Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_312158488

Lost Power to Entire Detached Garage

Kenlee Salter
last year

This evening I came home from work and noticed our motion lights not working, as well as the security camera attached to the detached garage. The power has been run from the house to the garage. I went inside and turned the breaker off for the garage, as it was still on. I came on here and found a few discussions of what might help but they related to GFCI’s. I asked my husband (who’s at work) if it was possible that there’s a GFCI in the garage to flip, and he says that there aren’t any out there. It’s dark out now so I didn’t try to look around. The only thing using power from the garage were the lights at the camera at the time. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? The house has GFCI plugs but NOT the garage! House was built in 1953 for reference of age. Not sure the age of the garage, but appears to be old as well, especially without the GFCI’s. I appreciate any help. We are new homeowners!

Comments (8)

• Kenlee Salter
    Original Author
    last year

^^^ I forgot to add that the electrical was replaced in the house in 2019 when they remodeled it. Not sure about the garage, I would assume so since the garage had power via the house? All new stuff to me but I’d really like to learn!!

• Seabornman
    last year

Did you try flipping breaker back to on? Sometimes the breaker is tripped but not flipping fully. Does wire go below ground?

• Kenlee Salter
    Original Author
    last year

Yes we tried that! And yes the wiring is underground. Still no power to the garage

• dennisgli
    last year

In the garage can you see where the wiring comes in from underground? I'd check at the entry point to see if you are getting power there.

• Kenlee Salter
    Original Author
    last year

Entry point meaning the door, or where the current is coming in? I have no idea where to look for the wiring out there😅

• kudzu9
    last year

The garage may be supplied by a circuit in the house that has a GFCI. Even if there isn't a GFCI somewhere in the garage that you're not aware of doesn't mean this is not GFCI-related. If you can't find a tripped GFCI anywhere, and you probably don't know how to trace or test a circuit, you may need to get an electrician to help.

• User
    last year

Your garage should have a panel, just like the house. That is where to test if there is power that is coming in, but is getting stopped by a breaker in the garage panel.

• kevin9408
    last year

As Dewayne said there should be a panel in the garage but it may not look like the one in the house especially if the house panel was replaced in 2019 ( I hope ) but the one in the garage is original to 1953. The 1953 panel will just be a disconnect with or without fuses, and with fuses they may be screw in plug fuse or a buss fuse about 2" long. Look for a small box 6" by 8" with a handle on it, open it and see if there are fuses in it. What comes next is up to you, pull and check the fuses or have someone do it for you.

another problem is If the underground wire from the breaker to the garage is original to 1953 they did not make very good plastic polymers back then and the wire coating could have disintegrated, cracked and wire exposed to the soil. Copper normally doesn't corrode but it may corrode through involving 5 different soil conditions. In other words a wire is broken and needs to be checked with a continuity test to verify a busted wire.