Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyclearfork

HUGE MISTAKE! Please help fix what my ex did.

Kelly Nelson
11 months ago

My ex-husband and I ageeed to add a shed dormer to a rental house garage. I assumed we both understood what a shed dormer was (why would I think my ex and I could ever communicate?!). I left for a two-week vacation and came back to this. OMG. How do I fix it??

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 months ago

In your ex's defense, did anyone do any drawings before this was done? Pulled a photograph of the look you wanted? If not, then there's all kinds of room for misinterpretation.

If this is more of what you were after,

then I don't see how this isn't a complete do-over. Find an architect and get drawings done.

Kelly Nelson thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

That is exactly what I wanted. Before I go to a complete do-over, I’d like to explore other possible solutions.

• Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Maybe a larger window and shutters, and/or carry the stone all the way up, or make the other roofline the same and fox the point? I have no idea but I’d rather put more $ into doing more than starting over, if possible.

• deegw
    11 months ago

Do you have a pic of the before?

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago

you can still add a dormer.

Kelly Nelson thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Mrs. S
    11 months ago

Wow, this seems like a purposeful misinterpretation of what you wanted.

I get it with ex-husbands, believe me, but were there permits filed? and how were there no drawings that you ever saw?

Since this is a rental, I think a cost-benefit analysis is in order. Were you trying to increase square footage or what?

How much usable square footage is up there and what will it rent for and computing present value of future increased rents etc should give you an idea of what it's worth to spend.

Maybe you can get a GC out there to spitball some ideas and potential costs. But will your husband even desire to go forward with any fix? Or is he thrilled with the outcome?

I hope you don't wish to continue to stay in business with your ex. It must be awful.

Kelly Nelson thanked Mrs. S
  • Anna Devane
    11 months ago

I have to say even though it’s not what you wanted kudos to him for accomplishing that in ”2 weeks”

Kelly Nelson thanked Anna Devane
  • Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@palimpsest i love this idea!! thank you!

• Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Mrs. S no drawings and I accept the blame. I know the ex knows what a shed dormer is supposed to look like, so either he didn’t explain it to the guy he hired or he ignored my request and did what he wanted anyway. Permits are not required in the rural area this house is in. The purpose of the dormer was to add space so we can create a guest studio for the main house. This definitely maximizes the space but at a great aesthetic cost.

• Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@deegw No photo, just picture the same roofline that is on the other side

• Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Lyn Nielson can you elaborate please?

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago

add the dormer that @Sabrina Alfin Interiors shows...

• Susan Davis
    11 months ago

Shed dormers look simple but are ultimately very $$$$$$$$$$ that is why Hubs did what he did.....money, or lack of, drives all building decisions.

• Andrew
    11 months ago

The less expensive version of scraping and rebuilding the whole thing include:

1. palimpsest's solution.

2. palimpsest's solution, but also on at least the garage door side, cut back the "dormer" 2 to 4 feet and restore the original roof line in that area. Also extend an eave like the other side along the base of the dormer. This will save some of the construction effort and limit the amount of re-framing while getting the final result closer to your vision.

• Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Andrew by ”extend an eave” do you mean echo the other roofline like Pamlimpsest drew?

• Andee
    11 months ago

OK, it's a shock to you, but doesn't really look too bad to a new viewer. On the door entrance side, put a porch/deck that extends toward the right on the picture. The doorway needs weather protection in any event. Is it possible on the garage side to put in another window? The existing one is built over the stone wall "pillar" between the two doors. The new one could be over the stone at the far left in the picture. Can you plant anything evergreen at the back corner on the left to soften the sheerness of the addition? Overall, if palimsest's suggestion could be implemented, that would be best.

Kelly Nelson thanked Andee
  • Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thankfully, the finish carpenter took one look and started fixing it immediately a la @palimpsest suggestion. I didn’t even have to talk to him for him to recognize it was not acceptable as is :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

Thank goodness for good people. I would recommend that carpenter to everyone I ever spoke to again. That adjustment makes a world of difference.

Kelly Nelson thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • RedRyder
    10 months ago

Feed that carpenter dinner for the next month. What a life-saver.

• Kelly Nelson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@RedRyder @BeverlyFLADeziner ABSOLUTELY!! He's a gem! Unfortunately, he's retired, but a neighbor, so he said he'd help out. They don't make them like Mr. Cooper any more.