Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_981729112

urgent! help new builder home

Khine Hnin
last year

Hi everyone! I am having my house built & I desperately need help picking an exterior paint color. It wasn’t in the plans, but now I have to choose one, — and fast!!

I included attachments of the stones I picked out, the bricks & the current state of the house.

The stones will go up 4 feet from the bottom. I don’t know what paint color will go good with the colors of my choosing. I originally thought blue but I was informed my neighbor’s house is blue & I’d like to be different.

Also, what color trim would go well with the paint? I would love to get some insight!

Comments (75)

• cpartist
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think the brick, stone and features are fine!

Everyone, (including us) are entitled to our opinions.)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I know here, you take what the builder, owner of the subdivision has. There are a few select plans to choose from and you get to select the colors from his picks. You are not allowed any major changes. Take it or leave it. You don't like it, they can sell to anyone of a hundred or more buyers for more money. You are lucky to get something other than an apartment.

Forget about buying an existing house, the out of state investors have scarfed those up. We could sell our house for ten times what we paid for it and four or five times what it was worth a couple of years ago, , but we could not replace it with anything we could afford anywhere in this area.

The OP's problem was, as stated in the original post, she picked the colors of brick and stone. She also picked blue for the painted parts, but was informed that the house next door was going to be blue. She asked, "What other color paint would look good?"

Most "PRO'S" wanted her to rebuild the house. None of the builders here would even consider changing anything. You pick the best you have to choose from.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are not helping and you are not answering the question.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Sherry! I have written up a response many times but erased it because it is not worth my time explaining my situation.

I also found that houses are built differently from where they are located so if you guys are thinking this is odd or that is too much, it’s not here where this house is. I appreciate everyone’s time responding & I finally picked out the paint color
    :)

• Snaggy
    last year

@Khine Hnin.. bet your glad you asked now !

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

@Snaggy, it was interesting. I thought there would be more suggestions instead of criticism.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Khine Hnin, Did you go with the olive color?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I once had a woman come to me and asked what color to paint her dog. I told her that her dog is dead. She told me that I did not answer her question, all she wants to know is what paint color?

I should have told her that it does not matter what color you paint a dead dog.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

Did you find some kind of correlation between a dead dog & painting a house? 😂

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Mark, the vast majority of us cannot afford your houses. We do the best we can. Sorry we cannot come up to your exalted level. Maybe once in a while walk with the masses.

Khine's house is a very nice version of a country look without being over the top Waco.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Mark, if we win the lottery and can buy the private island, the mountain home, the lake home, and the castle in Europe, I'll contact you. And maybe the house on the beach in California. Otherwise, I am happy with my little builder house with all the stuff you don't like.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"We do the best we can."

Most people do not know what their best is, until they are challenged; then they are often surprise by what they can do. I am not here to encourage mediocre, and I do not think anyone comes here to receive mediocre. Maybe people post here what they think is the best they can do, but know there is better.

Here is a quote by Bernard Maybeck, responding to a question about what he wants the Palace of Fine Arts say to those that see it:

"There is something bigger and better and more worthwhile than the things we see about us, the things we live by and strive for. There is an Undiscovered Beauty, a Divine Excellence just beyond us. Let us stand on tiptoe, forgetting the meaner things, and grasp of it what we may."

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I still will never be able to afford your houses, cannot you step down and help the rest of us, or is that too much to ask? Are you so on top of the pinnacle, that you cannot help anyone else? If so, I am so sorry for you, that you only see the stars and cannot look at the ground, because the ground is where you see the flowers.....

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

What are you judging me by? You obviously have not a clue of the scope of work I do, yet you judge me to be someone I am not.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

Mark she isn’t judging you. She’s just saying I asked for a paint color. Instead, you criticized my house instead of providing any helpful insight. You suggesting changes beyond my control & you didn’t stop even when it’s been made clear that I am way too far along for foundational changes.

• Marie J.
    last year

@Khine Hnin I’m sorry you didnt get the help you asked for. I often wonder how Pros have so much free time to spend on this site.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I have been on Garden Web since it was a nice, helpful site with real people. Good comments. Not everyone agreed, but they were always nice and very helpful. You got a lot of input of different ideas. Now, it is a lot of snotty, I'm better than you junk.

• User
    last year

It’s a lot of reverse snobbism, where if you have taste and the ability to afford good design, you should somehow feel guilty for not creating a badly designed pirates of the carribean theme park house overloaded with clichés.

It’s the worst type of hypocrisy to criticize suggestions towards good design on a design site.

BTW, removing the overfluff should actually be cheaper than the cladding overload explosion. It’s always a win/win when better design is less expensive. And, it very often is, in the long run.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Good luck with your house.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

This always makes me laugh

" I often wonder how Pros have so much free time to spend on this site".

Most pros spend more hours in a week WORKING than the average soul with three darn jobs! Many of us work from home , and you may find us up at four am, or still at a desk at eight pm...or on Sunday while you're at the beach. Texts from clients/contractors often come with no regard for the day of the week, nor the time of day.

The point is...if someone got help, good advice? Averted a mistake? Got a better result? Why would you care, or snark? Think about that, as you may notice at least half the pros have "disappeared' for exactly those comments.

