Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_72899892

Does anyone have experience teaching English to adults?

User
last year

ESL or ELL, specifically? I am considering a volunteer opportunity and would like to hear about the experiences of others who have worked in any setting to teach English to adult second-language learners.

Comments (12)

• party_music50
    last year

I don’t have personal experience but I knew someone who lived in various large US cities, and particularly in Japan, and taught ESL for a living for several years. She told me that the idea was to just interact and speak naturally about everyday common things. Unfortunately she is no longer with us so I cannot ask more. I would jump at the opportunity to teach ESL.

User thanked party_music50
  • jojoco
    last year

I did it for a few months when I first moved to philly. I was matched with a 30- something woman from India. She was wonderful. It was a big time commitment (I think 90 min twice a week) and more structured than I wanted (workbooks, etc ). my studenr’s english was already very decent. I would have preferred a conversation hour instead. i stopped because longwood hired me.

User thanked jojoco
  • localeater
    last year

Before we moved out of their service area, my husband volunteered to Midcoast Literacy. This is their website that explains their programs, https://www.midcoastliteracy.org/ He could have been connected with an adult or a child as a tutor, he ended up with a child and tutored him for several years.

I actually encouraged him to volunteer with a literacy program as the need is so strong. Many years ago I worked with Head Start with pre-K children to ensure they would be ready for K, lots of phonics and letter recognition. I loved it.

User thanked localeater
  • eld6161
    last year

I only know of a few young people who taught abroad. These are paid positions.

Some countries were quite lucrative.

Ida, I think you will be really good at this. Keep us posted!

User thanked eld6161
  • bpath
    last year
    last modified: last year

I actually got a degree in ESL in Denton, Ida. For my student teaching, I chose the option to work a few weeks in a variety of settings in elementary schools and the university. Very different experiences! Life intervened, and I went into techical writing instead. And my adult students were probably very different from the people you would be working with, having mostly already passed the TOEFL (as it was known then) and just needing more advanced work on the subtleties.

I know you’ll be good at it, and enjoy it! One thing: pay attention to their interest level. Not just how motiviated they are, but what od they like to learn. Some people like to know the whys and wherefores of a word or construction, to know the connection to their own language, and it helps them learn and apply what they learn to other concepts. Some people really like rote learning. Conversations and phrases they can use, help. Songs help a lot! The repetition and rhythm help make phrases ”stick” and get used more smoothly. But, you might be using a set program, it all depends. But you can usually adjust your teaching style within the program.

A big question: are they literate in their own language, and is their writing system similar to ours, largely sound-based? Literacy in their own language helps them a lot.

User thanked bpath
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, all! I knew there would be some here with experience and helpful input. I'm encouraged by what I am learning about this particular program, and I will attend a workshop soon to glean more details. This is a collaboration between two local organizations, and the Cambridge University Ventures curriculum is used. The program also endeavors to help refugees and immigrants understand cultural matters that may be completely unfamiliar to them. Not sure yet where the students will be from, but likely some or most will come from Africa. We have a fairly sizable population from the DRC in our area.

• jane__ny
    last year

I volunteered many years ago, 1986, at our local library in NY.

Most students were adults, Spanish. The library only had adults who needed to learn some English to get work.

I went twice a week and enjoyed it immensely. Most of the women were looking to work as cleaning women. The men looking to get labor jobs.

The library gave materials geared for what work they wanted to get. There were picture books showing a woman vacuuming, or washing dishes. Books for laborers were showing men shoveling or painting.

The lessons were geared to helping them speak, apply for jobs, fill out applications and following directions from employer.

What I found was, these were highly motivated people who desperately wanted to learn English. They needed work. I found they learned quite fast, they brought bills they would receive and we would work on understanding what it said.

It took time, the people were so nice and motivated. I enjoyed the time I spent with them. Not sure they still do things the same way. But, I was impressed at how quickly they learned.

I would recommend it for everyone. It is so fulfilling.

Jane

User thanked jane__ny
  • maire_cate
    last year

One of my girlfriends has been doing this for a few years and always speaks positively about her experience. Unfortunately due to Covid she hasn't volunteered but is hoping to start again next summer.

But it's not the usual basic ESL program but I think it's really interesting. She is a retired teacher and is matched up with another adult who is here in the states for anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks and then will return to their own country. My friend works with them to improve their speaking and understanding skills especially in a social setting. They go to various stores, restaurants, or cultural events where the 'student' has to navigate purchases, ordering from menus or just asking questions. My friend usually works with them 2 or 3 times a week for a month and then some return home and others travel. Quite a few have been sent here by their corporations and when they return will work in departments that deal primarily with the US.

User thanked maire_cate
  • daisychain Zn3b
    last year

This was my DH's first job. He loved it. We would often host his students at our home and met some of the nicest, most intelligent, and generous people from around the world. We had standing invites from many of these friends to visit them or their families in their home countries.

I love sea sea's DD;s use of Karate Kid. I teach little kids and have had EAL students. My favourite way to get them talking and involved is to have them teach the rest of the class a game. Lots of laughs and fun.

User thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Jilly
    last year

Ida, this sounds amazing. You’re perfect for this.

Proud of you, friend!

User thanked Jilly
  • Bestyears
    last year

I taught at our local community college for a few years, on a small campus dedicated to ESL and GED-prep. It was the most rewarding teaching I've ever done. I taught GED prep, and we had six or seven ESL teachers who taught beginning ESL up to advanced. Year after year, I watched those students progress, and every year it felt like a miraculous process. I have no way of knowing if it was typical or not, but we were continuously humbled by our student's generosity and the way they created a sense of community among all the classes. Our teachers used workbooks and techniques they had developed over the years like singing responses, etc.

User thanked Bestyears