Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhoda_melnicoff

hand sewn doggie toys

Rho Dodendron
last year

The local pet store has a display of overpriced themed dog toys such as Football or Thanksgiving etc etc. I had the 'brilliant' idea that I could buy woven printed cotton fabric and sew a giant dog bone shape to make a toy to bring to cousins house for Thanksgiving. The dog is an adult corgi. I'm not a dog person. My question is---what should I use for stuffing?

Comments (7)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Hi Rho - I’m a crafty lady too. I’d hesitate making a dog toy, though. My daughter’s doggo is so tough on everything! I’d be afraid that the corgi would bite and tear into the fabric no matter how sturdy the fabric was. And I’d definitely be concerned about him ingesting anything I stuffed it with. That said, if this corgi has more respect for his toys than my grand dog, 😂, I think you should concentrate more on the fabric that the toy is made from. Good luck!

Rho Dodendron thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I agree about it being torn apart very easily if handmade. But I wouldn't worry much about any stuffing.- you can use quilt batting or the fluff they sell to stuff pillows and stuffed toys. Every dog I've ever owned - and that includes the 8 month old puppy I share with my sister - immediately proceeds to disembowel any stuffed toy they receive. And even faster if it squeaks!! All of these toys have similar type stuffing and while messy, it's harmless in that dogs are not interested in eating it. Only removing it :-))

For future reference, look for stuffed dog toys at the dollar store or discount stores like TJMaxx and Marshall's. The grocery store too, after a holiday. My last pup went through them so fast, I could never afford to pay full pet store prices!!

As an aside, pet stores and other kitchen goods places sell dog bone shaped cookie cutters. Instead of making a toy, you could make healthy and yummy dog treats! Recipe here.

Rho Dodendron thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • socks
    last year
    last modified: last year

By the time you buy the fabric and stuffing, you could probably have paid for a toy and saved yourself the time making the "bone." Some dogs will eat the stuffing, and you wouldn't want that. I like the dog cookie idea suggested by gardengal. Bone shaped is cute but it doesn't have to be. Dogs don't care, shape is for the people....lol.

If the dog chews up toys, it could destroy your homemade toy in short order.

Rho Dodendron thanked socks
  • Ninapearl
    last year

my 2 great danes are hard on stuffies. they don't last a quick minute around here. dog toys are SO overpriced! i started making trips to the goodwill outlet store and buying stuffed animals for them by the pound. i could fill 3 garbage bags full for about $7 so i didn't feel too bad when the 2 destroyers got a hold of them. i spent a lot of time picking up stuffy guts! i once gave my girl one of these and unbeknownst to me, it was stuffed with those teen tiny plastic beads. she had a grand old time tearing it apart but i think i was vacuuming up that stuff for 3 days. 🙄

i really love the idea of some homemade treats!

Rho Dodendron thanked Ninapearl
  • Rho Dodendron
    Original Author
    last year

Doh! doggie treats. I forgot I have a great recipe using peanut butter, used to bring them to daughters' dogs.

I already have a bone shaped cookie cutter plus a snowman plus some for Hanukkah.

• Rho Dodendron
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the heads up. Peanut Butter is SO yummy but so deadly to many.