like the kangaroo pictured above. There is a house in my town, on the national historic register, that is in a color quite similar and which I've always liked. (ETA: on second thought, I don't care for it with your gray roof. Better to stick with Blue-gray, Green-gray, Gray-blue, Gray-green IMO. Or dark red)

But, if you love Deep Creek, (and in the closer shot it doesn't seem so dark) go for it- or perhaps you could find the same shade just a bit lighter? For example, I found that my Behr Navajo White, has a paler version in Cottage White - BTW they don't appear together on the sample cards in the store.

• barncatz
    last year

Well, we all like blue but OP's next door neighbor's house is blue. I think @houssaon, as usual, has some really nice schemes.

I'm going to throw a curveball. Have you considered white - maybe Ben Moore's Marine White which has a brown lean? Then wrap your porch columns in cedar boards to make them larger and stain them or paint them white.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

I still love the deep creek color, but am worried that for this house, sun, top of hill... dark might be too much.

It's smart to consider all of that. Investing in the very top grade of exterior paint can help.

You do want to make sure that everything you want painted can be painted a dark color. Deep Creek has a LRV of 13 - 14.7. (Depends on where you pull the LRV # from Benjamin Moore).

This is actually a proper application for LRV, Light Reflectance Value.

So many on the interwebs have incorrectly turned LRV into a 'kitchen sink' color data point.

LRV's one and only job is to tell you how much light/light energy a color will reflect and conversely absorb.

Read this blog post about LRV.

You want to make sure painting a dark color like Deep Creek isn't going to be too dark from a functional, not just aesthetic point of view.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

great house. I think tan is a horrible choice! sorry, but with all that beautiful greenery and foilage, painting it tan wouldn't look right. (especially w/your color roof)

If you did more of a warm gray and addded in some shake/shingles, along w/your siding, I think that would look a lot better. love the orange door w/this too.

if you like the green grays, have you tried any of these w/a crisp white?

I also don't care for a depressing gray shade, unless you're doing another color w/the trim/doors/windows.

what about a blue or blue gray?

I like this combo that Celery listed:

I like this one too (I believe it's Grizzle Gray paired w/a crisp white trim and a warmer red accent)

I belive the key is doing a bright white trim w/whatever color you choose. the current creamier trim color you have looks dull.

Personally I like the darker colors that match the greenery. I don't think they stand out (and if they do, in a good way, who cares?)

I think either of these w/some

wood accents, would look amazing w/your green landscaping

girrlguide thanked Beth H. :
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

Don't forget about the backdrop of autumn colors; you want something with appeal in front of green and warmer fall colors. Of course, white is always safe on a traditionally styled home.

• Debbie Downer
    last year

OP need to be painting much larger squares of color on a piece of plywood or something - at least 4 x 4 - and be moving them around to different parts of the house, different times of day and under different light. People are making these judgements based on 1 small picture of tiny 12 inch squares painted on your house and viewed on a computer screen which may or may not be accurate. And you hve to consider we all come at this with our own biasses and preferences too,.. me, I think dark houses are sexy so of course Im going to be nudging you in that direction.

I dont like super-dark, super-saturated color on a house though so I went to look up Deep Creek and was pleasantly surprised- it really is an intriguing and lovely color - a brown but with enough gray and green in it to keep it interesting - and at least in the pics it does not look too dark. Browns and greens famously tend to go together well, maybe because that's what we see in nature.

\But them again - gotta test large samples and see for yourself!

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

houssaon, is that first house yours in horizon gray? I like it! White is interesting, I don't think so, though. Nice office colors, too! I'm definitely drawn to the greys with the green undertone. I'm going to choose top three of the following to sample, and then force myself to decide: Nantucket Gray, Horizon Gray, Sag Harbor Gray, Copley Gray, Sandy Hook Gray. Any thoughts on those?

Thank you so much for all your time and consideration... incredibly helpful!!

• chispa
    last year

I was also going to suggest BM Nantucket Gray. We painted the house we owned 20 years ago in that color and used BM Moonlight White for the trim.

girrlguide thanked chispa
  • girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all! Lori, yes to so much of what you said... esp. the need for a crisp white regardless! btw, the house wasn't tan to begin with... it's faded to almost a yellow.

When you said you didn't think a sombre gray would work, do you think BM Horizon Gray is sombre? Do you think that would work?

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

Wow. Lori's link re LRV was great. The Deep Creek at 13 - 14.7 with the light exposure we get is a dealbreaker... it will absorb so much more heat. Debbie Downer... I think given the scale and light exposure sexy dark that complements the greenery may not be the best choice.

I just drove around and looked at houses, and think green is not good... with our greenery I think green painted house will clash with the real greens.

We don't have the budget to do more to the house than painting it... so I can't wrap my columns in cedar and paint white.

Beth, I like the Briarwood, I think. I will have to get it tomorrow, but someone did say they think tan would look horrible, and Briarwood might be tan-ish? Can't do orange or red door... can't do anything in red family... not a red paint person.

If anyone has stuck with me on this, please weigh in. Thank you.

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

Hi, I ended up getting Copley Gray, putting it up as a sample, and it turns out it's exactly the color of my closest visually neighbor, across the street.

Even though next door neighbor is blue, there's a ton of space between us, and they are at bottom of hill, so the houses aren't close visually at all... so I've decided on a gray-blue. Digging back into this thread to pick up the blues already suggested, also looking at: Nimbus Gray and Normandy. Thoughts welcome....?

• wjtnej
    last year

@girrlguide What color did you end up choosing?

• girrlguide
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for asking!

Storm Cloud Gray, Benjamin Moore, with Winter White trim. Happy with it, and grateful for all the input on this site. Believe it or not, thought, still haven't had the doors painted... another site recommended a taupe or tan, one suggested color was Peanut shell... but I'm not sure... was thinking maybe a navy or dark grey?