Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jared_underberg

Need help identifying fungus on tree

Does anyone know what this whiteish fungus that’s growing on the one tree limb? The branches from the tree limb are gone. I want to know how to treat this. It appears to be spreading and I’m afraid it’ll eventually kill the tree. Any help is appreciated!

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

improper pruning stub...

i think.. its very hard to interpret the pic ...

is that tall huge trunk behind attached to the dead stub??

your problem is the surface fungus is due to sever interior structural rotting wood.. and there is nothing you can do to fix that.. except have the tree removed ... unless its out in the middle of a fairway.. and wont fall any anything valuable ...

removing or treating the surface issue will accomplish nothing ...

get estimates from 3 tree removers.. and make sure the one you pick has active insurance ....

tree removal can be done just about all winter long... if you have a fireplace.. keep some of the straight trunk for splitting and firewood ...

ken

• Jared Underberg
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. Here are other pictures. I thought I could remove the limb where the fungus is grieving which wouldn’t be that difficult. Do these pictures help?

• charles kidder
    last year

Looks like the fungus is growing on a dead branch. Doubt it will spread to living wood. This is just how nature decomposes dead wood. I would cut out the dead part, not because of fear of killing the tree. More out of fear the branch will fall and kill a person or land on a house or car.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

You could make a proper pruning cut leaving the branch collar but I see bark issues on the branch on the right up near the cut there.

tj

• bengz6westmd
    last year

Pretty big limb for the average person to cut.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

The trees had branches cut several times in different places.

Generally speaking, this is a sign of decline in the tree.

Large branch removal is not a good practice in the first place, it can take many years for the wound to close. In the meantime, rot can get started inside the tree and will spread.

You'll have many years playing 'Whack a mole' keeping up with the cutting off of dead limbs.

it's up to you but if it were me, I would seriously consider having the tree removed in the next year or two.

You could plant a better tree nearby, now or in the spring, so the new one will be ready to grow when the old one is gone.

Just having the peace of mind, eliminating the chance of a falling limb damaging property or injuring someone would be worth it to me.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

thx for the extra pix.. i still cant tell if its just a ded stub.. or if those large trunks are coming out ot it..

regardless.. you need an on site inspeciton by a certified arborist ... add you city and state to this search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=certified+arborist&ia=web

or skip that cost.. and just add it to the removal budget ... and dont forget about insurance for the tree removal dude ...

ken

• bengz6westmd
    last year

I hope you understand, just because some here tell you to cut it down doesn't mean you have to. These are people's opinions and those will naturally vary. And a "Certified arborist" will always recommend cutting it down because that's their business.