Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Long Live Bunny Guinness!

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

I found a British landscape designer named Bunny Guinness with her own channel on Youtube who is extraordinary. This is a person who is designing gardens for TV stars and Kings, and she definitely has the skills to make those kinds of clients happy. Some of the things that I love about her design style:

* She has an amazing sense of space, vertically and in two dimensions. She really excels at pulling off formal gardens like Italian / Mediterranean designs with lots of statues and formal pots.

* She has a trademark habit of planting large trees into bottomless containers. This creates the illusion of a container planting when actually the pot is just a raised bed and the roots are in the ground. This creates very formal structure in her designs and key trees have artistic pots at their base. I linked her main video that shows how she does this in my thread here.

* She has a great knowledge of plants and tends to use large numbers of the same plant to create patterns in large garden areas. She knows how to use trees to completely change how space in an area is perceived. Notice in the rose garden in the video I link below how she surrounds the garden with tall trees to create a sense of enclosure for the garden. There is no formal hedge and leaving space between the trees creates a sense of openness while at the same time creating a border for the rose garden that makes you aware that you are in a specific space.

I randomly picked one of her designs so you can see how each of the points I make here is being applied in different garden areas on one enormous estate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE3F7E2UAqc

Considering just how good she is I am surprised she does not have hundreds of thousands of followers. If you are a garden junky, I promise you will be watching at least one of her videos every week. These are the kinds of gardens I wish I could own.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!