Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

The Fake Summer Thread

rosecanadian
11 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Used to be The Humdrum Life of Roses thread. :) :)

Now, it's the Fake Summer Thread lol It's so we cold-zoners can pretend it's summer. Feel pity for us, please. :) :)

Comments (628)

• berrypiez6b
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Diane I'm sure at some point I mentioned Swallowtail ( while we're on the subject of medicine how about one for my memory ). This year's Salmon poppies either came from Baker Creek RARESEEDS, or they were my old poppy seeds that I got from a neighbor.

I should label the spot to remember what's in there and where it came from. The map idea worked in theory for a few weeks until I dug around multiple times and blamed the foraging birds for it...oh well.

That reminds me it's almost time to order seeds again ; every year I wait too long until what I want is sold out.

Today I'm Rose Foruming early between chores. There's just no point anymore in rewarding myself with reading at the end of the day - after 5 pm I'm shot.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 months ago

I'll keep an eye out for thrips Nanadoll... I did have thrips at my old house....

So far thats the only bloom that looks like that... Put my glasses on and checked all the roses out while I watered and hosed the roses down today...

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • berrypiez6b
    9 months ago

jim - thrips had a field day on my not so Bliss. All the first buds had to be trashed and there hasn't been a single bloom yet this year.

I found an evil weevil, dropped him and and he got away - maddening !

This is what it looked like - photo from internet.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
    9 months ago

berrypiez6b , sorry to hear....

yeee on that evil weevil! :-O

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Ewww. I had some small beetle type insect up my pants leg last night, making his way to prohibited zones. I felt the outside of my pants, found him, and popped him good. But then I had to run inside and change pants. These things are always happening to me. Lucky I didn't get some kind of bite of sting.

Carol, I forgot to comment on your comment. First, what the heck is a Saskatoon pie? I'll eat any kind of pie. I was jealous that you got cherries at the farmers' market. Daughter and SIL went to the Farmers' Market today, and I should have asked for cherries. You should see all the rotting apricots that have dropped over the fence from the entitled neighbor's tree. Maybe he can send his butler over to pick them up. I'm forced to walk on them constantly because it's a narrow strip of side yard. Thanks for you comments on my roses, but you've got more lovely blooms than my roses have right now. I'll trade you temps. It's about 100F and should hit 101F soon. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Kristine - I'm so glad that you're home and sleeping in your own bed. It's such a great feeling to come home from the hospital and sleep in your own bed. I hope that Eliquis doesn't affect you the same way as before. Fingers crossed. Yes, your garden is looking good! Your Sweet Spirit is exceptional!!!

Jim - your OSO Easy Double Red rose continues to look fabulous!!

Berrypie - lol. It doesn't take much to lull me into a nap...I can see that this is Amara's super power. :) :) Yeah, I squish those dang weevils. I'm not as squeamish as I used to be. lol Too bad that one got away on you.

Diane - beautiful Ballerina pics. :) :) She'll be making a comeback soon. :) Yup, those things happen to me too. I remember telling y'all here about the babysitting (many decades ago) and the bee that stung me on my butt. There you go...you need to wear shorts instead of pants. :) Saskatoon pie is a pie made from Saskatoon berries. :) :) They're smaller than blueberries, and more purple than blue. They're sweeter. Oh, and those cherries are really, really good!! So firm, dark and sweet. YUM. So do you find you get lots of wasps from the apricots? Yuck...can you ask them to come over and pick up their fruit? It's dangerous (you could mention that) for you...you could slip and fall. No, I wouldn't like to trade temps. lol It's going to be 26C/79F on Sunday. Which feels hot enough for me. Thank God we're not as hot as it gets for you. Ugh. You have my sympathies. Our air quality is going to be better on Sunday. That's a relief.

