Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_sluder

rug styles for open concept home

Donna Sluder
last year

I just bought a new rug for the dining room in my small open to concept home. I’m worried if it is working with the existing rugs. The kitchen runner, living room and entryway rugs are all alike, a popular ruggable pattern. I fell in love with this bold rug from Crate and Barrel but is it overpowering the room??? Thanks and suggestions welcome and encouraged. PS … I paid a lot for the new rug. Changes if needed would be on the other rugs. I can’t imagine the look on my husband’s face if I told him it wasn’t working. Lol
Donna

Comments (11)

• Donna Sluder
    Original Author
    last year

I have straightened out the fringe since taking this pic. Lol

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I LOVE tah rug now just do something simple and in the LR I would do a shag. Theothers just a color from the DR rug and forget a runner in the kitchen

• Donna Sluder
    Original Author
    last year

I have hardwood floors in my kitchen. Im a little worried about not having a runner to protect them. Our house is new.

• lharpie
    last year

The rug is fabulous!! definitely keep it. hard to really see the others but appears this rug is much more contemporary. i’d probably use something fairly solid in entry way so as not to compete. i started with rugs on my new wood floors in kitchen and quickly gave up. we haven’t had any issues in 7 years in terms of water other than a few small spots by dishwasher.

• Molly
    last year

Great rug in the dining room, love it! It's hard to see the other rugs.

• Donna Sluder
    Original Author
    last year

Pics of the other rugs

• Donna Sluder
    Original Author
    last year

What about this combination…

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Too much visual stimulation with all these rugs.

If you feel you cannot live without a rug under the dining room table ( they are not a requirement) then stop with the pattern and get something classic and simple.

IMO the pendants are undersized for your table.

These grass shades would have been a nice touch.

• Sarah
    last year

I love the eclectic look of your rugs. The patterns do not seem to compete visually from what I can see, but I also do not prefer matchy-matchy. In fact, I like your lighting as well. You are doing a great job. Continue to follow your instinct. It’s working!

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

Your new rug looks awesome. I’ve recommended that rug to a few people here, glad to see how it actually looks in someone’s house!

I think all of your rugs are fine together, and much more interesting and attractive than a bunch of plain ones. I agree with everything Mrs Ted said. We’re outliers — most on these boards get antsy at mixing colors and patterns. ;)

If I was going to change any rug, it would only be the entry one. I think a plainer one there would be a nice bridge between the dining and living room rugs, and they’d stand out more that way.

Your kitchen runner is so pretty … I’m another who will always have a rug in my kitchen.

Your lights are not too small for your table, I don’t understand that comment at all. I think the oversized lights shown as examples look ridiculous. That’s a strange trend I hope is over soon.

• Allison0704
    last year

I like the rugs together, but would change the circular one in the foyer to a much smaller sisal. As in door mat size.