Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_buhr

New paint job doesn't match adjacent wall.

Anthony Buhr
last year

In the process of having some repair work done and the contractor used a paint scanner to get a match on the paint color. However it looks different than the adjacent wall. Should I ask him to fix it or is it close enough and just let it be. Thoughts?
The old paint is on the left adjacent wall. New paint on the right looks to have a bit of a green tint to it. The paint is dry, by the way.
I also noticed that I have some old paint containers and one of which appears to be the exact one that was used originally in this room. If I got that same color that was in the old one, it would likely match? Or would the 4-5 years of aging of the paint result in a mismatched appearance anyways?
Thanks!
I don't like the idea of asking them to repaint the wall, but would the contractor balk at the request? My wife is ok with it as it is just our Laundry room. I may get used to it overtime.

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    last year

Looks the same to me and no 4-5 year old paint color will definitely be a bit different than a freshly painted wall. It is a laundry room and yes he would balk at your asking him to repaint. The only way it would ever ,match is if the entire wall was painted with the same batch of paint. Period.

• Chris
    last year

Hi. If it’s really a bother, I’d paint the rest yourself or hire him to do the rest. Once I painted part of a white ceiling to cover repairs… oh my! Even though it was the same color, I had to paint the whole giant room in the end… twice! I mistakenly used one we had on hand from the other room… noticed it didn’t match up. So then bought another same color…brand…painted the rest… ugh.. it didn’t match so had to continue painting the part I started with… and a second coat as well. So Now I just accept that that’s the case with every project just incase. It’s an easy room to hone your own paint skills if you are physically able( painting can be quite fatiguing)since it’s a family only area.

• lharpie
    last year

Not his fault if it’s the same paint. often i have been able to touch up paint years later and have it match but not guaranteed. and it’s an ugly laundry room so i wouldn’t worry about it (mine is too so i’d just leave it!). but fine to paint to match if it bothers you - pay him or diy though.

• PRO
    User
    last year
    last modified: last year

If you wanted ”perfect”, your budget for the project should have covered a 100% repaint of the whole space. That is how you get perfect. Repair work matching will never ever be 100%.

• ci_lantro
    last year
    last modified: last year

Close enough for a laundry room. Anyway, the same paint on different walls can look different because of how the light hits it and color influences from outdoor light. Some of my bright white walls look green during parts of the day because of the trees and lawn outside.

• Jennifer Svensson
    last year

^^^
    This is the same paint, painted at the same time:

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County