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Carol, your Saskatoon berries sound like our huckleberries, which are wonderful in preserves. My late uncle used to go to Montana for fishing and buy jars of huckleberry preserves made by a lady there with a small preserve making business.Then uncle mailed the jars to me. I do miss than wonderful man. Anyway, your pie sounds delicious. I'll imagine eating a piece with you. Much better than the awful cupcakes my granddaughters made. They have canned turquoise colored frosting. Bleh (a Carolism). A woman my age in shorts is a affront to nature or something. Plus, I do too much crawling around on the ground for shorts. I wouldn't have any skin left on my legs. Your 79F sounds just heavenly. I just finished running the watering system, and it's now about 2 AM, a good time for watering because it's cooled down. I need sympathy, so thanks. Our neighbor is practically a recluse, and wouldn't stoop to coming over to our yard to pick up his rotten fruit. What do you think about combining the two threads, Hum Drum and Spring, into one Summer thread? It would be good for us who can't seem to post regularly in both current threads. Have a pleasant Sunday with your moderate temps. You are so lucky. Diane

9 months ago

Canada Wildfire smoke is back again so just staying inside today...

I cut that ugly thrip looking bloom off of Earthsong Nanadoll...lol

The other roses are all starting to bloom again but I see no damage yet on those...

Have a great day everyone!

• Steve_M in PA
    9 months ago

Jim, I think my Calypso rose had some thrip damage on the second cycle of blooms (which is finished now). The blooms looked OK at first, but started looking ragged sooner than normal. I found little skinny light-brown bugs when I pulled the ratty blooms off. I didn't notice any damage on the first cycle, so it may be a seasonal thing. I will have to research the thrip lifecycle to see if it's something I need to manage.

rosecanadian thanked Steve_M in PA
    9 months ago

Thanks for the info Steve_M in PA ...

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Jim, that's about all you can do when the thrips (very tiny black or brown bugs) have done their damage. You can try to prevent them, but once they've chewed on the buds and blooms, they leave the plant, and leave you with the mess.. Their rasping mouthparts make the brown edges on the bud. I've dealt with them since I started growing Evelyn, nearly 20 years ago. She has always been the chief thrips magnet here. Augusta Luise and The Prince also get them. Supposedly, thrips go for light colored, many petaled roses, but somehow the very dark Prince appeals to them, too. Any effective preventive like imidacloprid is not organic, but sort of effective. You can get this stuff in granules so you don't have to spray. I fins that Captain Jack's organic stuff to be totally ineffective on thrips. I don't do anything for them because they seem to be content to bother just three of my roses. I'm sorry about the smoke invasion again. I saw that on the news. I can't believe those fires are still burning. We've been having small range fires quite close to homes in this area, but they've all been contained. It looks like the rest of July is going to be above 100F, except for today and tomorrow. The roses are starting to bloom again and will be ruined toot sweet. Such is the life of a gardener in the miserable hot desert. But have a good day--ha. Nanadoll

9 months ago

Nanadoll, its all coming back to me now at my old house thrips loved Earthsong...lol

Remember I started putting all my spent blooms into bags which actually helped out alot...

Time will tell...I'll keep my eyes open and my glasses on...lol

• KittyNYz6
    9 months ago

Beautiful blooms Everyone! I enjoy reading your posts… trying to carch up…. pretty busy these days with work & garden projects and sleeping, Lol I like to sleep if there is time. Lol!

Kristine,

Welcome home! I am so happy to see you’re back and I hope staying careful and healthy! I see your garden is a beauriful sight welcoming you! I love your Palatina Traviata-what a beautiful fushis abundant bloomer!

Diane,

Beautiful blooming garden! I love Ascot, your Julias, and tgat gorgeous purple clematis! You griw Clematis well! My clematis is still alive but may not be shaded enough… climbing beside an Eden.

TODAY:

i’m busy finishing my garden beds still! I just finished my new Circle Bed with new soil and planted 8 Japanese roses today and a Kordes. I have one Japanese rose, Rouge de Parfum still coming! And 2 other roses to plant tomorrow. Then done planting roses for awhile, Lol!

