Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_sandler93

help with plant

Matt Sandler
11 months ago

I was wondering if someone can assist. I just can’t seem to get this plant to thrive. It has some strange colored leaves. Other leaves had holes in it which I removed. I’ve moved it to all different areas of light. The leaves are curled. The only thing I can think is it needs to be repotted? Its still in a small plastic pot. I have fertilized it a couple times. Tbh, it looked similar a week or so after I got it.

Comments (6)

• Matt Sandler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Pics

• Matt Sandler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Pics

• Matt Sandler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Anyone know what type of plant this is?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

@Matt Sandler Yes, Ficus benghalensis. If you would like to read up on it's Long Term Care and Cultural Wants, use the link.

There is definitely something awry with your plant, but nothing to make me think the planting needs a larger pot, in fact, I think the spoiled foliage is related to over-watering, and a larger pot would only exacerbate the limitations associated with too much water and too little air in the grow medium.

The reason I suspect too much water is the culprit is in the visual cues the images provides. Too much water in the soil and/or soil compaction limits calcium uptake because movement of Ca to the xylem (tissue through which water/nutrients flow from roots to shoots) is restricted to the extreme root tip and to regions in which lateral roots are being initiated. So, only the finest of roots are able to take up Ca. unfortunately, the finest roots are the first to succumb to anaerobic conditions related to over-watering and soil compaction.

To strengthen the idea you're over-watering, we can look at new leaves and see they have the signature distortion a Ca deficiency would present. Ca must be in the nutrient streams at all times at an appropriate level if cells/tissue are to form normally. When the flow of Ca is interrupted or insufficient, cells cannot form normally. Weak cell walls and leakage of cell contents into intracellular spaces causes weak spots which result in holes, tears, and the distortion already mentioned.

This doesn't mean you need to run out and buy a product that contains Ca, because there is likely enough Ca in the grow medium. What's occurring is a 'cultural deficiency' which occurs when environmental conditions prevent uptake of a nutrient which is available, but for the issue of over-watering, which makes it unavailable.

It looks like the tree is in a nursery can, so it has drain holes, right?

How deep would you say the soil column is (depth of soil)?

How do you make the determination it's time to water?

Does your home utilize a water softening system that uses?

What do you fertilize with? how much? how often? it's NPK %s?

Can you provide an image of the plant and pot that shows where it's sited relative to the closest natural light source, please.

Don't worry - not a major issue yet. You'll be able to get your plant back on track soon. Also, it would be good to know where you live. Some parts of the care regimen are timing sensitive and where you live determines the timing; plus, it helps to know what type of climate you're growing in, so we're not guessing about things only to find you live at the south pole and we're telling you to put your plants on the porch when spring arrives.

Al

• Matt Sandler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Al, thank you so much for your time here. I will take a read and implement the changes. 🙏

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 months ago

Please keep us posted; and if you have any questions .......

Al