Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_789298092

Help narrow down replacement window choices

Thomas B
last year

I am completely overwhelmed with all the window options. After three years of putting off this major purchase, we need to replace at least all of the top six double hung windows on the front of our house. As I understand it, we'd be wise to replace all ten front windows at once due to rapidly increasing costs and to avoid the risk of not being able to find the same window down the road if we don't replace at the same time.
We currently have wooden Windsor double hung windows that are original to the house (built in 1995) and are in need of replacing on the upper level in particular, where the seals have degraded and they constantly have condensation on them, which leads to mold growth.
Project goals:
Balance cost with quality (looking for best bang for buck - performance, warranty, etc.)
Maximize sunlight (maintain or increase glass, if possible)
Save on heating and cooling
Improve interior/exterior aesthetic
We live in the Twin Cities (MN) and experience extreme temperatures. The most common windows installed up here seem to be Andersen, but from my reading it sounds like there may be better options out there. I'd like to have 2-3 window replacement manufacturer models to source quotes locally, but with the large number of manufacturers, models and installers out there, I'm hoping to save time by generating suggestions from homeowners or seasoned experts who know better than me.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Sincerely,
T

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

What is the exterior siding/cladding? Any rot in the frames?

Is budget a concern?

• Thomas B
    Original Author
    last year

Siding is vinyl.

I think exterior window cladding is aluminum?

No rot in the frames that I know of.

Budget is definitely a factor, but we're willing to spend a bit more if it will pay off in the long run in terms of energy savings, resale value, etc.

• PRO
    last year

In that case, an insert will be the more budget friend as well as water management appropriate application. A full tear out, without pulling the siding, is less correct in this case vs. an insert. The insert, depending on the window, will be consistent with your current area of visible glass. If you go with a bulky window, you will loose some glass.

Based on climate, I would definitely be looking at triple pane and something with a U-Factor of 0.20 and below.

• Thomas B
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your recommendation.

I forgot to mention one pair of the windows is within a brick exterior which covers the central part of the front exterior.

I always thought inserts were less effective in terms of efficiency gain, since a complete replacement allows for modern insulation and sealing techniques. Is that not correct?

Do you have specific window model(s) you recommend that meet the triple pane and 0.20 U-factor criteria?

• PRO
    last year

A well installed insert will be as efficient as a full tear out in your case. You have a more modern wood window. There aren't weight pockets and other things to get to here. The narrow profile vinyl windows out there (i.e. your concerns about glass loss) will be Sunrise, Soft-Lite, and Okna. Those are the brands that I am most familiar with.

• Thomas B
    Original Author
    last year

Here are some pictures of the condition of the window interiors. It looks like there's some water damage on the window sills from condensation and frost build up on the windows in the winter. Is this salvageable with doing insert installation, or would you recommend full replacement? The windows on the lower level don't experience the same condensation problems.

• PRO
    last year

Salvageable...yes. Will need sanding and stain/paint, but should be fine.

• Thomas B
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! One last major detail that I was reminded of 😬...

A few years ago, the spring after we moved in, we found water dripping inside from the top of one of the upper level bedroom windows. It wasn't raining, but we had snow on the roof. In the attached picture, I circled where the water was dripping from - the top of the window frame. It dripped through the window blinds attachment and onto the blinds across the entire top. This was a one-time occurrence, and it hasn't happened again (almost 4 years later). There's also a crack in the drywall on the left below this window that's less that 1/8 inch. It has also been there a few years and hasn't changed. I've also included a photo of the exterior of the window for reference.

So now I have a couple new questions...

Given what I described, what could have caused this water entry?

Would it be wise to do full replacement with this window? If so, would you be able to tell the difference if we did inserts for the others to save money? 

TIA for your insights!

• Thomas B
    Original Author
    last year

For some reason my pictures didn't upload with that last post.

• Thomas B
    Original Author
    last year

I've been researching window manufacturers, and here's where I'm at:

• It's been difficult to find Soft-Lite dealers and Okna does not have any distributors/installers in our area.
    • I've had two contractors who specialize in windows stop by the house, and both said triple pane glass isn't needed in our climate, contrary to what was suggested by the experts here. The quotes I've received so far are for double pane windows.
    • Both contractors recommended full frame installation based on the water damage on the master bedroom pair (shown previously in photos). I'm still not 100% sure that's necessary but want to make sure we "do it right" when we replace them.
    • This week I received two Sunrise window quotes, and each contractor also offered an alternative (Hayfield windows from one, and Provia from the other).