TOMORROW- I go to Lowes for flowers & few bags soil to finish bed borders. I need some color in my new Circle Bed. It has all these tiny green Japanese rose bushes-happy-healthy. I may get a Mandevilla, some sweet peppers & a cherry tomatoe plant, too. It’s time to make garden beds pretty as many roses take a rest. Some roses still always blooming! Peonies still blooming! Many surprises still happening in my gardens.

Trish, Sheila, Oursteelers, I hope you are enjoying the summer! It’s my favorite time of year…. walking in the gsrdens, summer concerts and farmers markets. A trip to the beach wouod be nice, too!

Carol, 69F is cool, but it’s beautiful almost spring weather for you. Your roses looked gorgeous the other day! A visit to the Farmers Markey sounds wonderful! One of my fav outings! Yummy Saskatoon pie! They look like blueberries!

I made berry compote yesterday with blackberries, raspberries, blueberries & strawberries altogether. I cook them up with sugar & a little water and added them to a few foods for dinner. We had berry milkshakes, I had compote on chicken , and we had it drizzeled on icecream! I served it for my ladies I care for. I froze the rest-for more ice cream next week!

Jim, I hope your Earth Song is ok and go away thrips! It’s a peaceful summer & needs to stay that way!

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Diane - I found this: "To simplify it botanically, saskatoons are a member of the Rose family (Rosaceae), while huckleberries are members of the heather family (Ericaceae). So they're not even cousins, I'm afraid." That's a great memory of your uncle mailing you huckleberry preserves. :) :) Yes, I'll share an imaginary piece with you. :) :) That's a shame about your granddaughters ruining the usually wonderful combination of butter, sugar, and flour. :) :) Well, I'll be wearing shorts for as long as I'm alive. It's definitely not a pretty sight, but I don't care a whit. LOL But, yeah, skinned knees are not fun. We had a ton of rain...about 1 1/2" in about 1/2 hour which is really a lot for here. It came down in torrents with hail pounding down. There was a tornado about an hour from our house. The noise from the hail and rain was tremendous!! Tomorrow (Tuesday) is supposed to be 23C/73F. Beautiful weather!! (I'm very lucky to have such moderate temps.) Well...the point of this thread was so some people could have a slower moving thread. lol So merging the two threads takes that purpose away. But, we could do it. I could make a new Summer Thread tomorrow if no one else wants to.

Jim - you and I are both having new buds/flowers. Good time for us. I'm hoping that when I go outside tomorrow that the hail and rain haven't ruined all of that progress.

Kitty - Have fun at Lowes! :) :) I can't believe you still have peonies blooming!! My goodness!! Thanks for cooing over my roses. :) :) I love that. :) Mmmm berry compote!! I'm drooling as I read your berry good use of them. :)

I copied this from the Spring thread where we were talking about peony poppies....

My daughter asked me if she and her girlfriend can use my backyard to get married (in a few years) because they love my flowers/roses so much. Isn't that a great compliment? So peony poppies will add to the cacophony of color. :) :) When the time comes...I'll be a nervous wreck about the garden and roses. :) :)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 months ago

Oh Carol, what a lovely compliment from your daughter and her girlfriend.

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • KittyNYz6
    9 months ago

Carol, Fabulous wedding, it will be in your garden! More of my comments on Soring thread…. Oops Oops… above I meant my Peony poppies still blooming. (no peonies blooming, he he.) ! love to share my berry compote with you all! Tastes great on pancakes, too! And sausage! And a little whip cream on top! Mmmmmm….. love berry summer desserts! I want some of …..

Berry’s popsicles! And Carol’s pie! Mmmmmmm

Lowes shopping time! Anastasia is coming!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    9 months ago

Remember that I brought Papa Meiland back down to what looks like a bareroot? It had its own umbrella to protect and now it is all full of beautiful healthy leaves . I sure hope that it stays that way.

I'm having to do things in short bursts for now and the weeds are killin me. I have managed to do some pot fertalizing, weed two and a tiny bit of deadheading. The question comes as to how long I can do this?

Kitty, I miss having your energy. You have created such a magical retreat. If I ever get to the finger lakes I will definitely come and check it out.

