Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_271823512

Hunter Douglas Silhouette

Imma S
last year

So I really like the concept of Hunter Douglas Silhouette, I feel like it’s a combo of regular blinds + lace curtains. Does anyone own it and what do you think? And it’s there a cheaper alternative? Thank you

Comments (13)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

Millions of people own them, love them. They are all the benefit of a blind, but without the hideous "stack" when fully up. When partially up? They appear as a crisp roman shade. When down, you have the versatility of a blind, but one that doesn't feel as though the window still needs another decorative element.

So ..........you're getting a lot of options in one treatment and that's why you paying for what you are getting : )

The lowest price in Silhouette will be "Nantucket

. Pricing will rise with wider veins, fabric selections ( huge ) and whether battery, cord, cordless ...etc.

Get an IN HOUSE visit from a Hunter Douglas dealer near you.

( If you favor lace curtains? They are a bit contemporary for your style ) Window treatments, ANY type.......need to suit your style and decor.

• petula67
    last year

Depends on your light control and privacy goals. We had a Pirouette, similar to Silhoutte, in a large picture window in our south-facing living room that looked into the back yard. The shade wasn't up to the light control job because the fabric we chose was too sheer and we didn't know to order extra layering features that might have helped. And since we didn't need privacy, the whole concept was really wasted in our application. It was pretty enough, except when bugs crawled inside the tubes. It was an expensive mistake in our case. We did have an in-home consultation, but we probably didn't ask enough questions and we should have waited until we'd lived in the house longer before buying window treatments.

• lizziesma
    last year

We love our Silhouttes, installed 3 years ago, on large living room windows for some privacy at night, glare control on brightest days without blocking view.

• Sharon Fullen
    last year

I installed Silhouettes throughout my home 23 years ago. They still look lovely even as the decor evolved over the years. They may be costly but Hunter Douglas has proven to be a great value. I anticipate many more years of use.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

I agree with Sharon--I have had them in my bedroom for over 20 years and they still look and perform great. I open and close them every day.

• tgb1
    last year

I have them in my bedrooms. I love them, but I also installed inexpensive white blackout shades behind them to be able to block the sunlight when I want to.

And how do people clean out the bugs that get in there and die?

• CeeWhy
    last year

Try selectblinds.com for better pricing. I think they call them "Sheer Shades" on their website. We had a professional come to our home and measure for Graber blinds, but the quote we got back was a lot higher than I was expecting. I was able to get the same kind of window treatments I wanted at Select Blinds for 1/3 the price and they were easy to install. If you create a shopping cart and save it, a salesperson will call you (which annoyed me at first) and offer you additional discounts (I was no longer annoyed after that 😁). I literally saved thousands.

• petula67
    last year

We used the crevice tool on a handheld vac. We held it against the outside of the shade, at the point of bug location, then slowly slid the vacuum toward the nearest side of the shade. The dead bug usually complied with the maneuver by following along.

• PRO
    last year

I've used a blow dryer to get the (very few) bugs that get caught between the vanes of the Silhouettes.

• tgb1
    last year

Thanks ladies- I’ll try to dislodge them today! :)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I prefer solar shades for heat and light control since I like to keep the view out my windows all the time . I think those type blinds are fine though if the view is not important.

• tgb1
    last year

Yay Diana- it worked!!!
    Thanks so much :))

• PRO
    last year

Haha, @tgb1, you're welcome!