• cpartist
    last year

I still will never be able to afford your houses, cannot you step down and help the rest of us, or is that too much to ask?

Why do you assume you can't afford any of his houses? Did you even ask?

True story: When I was building, I kept having to compromise on my kitchen cabinets with who the builder sent me to and we are talking a custom home. I couldn't get my island in quarter sawn oak. I couldn't get plywood boxes. I couldn't get glass uppers on my top cabinets etc. Why? Because the pricing put it out of our budget.

One day, I was in the neighborhood of our local Amish store where they also do custom cabinetry. Out of desperation, I walked into the store, and drooled over their beautifully done cabinets. So much better than even some high end manufacturers cabinets. I sat down with the designer and my first words to him were, "I'm sure I can't afford your cabinets, but this is what I want", and I handed him my floor plan with everything drawn out to scale.

He said, well let me see. He came back to me a week later, and not only did I then get my glass cabinets and my quarter sawn oak island, but I got all the bells and whistles I wanted including the corner drawer, the others said couldn't be done. And, his price for the fully custom kitchen was almost 1/2 of what I had been quoted for what would have been a huge compromise. I'm so glad I didn't just assume and actually checked because I love my kitchen and my cabinets.

• cpartist
    last year

PS: They wound up doing all my custom cabinetry throughout my house and they found me carpentry finishers who did a much better job than the builder's guy could have to finish my trim work throughout my house. And once again, their pricing was less than the builders and the quality didn't even compare to the builder's guys. So much better.

• cpartist
    last year

The point is...if someone got help, good advice? Averted a mistake? Got a better result? Why would you care, or snark? Think about that, as you may notice at least half the pros have "disappeared' for exactly those comments.

The best thing I ever did was show my house here and listen to all the comments from the pros and those more knowledgeable than me at the time.

I understand that the OP can't change a lot of the things, but there are some she can change but has decided she won't. That's fine but it's also fine that many of us pointed it out to her and to others. Maybe the next person building will ask their tract builder if they can leave off something or only use 1 or 2 siding materials instead of 4 or more.

• pdmd
    last year

Sherry - you are a rock star. Thank you for saying what many of us feel when we read threads like this.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

This has come up on many threads. I’m often called a Karen for standing up for OPs who get crushed by comments. This forum has so so many amazing contributions from pros and regular folk too. Some of that gets lost in the unsolicited advice which can still be helpful if someone is open but for sure gets lots in unnecessarily mean comments. The challenge is those who make the mean comments hold steady on why they think it’s totally fine to do so. OP I hope you end up with a home you love and that you can weed out some of the negative to see there are some small changes possible that could have a huge impact.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here are some paint options. Hard to be sure of colors on line but the “brick” looks warm tones and the stone looks cool. That’s a lot of variation in color, so I would keep paint pretty neutral. I like BM Revere Pewter and possibly SW Black Fox for sone trim.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Revere Pewter is a “greige” color so walks the line between beige and gray. You need samples to test in your light so that’s your next step. Order samples from samplize.com. That will help you a lot.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

“For some trim”!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Did you select color? I read the current comments but I didn’t see what you may have selected? Your roof looks grayish, so I would lean grays with greige tones. Your white windows are going to need integrating too. Perhaps with white porch furniture and white flowers?

• krystalmoon2009
    last year

That stone and brick do not work together

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

Once again, ignore the brick I chose. That’s for the other walls of the house. I am focused on finding a color that would match the stones in the front.

@Flo Mangan, I like the color you suggested. I am leaning towards it and choosing something a tad lighter.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

I think grey/white trim would work

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Oh. OK. I can check lighter tone for you. Bbl

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

What do you guys think?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I was going to suggest SW Agreeable Gray. It is lighter than Revere Pewter. I will check on Felted Wool. It looks much darker. But let me get the DNA of that color. Brb

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Felted Wool has an LRV (light reflective value) of 28. On a scale of 0-100 with 100 being most reflective this is low on that scale. It is worth a sample if you like it but not sure it will work with the stone.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

I see, what about SW 7030
    Anew Gray?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Felted Wool is too red.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

You need to ask for a current sample of that stone. The one you have now is probably old. Always different when you get actual stone. So be aware of that. Anew gray is a possibility.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is Anew Gray. Hard to be sure from here but I would lean more gray rather than greige given the brick is not going on outside.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

You wanted blue before the pesky neighbors picked blue ,lol. Is there a light gray with blue undertones?

• User
    last year

Paint cannot bridge the big clash in materials. It just can’t. Things have to actually belong together for them to work together.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

So what is your suggestion @Verbo

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

As I understand it, you will have painted board and batten and mixed gray stone on exterior. So you want to paint the siding and soffit and trim. Is that correct?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Siding on the other three sides. Eliminate the brick. then pick a color.

Get down to TWO surface materials.

Nobody's picking on you - they just can't UN see what they see as a potential . ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here are a couple examples.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

Yes that’s right The second picture is very close

• strategery
    last year

Strange kaleidoscope of fake non-stone, finishes and colors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

In that picture, they picked up on the darker gray in the stone. You could do that too. With your white windows it would look stunning. I will find a similar color for you.

• User
    last year

Ditch the fake stone. Do all brick. Then pick a very light color from it.

• Khine Hnin
    Original Author
    last year

Bricks