My clematis look wretched, my dahlias are a no , Francis Meiland has had 2 blooms. But most everything is doing well considering the heat.

Prairie Sunrise love this one so much .Always in bloom

Gigi almost got the boot but Azalea really took care of her and she made a great comeback

Desiree, brand new

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    9 months ago

Kristine, great looking roses!

I have to do things in short bursts also so my plan is I'm only going plant what I can manage...

Here's my first At Last rose bloom of the 2nd flush...

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Hi Kristine, I'm sorry you're having problems working for long time periods. I hope you and your doctor can find a solution for you. I have trouble just getting started, and if I had my way I'd sit in my chair and read all day. Your Desiree is scrumptious. So did you just get it? It looks too perfect to have been shipped. I can see why you love Prairie Sunrise so much. The colors are lovely. I'm pulling for you to get some energy back and maybe try a different med (my non professional advice).

Jim, At Last is so pretty, and in perfect shape for this time of year when the weather can mess rose blooms up so easily. Do you like At Last as well as Oso Easy Double Red?

Carol, thanks for the info about the berries. Son in law went to the store (he's like Don and does a lot of the grocery shopping), and got me some yummy cherries, thanks to your inspiring list of goodies from the farmer's market. I got strawberries, too, so good with ice cream. What an incredible and awful amount of rain to pour down in such a short period. I guess that makes up for the perfect 73F you had. Did the rain and hail do much damage? It must have. Here it goes up to above 100F tomorrow and stays there for the rest of July. Lots of roses are blooming with Munstead and several others in full flushes, What were those plants thinking, anyway? ....My friend Elaine's older son got married in her garden about 17 years ago, and it was a wonderful wedding. I'm excited for you and Kedra's wedding plans. I wish I could send you tons of seed I gather and you could play around with it just to see if you can grow even more stuff for the future special day. As has been discussed, you must have poppies, and I have about a pound of extra seed. What about cosmos? Let's start planning. Diane

Jemma and I are getting more photos organized. These all are from before the big heat started.

Julia Child

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Here's Tamora

9 months ago

Nanadoll, do I like At last rose as much as OSO...Right now No!...lol

But only time will tell...

Wow fantastic looking roses! :-)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 months ago

Diane, how i wish I lived within walking distance. I'd be walking Rosie past your place twice a day. In fact, I'd pause there so long you'd have to invite me in!

• KittyNYz6
    9 months ago

Kristine, I’m glad you are able to do some gardening and your roses are soooo beautiful! Gigi looks really healthy-gorgeous bloomer and Desiree is really a creamy beautiful rose! I hope you get better as you have such beautiful gardens to care for. MybDahlias are not blooming yet, either! Give them time. And heat doesnt like my clematis.

Not sure about my energy! I did less today! I went shopping-had fun at Lowes, bought some flowers and just set them in the yard. Anastasia enjoyed the outing! She said hi to everyone at Lowes and truly enjoyed sniffing all the plants. Then I took a nap after watering! Niceeeeee day! I will plant another day. I will finish flower beds next weekend. And do just minor garden care for awhile, I hope! Enjoy the summer! It’s time!

Diane, Your front walkway with stunning Julias is such an eye catcher! I can’t get over how tall they are! Gorgeous pathway to your home! Tamora is a beauty! Sweet, delicate! Strawberries & ice cream sounds really yummy! Maybe a little shortcake added woukd be fabulous to the strawberries & ice cream. Mmmmmmmmm Can’t believe your roses are blooming away in that heat! Oh, but my Munstead is still blooming a little, too-never stopped.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Trish - thanks...yes, it was such a nice thing to hear. :) We're even going to do a bouquet from whatever's growing in the garden. I'm not going to do it...Kedra's girlfriend, Chloe, is amazing at doing EVERYTHING....she'll do it. :) :)

Kitty - thanks!! I'll go and see your comments there. mmmm pancakes, sausage and berry compote with whip cream (lots). :) :) Hope you and Anastasia had fun at Lowes. :)

Kristine - Oh, that's great that your Papa Meilland is doing so well. :) :) Yes, short bursts. Delegate more. Sit in a patio chair and breathe in the sights. :) :) Let the medication work more before you think of how long you can continue gardening. For now, you're on a holiday. :) :) Your roses are so pretty...I especially love your Prairie Sunrise. Love!