Here are the quotes for 3 Twin double hung windows with grids (6 windows, approximately 37 1/2" W X 63" H each):

Quote 1: $11,967

Sunrise V4000

White/golden oak with N2100a glass package and internal grids. Includes pre-finished wood jambs and trim for full frame installation

Option 2: $11,057

Hayfield windows; includes vinyl jambs and trim; full frame installation

Quote 3: $14,441

Sunrise V4000

Color{GOLDEN OAK / WHITE}, S2100A, GLASS BRAND=[Omega 12], SOLARCLEAN, Keeper Sash Grids{TWO TONE GEORGIAN=[2Vx1HC]}, Lock Sash Grids{TWO TONE GEORGIAN=[2Vx1HC]}, Grid Color Match WDW{Default Grid Color}, Grid Color ?{GOLDEN OAK / WHITE}, Accessories{NAILING FIN}, INTERIOR TRIM UNIT, PICTURE FRAME INTERIOR TRIM UNIT - STANDARD, WHITE PAINTED, 2 1/4" COLONIAL CASING - STANDARD, EXT. JAMB DEPTH (DECIMAL FORMAT)=[5], JAMB DEPTH 3 9/16 - 5, STANDARD HARDWARE, STANDARD HALF SCREEN, OPTI-VIEW SCREENING, WHITE MADERA

Quote 4: $12,437

Provia Endure Window - EN600 Series

- Graphite Foam Insulation

- Factory Mulled, Mull Header Cover, Integral Nail Fin, MasterFit Trim System

- Café Cream Poplar Modern 2 1/2" Casing, Café Cream Poplar Traditional Interior Stop, Café Cream Poplar 4 1/2" Jamb Extension

- Ship MasterFit Casing Knocked Down

- Glass -- All Units: - ComforTech DLA-UV, Double Strength Glass, 3/4" IG Thickness

- Colonial (Standard) Contoured Grid - 2V x 2H, White Grids

- Compound Tension Balance System, Snap-In Frame Sash Stops

- INNERGY Thermal Sash Reinforcement

- Extruded Bottom Screen (White) with BetterVue Screen Mesh

I am waiting on one final set of quotes, though I have less trust of this contractor, as he was trashing vinyl windows and said Sunrise couldn't compare to Marvin's fiberglass windows. I asked him to quote me Sunrise Restorations vs Marvin Esssentials (which he was pushing).

My questions:

• Should I push for triple pane? Insert installation?
    • Any opinions on the Provia Endure?
    • I was quite surprised at the cost for just six windows and was thinking we could do this project for under $10,000 - but do these quotes look competitive? Or should I source some additional quotes/manufacturers?

TIA for any insights/recommendations!

TB

• PRO
    last year

Nothing about that bedroom window requires a full tear out to address that rot. And unless that contractor is going to pull the siding and do a new construction application, they are opening up a can of worms and possibly creating a much larger issue.

Where you are...triple pane is probably warranted.

Provia is not the window quality category of Sunrise, Soft-Lite, etc.

Stuff is expensive these days...no doubt. The laminates aren't helping your cause either. That said, 14K is certainly the top of the price range we would expect to see based on those options.

• Thomas B
    Original Author
    5 months ago

In an amazing turn of events, a hail storm damaged our back windows, and because Windsor no longer manufactures them, we will be getting 18 new casement windows and 1 new picture window. The insurance claim started with our roof, but we found the additional damage. The company that has been helping us also installs windows, and their installer really likes the wood Windsor Pinnacle windows or wood windows made by Lincoln. He also said they rarely ever install triple pane windows in our area, because the added cost doesn't offset long term energy savings.

Has anyone had a good experience with these brands? I think we actually may like to keep a wood look to our interior.

• millworkman
    5 months ago

Windsor Pinnacle is a poor window, quality control and quality in general is lacking. Lincoln is even worse. They are called "Leaky Lincolns" for a reason. No pro worth his salt would install either.

• oberon476
    5 months ago

He also said they rarely ever install triple pane windows in our area, because the added cost doesn't offset long term energy savings.

Depends on the additional cost, but beyond that in the cities triples will enhance comfort all winter long as well as virtually eliminate condensation issues. I live just over the St Croix and I would highly recommend triples in our environment.

If you want wood interior then I would also highly suggest that you look at Marvin Signature and Elevate as well as VistaLuxe WD, Ultra, and Heritage from Kolbe and E, A, and 400 series from Andersen.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    5 months ago

Condensation can wreak havoc on a wood window.