Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline_tong

The Ingenious Mr Fairchild, so difficult but totally worth it.

So about four years ago I read about the Ingenious Mr Fairchild rose from the Heirloom Roses website and immediately thought I had to have it. The idea of a rose which looks like a pink peony but continually blooms is a must have for me. I got the rose and put it front and center in my yard. At this point I have many roses and it turned out this one is by far the most difficult. It lacks vigor, had black spots on seriously puny leaves for three years. I did get flowers right away and indeed it had the form of a tiny peony but it didn’t have that incredible drama I imagined. The petals were wafer paper thin and flops and the flowers just underwhelms. Still I saw the potential but no matter what I tried it wasn’t working. I have pulled out roses I just didn’t love plenty of times and normally I would have yanked it out but for some reason I got super stubborn with this one. I think the idea of that pink peony all summer long was just too hard to pass up. Instead I went to the David Austin site and ordered another one, I thought maybe that whole own root thing from Heirloom was the problem. For the second one I put in a pot. I fed both with lots of banana peels and coffee grinds and turned up the watering. And most importantly I added support to the plant. This rose definitely do not have strong stems and vigor like many others but once it is healthy it has a gorgeous from and has an unparalleled romance. And once the plants are healthy, the blooms look as they should and they are gorgeous! Oh and the fragrance is also very unique. Less like a rose scent but full honey and lemon, similar to the lemon honey tea I use to get as a child back in Hong Kong diners.

Here’s to being stubborn, I love this not so popular rose.

Comments (15)

• rosecanadian
    11 months ago

Oh my!!! Incredible peony-like beauty...and it reblooms! I'm really glad you persevered. :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    11 months ago

Beautiful, Jacqueline!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    11 months ago

Hanging in there and a bit of stubbornness really paid off. What a fabulous rose. Well done!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 months ago

Yours is gorgeous. Ive had this rose own root from back when Heirloom was still selling bands. Its been in a pot and has stayed puny. The flowers are beautiful but infrequent. It gets some black spot but recovers. I wouldnt mind trying it grafted onto fortuniana.

• Jacqueline Tong _ Seattle Zone 8b
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@sultry_jasmine_nights, I have both from David Austin and Heirloom and they both do great this spring. Watering is important with this one. In the past I thought if I just water deeply once every few days it is okay like all my other roses. But now I water more frequently with less water and my original Heirloom plant immediately do better. Still no strong stems…but it has a look, like some old English rose that drapes elegantly, particularly in a container. And it has very little thorns, so it is best to put it by a path as a rose you discover walking by and smell instead of one making a statement in a border. This rose blooms the most frequent and earliest, but as a smaller plant. All my other roses are just beginning to bloom but this one is flowering beautifully. Hope you stick with yours. It is pink peonies all summer long till frost, as mine from DA did in a container last year.

• marascz9b
    11 months ago

So gorgeous! I've been considering this rose for the longest time and this just makes meme want to take the jump. Do you see a difference between own root or bare root? Does it need full sun or will it take some shade?

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    11 months ago

I love that flower form! Have you grown The Huntington Rose or Alnwick Castle? They have a similar form and are easy to grow. The Huntington Rose doesn’t have much fragrance though. Alnwick Castle has a string fragrance of raspberries.

• erasmus_gw
    11 months ago

I don't remember whether mine's grafted...there may be a tag still on it. Mine is not particularly difficult but is not a strong grower. It arches over at about 4' high and is about 4 or 5' wide. Rebloom is pretty good but not continuous here. Blooms have weak necks and nod but it is a pretty thing.

I have The Huntington Rose and Alnwick...The HR is a tough plant and strong grower and very healthy. But this spring most of the blooms have not opened well. Alnwick is an upright plant with great rebloom. Blooms are not as rounded as TIMF. I think TIMF has a lavender cast to the pink or it seems so in person.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Here’s what mine look like today.

Alnwick Rose

The Huntington Rose

i don’t have TIMF but now I want it!

Original Author
    10 months ago

Well, when I bought the David Austin rose last spring I was expecting to pull out the Heirloom one if and once I get the DA one established because I was convinced that Heirloom one was just not going to work, it really looked pathetic for too long. And the worst of it was that when it did bloomed it was so tiny and weak. Honestly given my success with all other David Austin roses and there are so many choices out there I had no reason to try timf again. We put in a kitchen garden and watering system last year so they both got consistent watering. With the new garden I weeded more and added coffee grinds and bananas to then timf. To my surprise this spring the heirloom rose completely turned around. It is so striking now I cannot believe it, it is covered with buds and the flowers are big and gorgeous. So I cannot really compare own roots versus graft…since it could just be I didn’t know what I was doing until now. The David Austin one did establish much better and instantly, still it could just because I am more experienced now. Overall I don’t think this is an easy rose, all my other David Austin rose do great right away and with vigor, with the exception of Lady of the lake and only because I put it in a seriously shady spot and forgot it in my woodland garden. I have never seen a rose with so little natural vigor like timf. I am just surprised how different it is once it is healthy. But I do think this rose looks different with branches that is a bit wild and weak. With support though it looks really nice and elegant.

Original Author
    10 months ago

This is the Heirloom rose, picture taken two weeks ago.

Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi noseometer, no I had not planted those and didn’t see those on sale either. I do have a lot of pink roses, Violet Pride (incredible vigor), Royal Jubuliee, Queen of Sweden and Eden. For other colors I have Munstead Wood and Queen of Shallot, Tess of Duberville, Silas Marner (tree form) and Graham Thomas.

My other roses are much easier and just blooms. The one that gets most black spot for me is Queen or Sweden, it has such great reviews and people love this rose but to be honest I don’t. I have a full garden and need the space I think I will pull that one out eventually.

I just put in a very lush kitchen garden, I tried to add a video here to show but can’t seems to. If so you can then see timfs and how they relate to the rest of the garden. There is something about this rose….it is that whole combination of the peony look and weaker stem frame, it is very eye catching. Like peonies I guess. The others are all beautiful roses, but I still can’t believe how well timf stands out even with all its flaws…plus difficult start.

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    10 months ago

The Ingenious Mr Fairchild is a gorgeous rose. Mine died due to winter neglect…a mistake on my part. I have been considering replacing this one. It needs so much support though so I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’m just not sure where to put it. What a beauty though!

Original Author
    10 months ago

Gorgeous Laura!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida