Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james_hartley75

Bathroom tile help

James
last year

Looking for some help with our bathroom tile. We initially picked the darker tile on the right and bought the tile. But when i lay them out im not sure. The wall will be white subway, and the base will be a mosaic type hexagon tile shown in the picture. Vanity will be white with black fixtures. Would a lighter tile like the one on the right look better? Or a hexagon floor tile? helppp lol :)

Comments (43)

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

What is the curb? What is the countertop material? Will your whites match (subway and vanity)?

• James
    Original Author
    last year

We havent bought them yet, but curb and countertop will be white quartz

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

I prefer the light in all choices... it's amazing how dark a room can look, even when you think your choices are light.

regardless of 'match' light on light is always fresh, especially in a bathroom. add the color in accesories.

• Kate
    last year

I prefer the lighter as well and will help blend your whites if they are a bit off.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

We can not answer anything until we see all materials together. Right now everything you will be selecting is ‘white’. White is the hardest to get right as when one is off then they whole space seems off. Post all of the materials together in one shot. The grey floor may be the better choice if one of those whites screams ‘I don’t belong here’. Looking at whites independently from one another is the biggest rookie mistake most people make.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Not to mention white grout is the hardest to keep looking clean so don’t forget to look at grout samples now with everything all together.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Also, how are you ending the tile - Schluter? If so what finish (if it’s white Schluter you’ll want to see that with your tile)

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Lastly, you say black fixtures - are you mixing metal or will you have all black everywhere? All black everywhere can be the most chaotic look in an all white space. I’d suggest carefully mixing metals so the black is in minimal areas (think mirror and hardware)….a light metal on your shower glass will visually ‘go away more’ which can make a space feel lighter, brighter, bigger. Think carefully about metal.

• lbafundesign
    last year

It appears to be a small bath that is going to be all white with black fixtures. I would do your floor in a black and white pattern.

• maureen214
    last year

I like the darker tile for the floor. It will add some contrast and will not show every spot like white tile tends to.

• jillmauro
    last year

I'm not a fan of all white but in this case, I like it better than the gray. As mentioned above, pick a grout that will tie in all the whites and the black fixtures. I would avoid white grout unless you want to spend time cleaning it and refreshing the grout often.

• Ann Durrin
    last year

The advantage of the darker choice is that it's more forgiving for stray hair, etc. However, I prefer the lighter choices. Personally, I LOVE hex tiles; they have more interest than the slabs. You really must put all of your sample materials together at once. You'll be shocked to find great variation between your choices. It's impossible to to achieve harmony by memory, particularly with whites and neutrals.

• Rhonda Keck
    last year

I like the gray flooring best. I'm not into all white anything.

• srds
    last year

I went with a lighter tile in both our guest and master baths and regret it every day. I thought it had enough of a pattern to hide dirt and hair but no. Everything shows on it. Go with the darker. I also think a darker tile grounds the room. Try the darker hex if you are unsure.

• srds
    last year

One additional comment…the darker one you show has a somewhat busy pattern. That may bug you after time. Maybe something darker but more uniform would be better.

• jln34
    last year

We installed the same lighter 12x24 tile in our master bath and I love it, but others are correct, it shows every hair, make up powder, etc. of course I’m going to sweep it regularly anyway, but it’s not forgiving if you have a visitor pop in. I would consider the darker floor and polished nickel or chrome fixtures. Those would tie in with the gray floor and you will have a lovely bathroom you can decorate anyway you want because it will be neutral enough and you won’t have black bossing you around. I would at the very least, use a silver finish on the plumbing (faucet, shower head, etc). Good luck! I understand how hard it is to make these decisions.

• Marilyn
    last year

Our tile guy says he’s planning to use a new grout that’s light, stain-resistant and can be sealed.

• roarah
    last year

The darker has a nice movement to it and looks more like a real stone.

• Nancy Hebert
    last year

I like the idea of the darker tile and the contrast it will have against the white. If anything I would rethink the white subway tiles. I am redoing a bath right now and had to resist my designers urge to do subway tile.

• Mimi Branham
    last year

The darker will provide contrast and ground the room. Those are a nice medium shade of grey.

• aniluap2
    last year

I think the darker tile will add some depth to the bathroom and make it look more interesting. However, you should keep all the floor tile a consistent color. Therefore, replace the white hex with a gray hex or mosaic that matches the floor tile. This will optically expand the space rather than chopping it off with a change of floor color in the shower.

• terrib962
    last year

Buy some Armstrong VCT tile - much softer and nicer. Not much is uglier than ceramic or porcelain tile, especially in grey tones - use whites. The reason you are not seeing it like you want it and cannot figure out what exactly is off (not the color), is the tile itself is wrong. If using the little hexagon old-fashioned tiles in shower, the new ugly modern tile clashes with it. VCT will last forever and you can use several colors. Or use hexagon tiles in the entire room.

• gustaviatex
    last year

If you use the darker large format tile consider a herringbone pattern like below. It minimizes the repeat of the movement. Have your tilesetter lay it out to make sure you like the look. The lighter tile would also look good in this pattern.

• zmorillo
    last year

We have white hex tile in the powder room and it does show all the dirt and hair.  We used a dark gray in the master bathroom and it's easier to maintain for sure.

• jessicanesh
    last year

From someone who had an all white bathroom for the past 15 years…unless you are willing to clean and bleach the bathroom pretty much every day don’t do it. Yes, all white bathrooms photograph well but actually are not very practical in daily use as noted above. Also trying to match white finishes is difficult. Another great idea would be to use the white hexagon tile on the walls instead of the white subway tile and use the darker slab on the floor. Also play with the floor tiles and lay them out in different patterns. Try laying them both horizontally and vertically in different patterns. And make sure you have all your samples together and look at them together at different times of the day under different lighting. I did this with all three of the bathrooms that we have remodeled within the last year. It really helps.

• Jan DeFranco
    last year

Hi James.
    Personally, I like the gray floor tile, mostly for cleaning purposes. Trying to match whites (or grays) is too hard, coordinating is the key. The shower floor tile should be your transition point. The hex shape is fine but maybe find one that better combines the other colors. A marble with a lighter white background with the gray and/or darker veining.

Honestly, the focal point is not the shower floor. It’s not as noticeable walking into the room as the main floor & shower walls. Again, my opinion, but I wouldn’t stagger or offset BOTH tiles. It gets busy seeing 2 different rectangular sizes, colors, & materials even if you’re going in the same direction.

Since the “subway” tile is traditionally set in a bricklay pattern, I’d say stick with that being your offset feature installed HORIZONTALLY. That will make the shower appear larger. If you want to make a statement, pick a gray grout that compliments the main floor tile color.

For the main gray floor tile, I’d install it in a straight VERTICAL pattern. Follow the flow into the room toward your beautiful shower area. Do you or will you have a niche in the wall for your shampoo, body wash etc.? If so and if it’s visible coming into the room, use the shower hex tile inside it. ❤️

I hope my vision of your new bathroom design helps you. Good Luck, share pics after!

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

We did a silver, so not too light, not dark. Used polished for shower walls, and unpolished for floor.

It replaced a white tile floor and that awful, as mentioned, you see everything.

I'm confused. are you planning that hex for the shower floor?

• Jan DeFranco
    last year

My daughter always says I’m “extra” but really I just love helping people with their home designs or projects. Found a few reference pics for you. 😊

• Christine Botti
    last year

Light is always best , clean looking and spa like 😊

• blue skies
    last year

I believe I purchased and used the light field tile that you're considering. Color is called bianco and it’s a very light gray with subtle white marbling. I used it in my small bathroom and love it. I considered the grey that you purchased but thought it would darken the room too much. I also considered a similar hexagon but did not want all that grout on the floor. My bathroom has white subway tile and mid gray paint. I’m very happy with the bianco tile. Pic below.

• James
    Original Author
    last year

Hard to tell in the pic, but this is the shower base. The color varies and its a bit shiny

• James
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

The shower wall will be a wavy type, white tile. Like this pic, and installed vertically

• Druanne
    last year

The lighter rectangular tile looks better.

• Composer
    last year

A few things to consider. Use a matte finish for the floor tile so that slipping on wet tile is reduced. Your lighter large tile has a lot of movement in it with variations of white against light gray and should do well without necessarily showing up every little spec of dirt. The darker tile is pretty but seems to show some rosy tones, something to consider if you want a clean neutral look. If the tile is rectified, the edges are squared off and it can be laid with minimal grout lines - grout is harder to clean, even if it is sealed, match it to the darkest tone of your tile so that it disappears. Large format tile needs a very even floor so that it lays smoothly; if your floor is uneven at all, use the large hex tile for your flooring for a better level fit. Good luck with your project and have fun with it!

• PRO
    Functionality Home
    last year

As a flooring professional I would be concerned about the shower waterproofing, does the Kerdi cloth go all the way up the wall? Using red guard along with Schluter is a red flag to me. If you use a good grout /Laticrete, Mapei they have polymers & do not need to be sealed, Should Not be sealed!
    If you can return tile perhaps consider something in the middle that has coordinating shower floor mosaics/for a spa feel I suggest keeping the tiles the same so it doesn’t disrupt the eye.
    In the end it is your bathroom, get what you like & stop the overthinking….it happens to all of us!

• James
    Original Author
    last year

Thx for the comments everyone. This is another option, how does this look? With a white vanity and black fixtures

• jln34
    last year

I’m a fan of hex tile. I would vote for it out of the 3. Question-can you match the shower floor tile to it? The small hexes don’t appear to match but maybe it’s just the picture.

• jessicanesh
    last year

Much better choice for the floor tile! And I agree that if you could match the smaller hex for the shower floor with the larger hex for the main floor that would look amazing. And another thing you could do is use the shower floor tile in a shower niche if you are doing one. Something similar to this…

• Sofia
    last year

The smaller hex for shower floor looks a bit yellow-ish on my screen. If there’s a mosaic available that coordinates with the larger bathroom floor hex, that would be my first choice. If not, I’d look for a mosaic that combines the shower floor and shower wall colors.

Have you already bought the vanity? If so, let’s take a look at the tiles with the vanity. There’s a chance that the white vanity and shower wall tile won’t play nicely together.

• paperdiva
    last year

The bathroom floor color doesn't need to be the same color as the shower pan. The white tile on the shower will go with anything. What color is the vanity? As long as the floor tile goes with the vanity I think you will be fine. In my kids bathroom I have the typical white tub and white walls but gray floor and navy vanity and a white counter.

• bkeith
    last year

Those large darker floor tiles look too busy. Too much busy-ness is not good and will look dated faster.

• bellawolfgang
    last year

The dark greyfloors with white hex for walls is what we used and it turned out well. The movement in that type of floor tile makes it feel more like stone that other floor tiles we considered. Plus safe for a bathroom floor.