Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artinnature

Five more days of blech!

artinnature
last year

Is anyone else in the Northwest completely over this dreadful weather? Five more cold days with mornings near freezing for us here in the West Willamette Valley, after that its supposed to improve dramatically, finally. We've had six snow events this winter, with a chance for another on Monday April 3.

The silver lining is that this painfully slow spring warmup prevents (almost, see below) everything from leafing out/blooming too early, risking damage when the temperature plummets again, which is what happened last year.

But one of my plants, Hydrangea macrophylla 'Spike', planted on the north side, in as much shade as I can manage, is leafing out extremely early...again, just like it did last year, and all of the foliage ended up being blackened by a hard freeze in April. Very strange, must be something in it's genetics.

Comments (15)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Klark, it must depend on where in the northwest one is located :-) Here in Kitsap county, we have just gone through 7-10 days of nearly perfect spring weather!! Sunny, highs around 60F, night times in the 40's. I've been busy getting things cut back and cleaned up after winter. ALL of my hydrangeas have leafed out, as have about half of my Japanese maple collection........but then I do not expect any big freezes going forward. Our typical last frost date is 3/26 and I have not had any frost at my house since sometime in February. Might help that I am so close to the Sound :-)

Do you think your weather is being influenced by the storms hitting California?

• artinnature
    Original Author
    last year

Believe me Pam, I know how much better you have it up there, I check regularly! And yes this is definitely related to the awful weather in N Cal. There was no respite in Gold Beach or even Brookings while we were down there. There were a bunch of zone 9 trees in the little botanical garden in Brookings that were broken by snow!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

I love the rain but I’m tired of the freezing temps between 5-7 am. All of my plants are fine but my darn cuttings have to keep going in and out. They were fine during the winter freezes cause they were dormant but now that they’ve woken up every yime I leave the rose cuttings out I lose some

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

LOL! Klark, I was in Edmonds last week on a beautiful balmy and sunny early spring day. As in my area, everything was popping out! Do you miss it at all?

• artinnature
    Original Author
    last year

"I’m tired of the freezing temps between 5-7 am"

Yes, that is the worst part, a lot of things are growing now, but the freezing temps continue. This is simply not a proper gardening climate, like, say, areas immediately adjacent to the Salish Sea in Washington...looking at you Pam!

Of course we miss it (but not the incessant aircraft noise!) we just could not afford it any longer, and leaving (selling) a place like that always means that you instantly have $. This spot is a tradeoff, much more affordable than Salem or Corvallis but also colder, with more rain and snow.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I completely understand........the same reasoning prompted my move from my house and garden in Shoreline. I was just fortunate to relocate to an even more benign gardening climate than I enjoyed there!

I miss you guys. Bit longer than a 30 minute ferry ride for a visit now. 😒

btw, the trillium is blooming.

• joypdx
    last year

Portland is definitely behind by 4 weeks for spring. This has been a strange winter although there has been gradual trend in last few years. Camellia Japinica used to bloom by begining of Feb if I remember correctly, has finally bloomed only in April this year. Summers are staying longer and fall arriving later. Not sure what is going on in other zones but 2023 appears to be headed for a shorter growing season.

• artinnature
    Original Author
    last year

Wow that's great to hear about 'Volcano' blooming already! I was at Dancing Oaks yesterday and there was a lot of stuff blooming, Hundreds of Hellebores, dozens of different types of bulbs, some of their Manzanitas, Corylopsis and Daphnes, to name a few. I picked up a Dichroa febrifuga (I've never tried this one, anyone growing this in OR or WA?) and Fothergilla gardenii 'Jane Platt'. And at PDX on Monday there was a row of flowering cherries that appeared to be in full bloom.

• SeniorBalloon
    last year

The thread title has been applicable for far too lon g. :0)

• artinnature
    Original Author
    last year

Right!? It's absurd, this is the most persistently cold & wet spring pattern that I can recall. Although very, very late, so far most of my plants seem to be taking it in stride.

• SeniorBalloon
    last year

Looks like our 5 days of blech will soon be coming to an end. Hallelujah!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Coming to an end for maybe 4 days :-) At least in my area. After that, back to much like what we have experienced for the better part of last month.......or more. The beginning of May is not looking great.

I am trying to finish up as much indoor business as possible in the next couple of days so I can maximize time spent in the garden while the sun shines. Before I poop out from lack of energy, that is.

• SeniorBalloon
    last year

I'm sure there will be more rain-dodging days ahead, but I'm taking next week off to work in the garden and I see some possible temps in the 70's and I hope it holds.

• artinnature
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yesterday was incredible! Went to Al's Garden Center in Woodburn, Bauman's Farm in Gervais and then Sebright north of Salem. Sebright has drop dead gorgeous display gardens! Don't let the the fact that they specialize in Hostas deter you from visiting, as I had, up until yesterday. The gardens contain all of the coolest plants...Trilliums were amazing, but tons of cool woodies as well (Daphniphyllum!) Time to go out and figure out where to plant everything.

Supposed to be 80F here by Friday, yay.