Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

Safavieh Heritage rugs worth it? Rug here!

RNmomof2 zone 5
last year
last modified: last year

I would like a new rug for my great room area and need a 12 x 15. I have a sedate blue and tan 9 x 12 in there now. It's just "there", nothing exciting or that you would notice/remember.

I have been looking for a new rug but haven't found anything because of the size needed. Not many places carry that big in a store. Also I am inherently thrifty and can't see spending a lot of $$ on a rug that I may tire of.

Safavieh has some wool rugs on a few sites that I am considering but they get mixed reviews. I'm not sure if some of it is just the buyers (often uneducated) expectations or not. I only have one other wool rug and it does not shed but many people said these rugs shed.

Lowes has a few on their web that would make returning to the store easy if I didn't like them. Price point on these rugs are approx $800. Some said that they would be bare in areas from shedding and wear in 5-7 years so if you were ok with that, go ahead and get them.

Thoughts?

Comments (20)

• Kswl
    last year

I have had two rugs that I got rid of within five years, one from Savavieh and one from Kalaty. Neither was well made and they were in the price range you mentioned. I have seen nicer Kalaty rugs than mine that lasted (friends’) so I may have gotten a lemon in that brand.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Kswl
  • Funkyart
    last year

I have a number of safevieh rugs ... wool tufted and flat weave the only one I would (and do) have in the livingroom is the flat weave. The others are not so soft and they shed something fierce.

Ive had mine for over 10 yr -- for the price (just over $1000 10 yr ago), I am pleased. There are much better rugs out there but I wasn't willing to pay the higher prices.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Funkyart
  • Fori
    last year

Safavieh sells so many rugs so many places, there's a good chance you can get a trial size version (AKA a doormat) from Ama$on or overstck or maybe even Lowe's to see how you like it. The pattern of course gets messed up when you shrink it but it's a good way to get a feel for what type of rug you're getting.

I've done that before since I wanted a matching doormat anyway. The particular rug was one of their super cheap ones (I salute my dog here) and I wanted to be sure it wasn't TOO cheap feeling before committing because it was too huge to get rid of easily.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Fori
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

In my experience, tufted wool rugs shed horribly. I have not had that problem with any other wool rugs.

For a guest bedroom where I needed a rug slightly larger than the one you need, I decided to try a polypropylene rug (not the best environmental choice).It is wonderful. Soft, pretty, long-wearing, and inexpensive comparatively speaking. I would not hesitate to put one in a great room where it would see a lot of wear.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Judi
    last year

I will never buy another tufted rug.

If it doesn't have to be wool you might consider polypropylene.

I have a beautiful polypropylene rug that's at least 5 years old. I think it was aktillery9who convinced me to give one a try. I think I paid about $400 for a 9x12. I want to say it came from rugs.com, but I couldn't swear to it.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Judi
  • eld6161
    last year

https://riflepaperco.com/

Have a look at these.

A friend had Safavieh rugs but I'm not sure of made of. They look nice for many years.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked eld6161
  • 3katz4me
    last year

I've had a wool Safavieh rug for about five years. It's a thicker, kind of plush one and it doesn't shed. I've seen those complaints about shedding and I've never had that problem with my inexpensive rugs. I looked long and hard for a rug for this particular space (including returning one to esalerugs) and just happened to settle on the Safavieh because it was the right colors and size and it was round. And I got it at Home Depot for easy return. I was kind of gobsmacked at how cheap it was but I thought if it didn't hold up I wouldn't be out much. I've been very happy with it.

I had another inexpensive rug in the past that I didn't even realize had worn bare until I got ready to move. It was in the dining room so no heavy wear and tear. I think my house cleaner's heavy duty vacuum just sucked the yarn right out of it though I can't figure out why that happened in just one spot.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked 3katz4me
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    last year

@eld6161 The Rifle rugs do not come large enough for what I need and even those are pricier than I may want to pay. Ironically I was in a Homegoods a few weeks ago and saw a rug from their line. Again it was small, maybe a 8 x 11.

I checked with Lowes and they will price match the other big online retailer. I will probably order one of them that I like in a smaller size and go from there. They do not appear to be on any special seasonal sale so I don't need to hurry to order a large one.

• Fori
    last year

Apparently I have some wool Safavieh runners in my hallway. They are a different line than what you're looking at and about 10 years old but they've held up very well. They shed some when new but nothing terrible.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Fori
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    last year

I bit the bullet and ordered a 4 x 6 from Lowes. This rug is not carried at he big online store. It should be here by next Monday .....or so they say!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    last year

The rug got here Wednesday. Funny story-I had just checked the order and it said it hadn't shipped yet. I was bitching to my DH about that and we but bet's on if it would be here by Monday. Not even 5 minutes later I get a text it is ready for pick up.

The bad news is that it doesn't look like the pictures! 😕

I will post pictures of what it looks like and what was posted on line. Not sure I can live with the current colors. It's dark and muddy compared to the pics. Here is the online pic taken from the Safavieh website.

I will post the rug in the next post.

• nicole___
    last year

THIS is the only place I've been buying rugs from lately. Paktraders I really like what I've received so far. Amazing workmanship!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    last year

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    last year

Those pictures make it look much better than it is. When looking at it, one gets an overall gold-tan coloration. The stock photo has those areas of creme and there is nothing close to that color in this rug.

I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to a new rug. @nicole___I just checked that shop out and they do not carry large enough rugs for what I need.

• nicole___
    last year

@RNmomof2 zone 5...He has a large store and import business. If you email him he can offer YOU rugs not listed. I emailed him with a weird size, 42" x 10.5' and he found me just what I was looking for....$200...hand woven...just AWESOME! He's been around for years....and I just can't say enough good things about this business.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked nicole___
  • User
    last year

I had a tufted wool rug that shed so horribly. I would comb it with a dog brush and vacuum once a week. After a few days it would look like it was covered in tufts of fur from a long haired dog (we don't have pets).

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked User
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    last year

DH came home and agree that it didn't really look like the picture and that it made our room look very dark. So we rolled it back up and got it back in the bags it came in, Pretty impressive, huh? Ready to go back to Lowes.

• Jilly
    last year

Sorry it didn’t work — hope you find one you love. :)

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Jilly
  • User
    last year

So we rolled it back up and got it back in the bags it came in...

wow, that's even more challenging than folding up a map! nice work.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm