Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_216451380

small tricky bathroom

Hi, I am redoing a tricky bathroom on my second floor and am looking for ideas.

for context, this is a 3 bedroom house, and all 3 bedrooms (all an this second floor) share this 1 bathroom. we are 2 adults with 3 very young kids / babies, so cannot give up the tub.

Currently

* Bathroom looks like this plan attached

* There is a freestanding tub (bath only, not walled in)

* There is a also a shower that is 2 steps up due to the stairs that run underneath it - it cannot be the same level as the rest of the bathroom.

* The sink / vanity is 27 inches.

* Pretty much zero storage space for toiletries or towels in the bathroom.

What I want from the redesign

* Storage for bath toys, toiletries, towels

* Maintain light from window and open-type feel

Idea I have. Wall in the tub and turn it into a shower/bath, then turn the shower into a nice-sized closet. However, I am concerned that adding a wall would block out the light from the window and make the bathroom feel very small.

Would GREATLY appreciate any ideas or thoughts :) :)

Comments (8)

• Jeffrey Bothemer
    Original Author
    last year

Photos of bathroom

• artemis78
    last year
    last modified: last year

How long is the wall the tub is on, and how deep is the shower?

We have a very similar layout and what looks like a similar size (ours is 8' x almost 6') except without the separate shower. Our tub/shower is opposite the toilet (which doesn't work since there isn't enough clearance, but it's an old house and that's where a freestanding tub was when the house was built so they just kept it there over the years). Next to it, we have a floor-to-ceiling 36" wide cabinet that was added in the 1950s. If I could remodel ours, I'd flip these and put the tub/shower where your tub is and the cabinet where your shower is. Would something like that work, if you essentially built out your shower like a recessed cabinet where the lowest drawer or door was set up off the floor the height of the two steps? (And no steps--just drywall or trim there.) We have a partial wall that steps down to a knee wall between our cabinet and tub, though I don't love that setup and would prefer a curved corner tub--not sure they make those anymore, though (and they are more of a pain for shower curtains, so there's a tradeoff for keeping the natural light).

Here's an old photo of how they handled the wall to be able to use an alcove tub--it's not a great solution, but it does make the room feel more open because it isn't a full-height wall there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Change the door swing TOWARD the tub Buy a vanity to replace the pedestal sink. Hang a net in tub for tubby time bath toys, Buy a hotel style rack for over the toilet, fold up the towels. Use hooks on the back of the bath door.

You have ONE bath,, and nowhere to bathe during a gut : ) Where do five people go during an extensive remodel?

Better ideas will come from a drawing and the ACTUAL dimensions for everything. walls, window all of it.

• Jennifer K
    last year

This might work, depending on measurements and whether the steps in your bath can be levelled. It gets you a closet; a slightly private toilet; light. It requires moving the door, sink and tub. And it requires a custom vanity so that the vanity looks like it goes to the floor even though it stops to make room for the stairs underneath. I've also assumed that you have convenient access to the backside of the current shower, such that storage would be a viable replacement.

• Jeffrey Bothemer
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone for the AWESOME ideas!!! You all are the best!!

Does anyone think there is any value in having a standalone tub plus shower? Wondering if I should even consider options where we keep both.

I’ll get actual dimensions soon 😀

• artemis78
    last year

I wouldn't keep both unless you frequently use them both at the same time. In a bath that size, it's not worth the floor space IMO (especially if you already feel there isn't enough storage).

• mainenell
    last year

I would not keep both shower and bath. I would get a 32” wide tub if it fits easily to give more elbow space when showering and then use a shower curtain that is installed an inch or two outside the edge of the tub to grab even more elbow space. With a decorative shower curtain on a double ring with separate liner it looks very nice.

• trendtown
    last year

@Jennifer K your idea/layout is really great!