Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_375103382

Is it dangerous to use a slide in range as free standing range?

Jaime McLean
last year
last modified: last year

We are doing renovations to our kitchen but our cabinets will not be installed for some time. However, we want to purchase our appliances now and do not have the space to store them. We will have to swap them for our current applances right now and just shift them around later. I know a slide in range needs panels/cabients on the side because theya re unfinished and will not look good. But are they dangerous to use this way? Can I temporarily use the range until my kitchen is 100% finished?

I would appreciate any insight anyone has on this issue.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

Can you post your make and model #? Some are universal and can be either or. But there are still some true slide-ins where you absolutely need cabinets/tops on both sides to install. Check the specs manual...all sorts of information to gain there.

Jaime McLean thanked The Kitchen Place
  • wdccruise
    last year

I looked at the installation instructions for my LG LSE4617ST slide-in induction range. There are some location requirements (page 13) but the instructions state repeatedly that one must use the anti-tip bracket to prevent the range from tipping forward. I'd read the installation instructions for your appliance before deciding...or wait and buy the appliance later (which may be a good idea as production and supply problems have reduced appliance availability and raised prices).

Jaime McLean thanked wdccruise
  • Jaime McLean
    Original Author
    last year

Thank You for your replies. Our range is LG Model LSEL6333. It does state that the anti tip is required and I think this wont be a problem to reinstall after the cabinets are finished. I imagine it might be like remodelling a kitchen but keeping the same appliances. It does not say anything or provide cautions about the absolute necessity of having a panel covering for safety reasons.

If it is just about appearance I can live with it for a few months.

• wdccruise
    last year

"Our range is LG Model LSEL6333"

Just make sure that the electrical outlet is in the area required by the new range. The outlet was too high on the wall and I had to lower it to allow the new LG induction range to be pushed as close to the wall as possible.

Jaime McLean thanked wdccruise
  • Jaime McLean
    Original Author
    last year

@The Kitchen Place - I am from SW Ontario, Canada!

• Jaime McLean
    Original Author
    last year

@wdccruise - thanks for the advice!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

Jaime, that's crazy!!! What is considered SW Ontario? Windsor? Kenora? My Ontario roots are around Collingwood, Grey County, Ontario. My parents were from Gladstone and Plumas Manitoba. :-) They immigrated to the states in 1962 (Dayton Ohio area). We might be distant cousins! :-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

As for the use of the range I actully do not like slide in ranges and much prefer a free standing . When time comes to replace they are pretty standard in size .I do agree you need to make sure the range you choose allows what you are planning . Good on you for thinking ahead since appliance availability is still a bit all over the place . Since this is new to you make sure you do not get caught up in the whole allpiances from one maker buy ones that work for how you cook and IMO always choose plain old stainless