Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_fishman

Decorating fireplace with shelves

Terri Fishman
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Hello all!

Should i wallpaper the back tv wall with navy grasscloth wall paper or just the inside of the shelves?

Or should i wall paper both behind shelves and tv wall?

areas?

Comments (31)

• Maureen
    11 months ago

I would skip the fireplace, but paint it the same color as bookcases. Once bookcases are complete, suggest rethinking how shelves are accessorized and be patient/look for on line help

• la_la Girl
    11 months ago

I agree and would start with the paper just behind the shelves - are the shelves removeable? Having fewer shelves would give you more height and enable you to have larger/fewer accessories, which would simplify the look a bit

Terri Fishman thanked la_la Girl
  • ptreckel
    11 months ago

LOVE your room! Yes to placing the navy paper just behind your shelves. It will look fabulous!

Terri Fishman thanked ptreckel
  • nelliebean
    11 months ago

I think the paper should go just behind the shelves. Just a suggestion, but could you remove some of the shelving on the left side and put the tv in there? Put a large painting above the fireplace. Then maybe remove a shelf on the right side as well so you can display larger things. I think the shelves were made for books originally and since you aren't displaying books it might be an easy solution

Terri Fishman thanked nelliebean
  • chloebud
    11 months ago

Agree with painting the TV wall the same color as the shelves and editing the items on the shelves.

Also agree art would be lovely over the fireplace, if possible.

Terri Fishman thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

Not sure the texture of the grasscloth will be apparent once installed on the back wall of the shelves. Paint might suffice.

Terri Fishman thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Jilly
    11 months ago

I wrote a long post and lost it. Ugh.

My preference would be everything, especially as wide as your shelves are, but I think either would look great.

I like just the shelves in these first two pics because the grasscloth is a lighter color, not so contrasting, and the shelves are more recessed and not as wide (as well as more pronounced architectural features being a factor):

I like these styles with everything papered:

I think doing all of it would fit your room well and look nicely cohesive. It’d be a great entire accent wall and really show off the grasscloth.

Whatever you decide, please show afters. :)

• Fori
    11 months ago

I'd do it all, too. One benefit of doing it all would be lessening the impact of the TV by camouflaging it somewhat.

• highdesertowl
    11 months ago

I would remove two shelves (every other) on each side, even if I had to saw them off, sand, and repaint. The narrow height of these shelves seriously limits what you can do with decor and forces you into using cluttery, small, dustables.

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you all SO much! the shelves are sadly not removeable. we had them made too narrow!😞

• julesnbuttons
    11 months ago

Perhaps a small preference for painting/putting the navy paper behind the shelves only. (It looks beautiful already, by the way!)

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Lol, now i really want to remove those

shelves always thought they were too narrow! The wall paper is removable, so I could do the back of the shelves easily myself!

• Maureen
    11 months ago

To help, accessories should have a connection, with interesting pieces of various shapes, textures and volume; alternating placement so it doesn’t feel lined up.

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you for that very thoughful comment.

• amykath
    11 months ago

@Terri Fishman, you have a gorgeous room. I love your wall with the tv, molding and shelving. It looks very elegant and so well put together. I am so sorry what HU said.

It is wrong, cruel and I 100% disagree. This is not the first time I have seen this type of behavior from her and others.

Your response was very mature. Good for you!

Terri Fishman thanked amykath
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    11 months ago

I don't really see the need for wallpaper. Your fireplace and shelving look great. If you are going to install wall paper I would suggest applying it to the rear wall within the shelving area similar to what is often done with large pieces of furniture with shelving.

• ptreckel
    11 months ago

Lovely! Go for it!

• la_la Girl
    11 months ago

Oh that looks NICE!

• amykath
    11 months ago

Nice work! I think the wallpaper will look fantastic. Looking forward to more photos!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

Looks great..no need for too many accessories! Small framed art is a nice addition leaning on back of shelves too. I add peel and stick wallpaper on the back of mine super easy.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

It was a black herringbone with fieacjs if gold

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Gorgeous!

• gtdj519
    11 months ago

Do the wallapper Terri! i think you are on the right path. Great improvement already with shelf removals. The wallpaper will take it up another notch.

Definatlety go for it!!

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ok! That’s for the “push!”

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you for the “push” ! Lol

• gtdj519
    11 months ago

Youre welcome!! I too go very mixed opinions regarding the use of wallpaper. I went with my gut, and have zero regrets.. The results exceeding my expectations and turned out fabulous.

You have a beautiful space that can be elevated even further. I think it will be a gorgeous feature wall with the wallpaper added.

i am not sure if you are considering any other small changes, but I think a gold chandelier / light fixture would look beautiful with the navy wallpaper - it would compliment the gold hardware/ fireplace screen that you already you have in place. Nothing wrong at all with your current fixture ; I only suggest it because sometimes when we change one room element, a few others end up following up behind to tie it all together -LOL. so in case you decide to change it, thats my suggetion😊

please post once done I would love to see it! You have a lovely space to work with.

• highdesertowl
    11 months ago

YES! So glad you removed those extra shelves! The choice to use wallpaper as a backing really depends IMO on what you plan to place on the shelves. Colorful or seasonal decor can really get lost in front of a darker paper. I love the white/light as a backdrop for plants, books, pictures, candles, baskets, etc. If I was going to do a wallpaper here, I would probs go with a light, neutral "grass cloth" or tweedy removeable paper.

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Done! Next, I need to do behind tv! Thanks for all the guidance ya’all !

• Terri Fishman
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Does anyone know where there is a program on the computer that can illustrate this cabinet in navy and white?

• Jilly
    21 days ago

Looks fantastic, Terri!