Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lclark21324

Help with roses

I have some roses in pots that I was storing in my unheated greenhouse for the winter which I then covered in styrofoam cones. So pots heeled in the ground with thick styrofoam cones covering them. I keep a couple roses under styrofoam cones outside not in a greenhouse and it works great. I thought, cones + greenhouse would make for the most superior protection I can offer. Well, in the greenhouse under the cones the roses got insanely moldy. White mold covering everything. Ugh! I didn't check them for like two months which was another bad mistake on my part.

Anyway, I think I lost a couple of them as there appears to be no life in the canes (black and mushy!), but a couple appear to have some life in them.

We still have a lot of winter yet to go here including some forecast below zero temps. I am worried, in their weakened state, if I leave the roses in the greenhouse subjected to these low temps for the rest of winter the roses will say NO MAS and give up the ghost.

My question is can I bring them inside right now, put them in a sunny window and keep them inside for a few months? I am thinking that I may be able to save them if I can bring them out of dormancy now and nurse them back to health asap. Then get them outside once the weather warms. Good idea or bad idea?

Sorry for the long post.

Comments (8)