Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylvietrepanier

Help to get WOW factor

Sylvie T.
10 years ago
Went from older home to open concept townhouse not long ago. Love the place but I feel it is missing a touch of personality. My questions are:
1. Should I paint or wallpaper accent walls? The tiny one in kitchen next to fridge, the entrance? Peacock blue? I had tomato red accent walls in old house so let´s change things a bit. Or leave same color and add wall art?
2. Family room: should I add something to wall with pictures?
3. Entrance: bigger carpet as soon as I find one. Should I paint walls, mirror?
4. Staircase: I want to add picture frames on small landing?
5. Kitchen island: add one more shelf above existing one? Or a clock, nothing?

I want to keep things simple, contemporary and zen. Wall color balboa mist, trimings simply white, both by Benjamin Moore.

Open to all suggestions! Looking forward to your comments. Daŕ, no more than 4 photos?

Comments (79)

• jen046
    10 years ago
    Could you also post a pic of the fireplace straight on and a closer-up photo of the artwork? Also, a photo of the kitchen standing straight on so I can see it all at once?
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Will do as soon as I have a minute. May just pull out my big camera vs iphone...
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, here are a few pics you asked for. Fireplace tomorrow when the light is there.

A tiny plan, the kitchen straight on, from the end of the island, on last stool, this is the view I have. Bye
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Thanks, T. Obviously my idea for the placement of an orange wall won't work because it's on the same wall as the fireplace (which I recommended go chartreuse). Let me noodle this a little and get back to you.
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the other pics I took for you as asked. You are devoted! You can see what we see when entering the house, art work upclose, fireplace face on, color chip by sofa wall....
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Well, this is just a start, but for you consideration:

Long living room, dining room, lounge wall (except for fireplace): a blue, not quite peacock, but more deep Caribbean--a dab of turquoise.

Fireplace: a warm, light yellow color like the bird in the painting.

Entry: orange, but with a little brown in it. Think yam, not rust.

Kitchen: starting at the big wall and carrying through the soffit: bright, lighter green with yellow in it.

Here one some color ideas. Remember, any paint company can replicate another company's paint (at least I know Sherwin Williams can).

http://houzz.com/photos/1707436
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Fireplace colors next.

http://houzz.com/photos/1652685
  • User
    10 years ago
    Saw the added photos and the note about wallpaper and ideas for placement options for that, so thought I'd add some ideas in regard to that.
    I think green and blue might be a good color combo for wallpaper, to pull from the blue swatch you have and the green of your kitchen chairs. Have included a green and blue wallpaper from spoonflower as an example of a blue and green color wallpaper. I would wallpaper the half wall behind the couch in the living room and the partial wall in the kitchen next to the refrigerator. I would paint the entire fireplace and entry the blue in the wallpaper and add green, blue and orange or red as primary accent colors throughout the rooms.
    Instead of wallpaper, for paint color blocking of the walls, I would do something similar. Paint the entry and the entire fireplace blue, and the half wall in the living room, the green color in your kitchen chairs. I would paint the green kitchen wall next to the refrigerator the same green as the chairs and add art on that wall that pulled in the blue of the entry. Again, with blue, green and orange or red as the primary accent colors. Have fun!

Spoonflower wallpaper:

http://www.spoonflower.com/wallpaper/837778
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I love your home. It's beautiful! How exciting. I love what I see so far. I love the turquoise, orange and lime accents. But if you want the feeling of calm and zen, I would not overdo on those strong colors on large sufaces. I would not use too much of it. That will take you away from 'simple' and 'zen'. Zen is calming.

I would choose paint colors in soft coral, sand, tan or soft creamy yellow.
    I would choose a sisal carpet
    I would choose bamboo blinds or roman shades
    Maybe gauze or linen drapes or sheer wovens

Add another glass shelf, it looks lonely.

