Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmariah

Organic Daffodils?

hmariah
last year

Hello! does anyone know where I might be able to buy organic daffodil bulbs for indoor forcing? Thank you!

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

What precisely do you mean by "organic daffodil bulbs"? What criteria do you require for them to be considered "organic"?

FYI, if you live anywhere in the northern hemisphere, it is too late to contemplate forcing daffs for this season.

• hmariah
    Original Author
    last year

Organic meaning there was no use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or other artificial agents.

I won’t be transferring them to the garden, I’m keeping them indoors.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Very few spring flowering bulbs in commercial production are grown organically......less than 0.1%. But a handful of vendors do offer them. I can't make any personal recommendations as I am not familiar with any of them.

tbh, a flower bulb being grown organically or not has NO impact on how well the bulb grows and performs nor are the bulbs any more "safer" if grown indoors. The only overriding concern about the bulbs needing to be organic would be if you intend to consume them. It's not like the flowering bulbs are emitting toxic fumes or dangerous pollen indoors!

And forced bulbs are really only good for a single season anyway. They need to be planted in the ground after forcing in order to recharge the bulbs successfully for flowering in subsequent seasons.

A least you have some time to do some research and perhaps rethink your premise :-) Daffodil bulbs for forcing - organically grown or not - won't be available until late summer or early autumn.

• hmariah
    Original Author
    last year

Daffodils have been used in a traditional method for extracting botanical proportions for use in perfumery called enfleurage which I have been learning about. Im not interested in putting anything on my skin that was grown in pesticides so Im looking for alternatives. I would be growing these indoors and do not need to recharge the bulbs. I’m really just looking to see if there is someone who knows of a farm that sells something like this.

• hmariah
    Original Author
    last year

*botanical properties

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

the simple answer would be to grow some outdoors.. and ripen and gather seed.. and grow your own from start to finish.. any chemicals used on seed momma.. should not be transferred to offspring .... i would expect not anyway ....

since your use is not a pretty flower .. but essential oils.. then anything you get out of a seed pod.. ought to suffice ...

i am surprised the resources you are using to learn about this.. dont address this issue beyond telling you to figure it out ...

ken

• hmariah
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, that’s helpful. Not many resources get that specific honestly. People seem to learn from other people and there are so many flowers you can use that it’s even more difficult to find specifics. I’m trying to learn specific things by asking folks specific questions who may know. There seems to be an abundance of organic bulbs in the UK but sadly they don’t ship here. Thanks so much!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year
    last modified: last year

To get flowering daffodils from seed is going to take several years.

Given that daffodils are toxic in all parts, whether organic or not, I would be very careful using any homemade potions made from them.

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

Agree with floral - Daffodils are TOXIC!!

• beesneeds
    last year

Consuming daffodils is toxic. But they have safely been used in perfume making for a long time. The OP is going to be doing a cold fat extraction method to get the scent for perfume. A fast and dirty version is steeping lavender blossoms in a body oil till it's scented. What the OP is planning is a more complex method that results in a high quality scented fat when done right. Some people do have a contact dermititis reaction to narcissus absolute, particularly when it's made from Narcissus poeticus. So the OP should probably keep away from those if they can.

Organic chemicals are used in organic farming. Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers. I understand that some folks are not OK with synthetic chemicals and want organic ones. But don't fool yourself into thinking they are chemical free. Especially from a commercial farmer, all of them have to use some form of chemicals. There are over a dozen goodly narcissus noted for fragrance suitable in perfume making. I suggest the OP figures out which ones they want to start with and go from there. Look for sellers that have those varieties and are organic. Or can answer the questions of what they use on their farms. Keep an eye out for a local friend that might need help dividing an organic patch or two. If there are local plant sales, ask the vendors how they grow. If you find cut flowers at the farmers market that are particularly nice, start a conversation with the vendor. Could turn out they are organic and might be willing to sell you a couple bulbs when it's time because you have a cool story about what you want to do with them.

• hmariah
    Original Author
    last year

Wow that is extremely helpful. Synthetic pesticides are what I am hoping to avoid. I really appreciate your thoughts.

• Fori
    last year

If you don't need a lot, try advertising on a local group like Nextdoor and see if anyone can help you out. Many of us have naturalized daffodils in our yards. Mine are organic due to negligence...or let's just say I'm not going to mess with something that is doing fine on its own. :)