Jim - good attitude. It is what it is. Being happy with little is a good way to be. And I know you really are happy with your gorgeous roses. :) :) That's a really lovely At Last bloom! Perfect!

Diane - excellent! I'm glad you got some yummy summer fruit. That's a good son-in-law. I know!!! The rain/hail was unreal. I couldn't hear the t.v. until I pumped the volume up to 97. The dogs were glued to me. LOL Well, the perennial garden had no damage. The roses had a lot of ruined roses. But there are still some and there are a lot of buds. I have a gorgeous Buxom Beauty flower that was hidden under a lot of canes/leaves....oh what a bloom!!! I took a picture...but it's not loaded. Oh, you poor thing. 100F for the rest of the month. Double UGH. Tomorrow it is 23C/73F and then it goes up to 27C/81F for the rest of the month. Pretty hot for me...but WAAAAY better than what you're getting. Wow...you're getting full flushes from some of your rose bushes!! And your roses going all out is spectacular! Do you have any pics of Elaine's garden wedding? Not that I can replicate her garden...I mean, come on...lol...but I could get some ideas. Thanks for the thought about the seeds. I think that the peony poppies will be perfect. I'll get rid of my cranesbill geraniums that have spread and aren't flowering and grow poppies there. They would be beautiful in a bouquet! Kedra does love Cosmos. So that's a good idea. :) :) Holy cow!!! Your Julia Childs are incredible!!!! Sheer gorgeousness!! I love the bright yellow as well as the faded colors. Wouldn't it be wonderful (says I) to have the wedding at your place with your abundancy of blooms!!! :) :) Oooh!! I love your Tamora...the color is wonderful...but your JC blows it out of the water in my opinion. lol

Trish - lol...we'd all there waiting for a tour and Diane's cucumber sandwiches and ever present can of coke. :) :)

Kitty - I'm glad you had such a nice day topped off with a refreshing nap.

So, what's the consensus? Do we want 2 separate threads...a humdrum one and a seasonal summer...or combine them? Not that I have any control over starting a new summer thread as Kate has been running the spring thread.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 months ago

Let's have a combined thread, Carol. Who's Kate? or do you mean Kimberly? Does she still post?

• KittyNYz6
    9 months ago

Carol, Thank you! One combined summer thread is good for me!

Kate is a new rose gardener on the forum Spring thread. She is lovely and has a lot of OGRs, too. Kimberly was host of the other Spring thread.

My Lowes’ escapade resulted in a couple yellow Oriental lilies, phlox, petunias & Pintas & more soil! A full trunk in the car so I had to stop!

PHOTOS of my new Lowes’ flowers sitting in & 8 Japanese roses & a Kordes rose newly planted, all in newly carved out, ”Circle Bed,” on Spring thread. PHOTOS of my middle back yard & 3 beds: T-bed, & new Circle Bed and Oval bed on Spring thread. InnAugust I will add an exclusive ”poppy/flower bed,” to the backyard, too. Need to get a few bricks to border new beds. PHOTOS of my gladiolas starting to bloom, more poppies & roses on soring thread, too!

Oh, a couple of my poppies fell to the ground because they are bent anyway almost touching, reaching sideways for sun in my south side garden. However, many of my poppies are straight & tall even though I had lots of rain!

Black Peony Poppy

Baby Pink Peony Poppy

Gladiolas 1st blooms

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    9 months ago

Carol, did I miss something? Is Kendra getting married? When, where?

It is hot ( not nearly as hot as some of you) and these are the roses still blooming but not immediately frying.

Bliss, paradise, Bolero, Darcy Bussel, prairie Sunrise, Elle, Olivia and Desmond tutu.

