Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmll12

Can any pendant be converted to track?

jmll12
last year

I am hoping to use a streamlined modern globe pendant over our island to replace our nice but more industrial pendants. Can any pendant light be converted to track (as shown here) or if not, what are the requirements or limitations of this set-up?

Comments (17)

• mtvhike
    last year

From your pictures, it looks like your pendants are hanging from tracks, so no conversion is needed. Just buy the correct track fixtures.

jmll12 thanked mtvhike
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year
    last modified: last year

It looks like your track has a pendant adapter. I'm assuming your replacement fixture will need to be wired through the connection.

Pendant adapters are not universal so you need to reuse the ones you have.

Juno pendant adaptors only work on Juno Track

The same follows for ALL tracks just like light heads only work with the matching track.

jmll12 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • wdccruise
    last year

Pendant track adapters:

jmll12 thanked wdccruise
  • mtvhike
    last year

Sorry, 3onthetree, I assumed the OP would select a pendant compatible with their existing system. I have two systems in my house. One uses 120-volt tracks and the transformer is in each fixture and the other is a low voltage one with hanging pendants.

jmll12 thanked mtvhike
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

you can reuse those adaptors, just dont get anything to heavy, as it will pull away from the track.

jmll12 thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • jmll12
    Original Author
    last year

I really appreciate all the prompt, helpful input to my question. I purchased DweLED Niveous pendants (similar to those shown here) and were told that they are unfortunately not compatible with our current system even with the adapter. Of course I had not considered that before hand (my fault entirely). On a happy note, we are moving so will take the purchased lights with us to the new digs. Still, I had hoped to show the house with something more modern than what we have. From what I gather here, we aren't likely to find something similar that will work with the track, even with the conversion, based on other pendants I've seen in this category. Thank you all, again!

Malibu Farm House · More Info

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

im not following how they are not compatible?

• wdccruise
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC: "Im not following how they are not compatible?"

They're hung with downrods, not cords, which must be able to be attached to an adapter that's both sized for the downrod threads and compatible with the track...an adapter that apparently doesn't exist.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

@wdccruise

" They're hung with downrods, not cords, which must be able to be attached to an adapter that's both sized for the downrod threads and compatible with the track...an adapter that apparently doesn't exist. "

The current ones have down rods, and thats a matter of a loop on the top threaded into to the down rod, and an adaptor with the hook, which is what they have now. If you do cord hung then you get the one for cord. so ya Im still not following what the problem is. The ones they bought have cord which is easier than a rod.

• wdccruise
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC: "The ones they bought have cord which is easier than a rod."

"I purchased DweLED Niveous...": "Includes Three 12.00 in., One 6.00 in. stem/downrods"

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Again they have rods now. and if i had to guess based on the provided photo they are using 2 12 and a 6 or just 2 12 all I am saying is it can be done.

• jmll12
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, all, again. Reading your helpful and kind replies, I have been hoping our electrician would have a similar response. Unfortunately, he gave us more clarity by stating that the problem is that each fixture has a driver that needs to be recessed up into the ceiling which won’t work with the track. Thank you all again.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Ah... that makes sense !

• jmll12
    Original Author
    last year

I should have read the specs and checked with the electrician first. Lesson learned!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

drivers are pesky and need a married dimmer just make sure when you do install them the right light switch is in place.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

You might be better off replacing the track and accounting for an LED driver somewhere accessible. Tech Lighting (now owned by Visual Comfort) makes a great system for low voltage track pendants and they have lots of fixtures to choose from, especially if you like that modern, minimal style. They have both a rail system and a cable system, depending on which style you prefer. In any event, talk to a reputable lighting dealer who carries this product and they can advise which pieces you need.