I would use some zebra wood accents in bowls or sculptures.
    Woven colorful placemats on the dining table.
    Dining: move the orange vases to the table centerpiece with a turquoise glass bowl or another vase. Vary the style and height.
    I would choose some wood accents for the room, accessories or small tables. Warmer.
    I would add a tabletop fountain.
    Love the bright accents that you already have!!!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    If you choose strong bright accent colors for large spaces or paint, the rooms will have a lot of energy and life. It depends how you want the rooms to feel :) You can use both feelings. They can work in your home in different spaces and you can have both feelings. Zen or higher energy.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I love your art, color of accessories!!! Very nice choices!!!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Wallpaer ideas
    More energy, not too calming
    Vinyl Wall Decal Forest with BirdsHome Decor Murals by WowWall · More Info

Vinyl Tree Wall Decal by Wall Decal Depot · More Info

Zen like
    Magnolia Flower Branch Decal · More Info

Mimosa wallpaper · More Info

Nordic Blossom 392015 · More Info

Branch · More Info

Wallpaper wall · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Soft paint colors will be a great background for the bright accessories and accents and your art will pop.
    face powder CSP-1085 · More Info

Everlasting 1038 · More Info

Crisp Khaki 234 Paint · More Info

Benjamin Moore Maritime Blue · More Info

Manchester Tan HC-81 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Rich Cream 2153-60 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Natural Linen by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Inner Balance 1522 Paint · More Info

Warm Springs, Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It is pouring ideas today, just love it.

LB interiors: I adore the blue turquoise wall with the decal of tree and orange birds. The orange birds do it for me.

As for the lonely shelf, check out picture. I have to find better stuff to put on it but no "coup de coeur" yet. Don't know how to say in English, " love at first sight" maybe.

I found another orange pillow at Home Sense. Decorating takes patience and time. Still looking for more. Adding some on leather sofas: they always slip on leather and it drives me mad. Any ideas!

I am mulching over mood I want. My husband decided, and its my choice also, to keep most walls our balboa mist colour except entry, empty kitchen wall and wall behind sofa. Good start. We will punch the rooms with bright turquoise, oranges, greens.

I am an amateur- pro photographer and decided to work on a large piece of art for the family room tv area. Use all the small frames as in image in earlier postings above, and take many photographs of different bold colours with texture. Each different colour would have a frame. I think I will then do a " degrade". So go from top to bottom: orangy red, orange, yellows, greens, blues, purples. Something like that. It will rake time to find right mix but ...

Also, I will add more photographs of Burano houses (Italy) in staircase. I want multiple picture frames but cant find one I like. Go check out my website. http://www.pbase.com/trepanier_sylvie

Keep it coming, please.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think you are moving to higher energy than calming Zen. Good for you. Love the boldness in your color choices. You have plenty of WOW from all your beautiful accent colors :))
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My room is very zen so there. I love bold colours and love young spaces. If I could just find out where the people got their colourful " drops" in image above. They make a great statement on a neutral wall.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Sorry, T. Sylvie, I was just thinking more like the images found here. You took it up a couple of notches that's all.
    Some show stronger color and many have zen style furniture and accessory choices that say zen. Sorry!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=zen+design+style&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5RkxUuONLPax4AOlw4HQAQ&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1117&bih=682&dpr=1
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    T., I love your photography. I really can see a photo wall like you described.

I did want to say I loved the last wallpaper that Margaret posted.

It's funny...when people say "Zen" it means so many different things. I adore neutrals and calming colors, but I just can't ever seem to bring myself to use them in either my home or my office. No restraint, I guess! To me, "Zen" equals color!

Lucky for me, my hubby lives color! My kids think we are crazy, but they have their own homes, so I really don't care.
  • PRO
    BBA Architects
    10 years ago
    The colors are way too safe. You can get a wow factor with some color saturation, a great rug, and an entry way table with girth. No wimpy moves.
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Boy, I just found something that will please all: wall stencils. Great allium one but the zinnia, to die for. They come in many sizes to mix and match. Therefore I can have wallpaper without the paper. Go see at cutting edge stencil website. Here is an example. I am in live. See my powder room decals reflected in mirror.
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Check out my family room in previous house. A friend designer and myself did the "faux fini" on the walls using paint and glaze. Yeap, wall stencils it will be,