Yesterday I felt normal, today punny but I guess that it would depend on what my achy breaky heart is doing.

Time for the summer thread. Having 2 has been fun but sometimes confusing as to where to find something.

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • KittyNYz6
    9 months ago

Pink Chiffon, Rose of Sharon, hybiscus

Ruffled Satin, Rose of Sharon

Mme Dubost blooms today, for Berrypie!

Yolanda de Aragon 2nd flush

Hollyhock, 6ft

New Phlox

2 Oriental lilies

Pintas

Liastis

Liastis, Lilac Hosta , Coneflower

Mandevilla

• KittyNYz6
    9 months ago

Purple Poppy

Kiss Me Kate

Day lillies

Mary Rose

Lilac Veranda

Scheherazade, Japanese rose, immature 1st bloom, having a flush.

9 months ago

My votes for a one combined summer thread Carol...

Wonderful photos KittyNYz6!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Well, everyone, since Kimberley (thanks, Trish) is in charge thus far of the spring seasonal thread it's probably up to her to start the summer thread. I put that question toward her in the spring thread. I don't want to usurp her role. :) :)

Kitty - thanks for letting me know that some of the peony poppies made it through the rain. :) :) Your flowers/roses are looking really beautiful!! I love your hollyhocks ... especially the yellow one (wish I could grow them...darn glacial till)!! I really love your Mary Rose and Purple Poppy!! Oooh!!! I love your Liatris and Mandevilla!!! Yolande is doing well...so lovely. Mmmmmm :) :)

Kristine - Yes, Kedra and her girlfriend, Chloe, have asked me if they could use my backyard for their wedding (in quite a few years...Kedra's words were "in about 40" lol. I'm thinking more like 3 or 4.) They love my flowers and think it would be a wonderful setting. They could use my roses/perennials for a bouquet. I'm a bit nervous about having the yard really nice...but hopeful. Don still has to finish the deck and continue with getting the underground sprinklers set up and we'd like to concrete the path through the gate (which always turns to mud...rose traffic, feet traffic, etc). Grass just won't grow there. I'm glad that you have some roses that are doing well in the heat. You've got a nice mix of colors...cream, lavender, white, red, orange, and pink. :) :) Make sure that on your days when you feel normal that you're not over doing it. That could be why you don't feel so great today.

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Carol, Kimberly hasn't posted on the spring thread in ages. I don't think she owns the seasonal thread anymore than I do for starting it back in 2016. Anyone has the right to start a seasonal thread, and you won't be usurping any role, for sure. I agree with Jim, Trish, Kristine, and Kitty that a combined thread would make most sense. Continuing a spring thread when it's midsummer is quite odd to me.

On to happy topics. Kitty, I tried to pick a favorite among your beautiful variety of blooms, and after looking twice at everything, I gave up. They all win the favorite contest with an edge to the lavender (purple) poppy, and the hollyhocks. I've got one volunteer pale pink hollyhock blooming, and it's doing pretty well in this heat. Right now, I'm feeling a bit Phoenix, if you know what I mean. The only thing that saves us, and helps the plants, is that once the sun starts to set, the hot temps plummet like a stone, due to dry air which doesn't hold heat, and our nights are very pleasant. That's when I do my drip system watering. I have to do hand watering when it's still hot, and I hate it.

Carol, I'm excited about flowers for the wedding, even though it's a ways off. I think fairly hardy annuals would work well, in addition to more tender cosmos. There are a lot of cosmos which I used to grow BQ (before quail), so you could try the traditional pink, lavender, white cosmos that comes in different heights and styles, including doubles, which might not be as abundant in your climate. There are also some great yellow daisy like cosmos which I grown, including Ladybird, which is great. Last year, I grew a few dwarf yellow cosmos in a pot which worked well. You might try the annual rudbeckia, Indian Summer, the best rudy I've ever grown. It reseeds like crazy in this climate. In yours, I'd buy a few plants and collect seed heads to throw out the next year, and leave some seed heads for, hopefully, reseeding.