Should I leave base colour paint and add green, blue and orange zinnias or have blue wall with more subdued zinnias?
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Totally agree with comment about safe colours. T me, it was the backdrop to then add the colours. Like the foundation before the blush and eye shadow. Get the picture. Still totally agree with you. Check above the rug with columns. Its coming in next few days for entrance. Colour is coming in slowly but still coming in.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Lots of great ideas from everyone and I like your plan about using the decals. The zinnias are great and they mirror your light in the entry as well. Really like your photography and like your rooms from your last house. I would trust yourself about what you think would look good in terms of where you want to go with color in the room. I think you have a great color sense and sense of balance as well. And I agree with jen046 and lbinteriors that everyone has their own ideas about what feels right for them in terms of color. Really like the color and the stripes in your family room in your previous house. A very vibrant and fun space and I bet this one will be too!
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks C,

I liked my squares so much that I will redo on accent wall in my son's room. Yes, zinnias it is.
  • industrialing
    10 years ago
    I think you should buy carpet square that are blue and orange and add more rice paper chandilers
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    So what's new T?
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I lost a loved one this week... Decorating will have to wait. Thanks for asking. I will give news in a few weeks.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Take the needed time for you and your families. Decorating can surely wait! My best you!
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry for your loss. Please take care, and we'll see you when we see you.
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am back. I love to paint when I am stressed so I painted after Italy and France to help me mourn my sister. I went bold but with moderation, i.e. Small wall with bold colours.
    1. Orange 14carrots by Benjamin Moore on 1 entrance wall; 2. Avallon teal blue also BM on boring kitchen wall;
    3. hydrangea green from BM on one living room wall
    4. Found great pillows with colourful dots

The only place you can see all 3 colours at a time is when you turn your back on the TV and look ahead.

Next plans:
    1. Collage of white frames with small colourful photos inside on avallon teal blue wall ( see previous post)
    2. Wall stencils on long wall in family room using the hydrangea green and avallon blue (blue alyssums with green stems or blue and green zinnias -see from previous post)
    3. Buy the large round faux leather ottoman for the family room
    4. Add photos of Positano (great colours) to my green wall and move the Venice one elsewhere.
    5. Knick knacks around the place when I find them

Well, what do you think? Any more great ideas? I took suggestions from many people and then adapted to my tastes.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I have not read this thread, but wanted to suggest color blocking, and that is just what you've done. Your sister has been well-mourned. You'll miss her but these wonderful colors will continue to reflect the inspiration you took from her passing. I bet she'd love it.
  • User
    10 years ago
    So very sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. Love all your choices, and love the bold color - I think it works so well with the rooms. Like all your ideas too. Wishing you and your family all the best as you move through this period of time.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Wonderful feel to your home.

Can’t tell from the above pix if you did this, but from your first photo, I would love to see the inside front door painted black.
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would also love to paint inside of front door same dark brown as my other doors. Having trouble convincing my other half. How could I paint so that it has same great finish as it has now? Paint gun out of question unless I remove door and we are getting snow in 3 days! What paint type? Tx
  • elizabethbhardy
    10 years ago
    I would put a big colorful painting on the wall by the fridge, one that brings out the colors of the pillows on the sofa.
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Sylvie, welcome back! I haven't checked in on you in a while, but boy-o-boy did you go to town! I love the colors you chose and where you put them!
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jen46, wait until I do my photo wall and stencil. Will be done before Xmas. Thanks for your great help... I knew you would love my colour choices. Stay tuned!
  • sivfino
    10 years ago
    You have the wow factor. I love the doors in black. Would you consider adding a pop of color (or black) to the front door? Or a different entry fixture. Other than that keep nothing else needs to be added IMO.
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to see what you do next! I'll stay tuned!
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Love the idea of painting the front door black (or to match the color of the other doors in the entry).
  • Sylvie T.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So do I Jen, we can only paint in Spring now... Too cold. Started my stencils and not easy.
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    All in good Time, Sylvie, dear. All in good time!
  • PRO
    Tiffany Amato Ethan Allen Puente Hills California
    5 years ago

Larger light fixtures, and paint!!!