Kristine, I have a lot of roses blooming in this heat, and I think they are nuts. But it's still nice to see the blooms for most of them. The Prince is not doing his usual weird heat blooms, and I'm surprised. The rose most heat affected and having an awful time is Augusta Luise. I wish she'd just sleep for the time being. My two Munstead Woods are on a rampage of blooming, and Golden Celegration, Abbaye de Cluny, The Prince, and Tamora are right behind. The only thing I can do is take pics, I guess. I hope you have a good Dr visit Thursday, and are able to really talk about your tiredness problems. Diane

Rudbeckia Indian Summer, natural hybrids, coneflowers, and dwarf cosmos in a bowl.

9 months ago

Nanadoll, those are great looking flowers! When do coneflowers bloom??? Thanks

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Jim, coneflowers (Echinacea) are blooming now, along with the Rudbeckia. They are perennials and have a long bloom time, starting at the beginning of July and blooming until about the end of September. They reseed really well, and my coneflowers, which bloom all over the garden, came from about three or so plants, plus a couple of free ones. They are easy to transplant as seedlings and small plants, and easy to pull up. They are also low care, and your rain would be all the water they'd need, I'm pretty sure. Start with a couple of plants; don't bother with seed. The bees, especially bumblebees, love them and so do butterflies. Give them a try. Nanadoll

The difference in color is due to natural crossbreeding, and you get some variety in looks this way.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Diane - okay. :) :) I'll start a new summer thread. So you're the one who started the Seasonal Thread. What a great idea. :) :) Interesting that you have cool nights. We do too. There are dwarf cosmos? I didn't know that. And do you find that they collapse with a rain? Are the stems strong enough? I've just started a list of flowers to add to the garden for the wedding...so far I have cosmos and peony poppies. I'm actually not that fond of yellow in my garden....so I'll skip the rudbeckia. I do love yellow...just not in my perennial garden. lol Thanks, Diane! Those silly roses blooming in the heat. I guess you could cut them and fill your house with flowers. :) I wish my Augusta Luise blooms look like yours. :) Time and patience. Wow! Your Rudbeckia looks great...but that's my point...they're by themselves. :) :) My fave is your Echinacea. Oh, I love your bee!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 months ago
  • Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Carol, I guess it's too late to call the new thread the Humdrum Summer Thread. It's pretty humdrum here with the terrible heat. Half of Munstead's new blooms were burnt up, but Abbaye de Cluny and Orange Julius are doing pretty well, among others. I'm surprised at this. Diane

• rosecanadian thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • KittyNYz6
    9 months ago

Wonderful! Carol, I’m off to your new Summer Thread!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Diane - sounds like the orange roses are doing the best in your heat. The Humdrum Summer thread would be a good name. Shall I change it? :)

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Carol, your new name is fine. Changing it would be confusing, and I was just joking. Diane

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    4 months ago

Weird. I just got a notification that there was a new post on this thread, but I see one from 4 months ago...

rosecanadian thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Deborah... me too. It said "someone liked your comment on..." as per usual, but when I clicked the link it took me here. I think they're having a glitch.

rosecanadian thanked susan9santabarbara
  • DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    4 months ago

Well, I just liked your comment to make it worth your while! :-)

rosecanadian thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

Houzz is nutz. We can continue this as the Fake Summer Thread for those of us who are freezing their toes off, but want to pretend it's warm......Carol, change this thread's title to The Fake Summer Thread, please. How are you doing, Deborah? I'm thinking you are feeling quite fine since I see you posting and showing your rose photos. I haven't a thing to say. Nothing is growing, it's dreary and rainy, and a most boring Saturday night. It's got to be better down your way. Are you on vacation yet? Probably not. I know Jemma has a lot of end of semester projects she's stressing out about. I hope you get some lovely new roses for Christmas. Diane

More way back stuff....2012.....Brother Cadfael and Jude

Ascot

More lonesome moon

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Diane - lol - I changed the name. :) :) Your roses are through the moon (get it?) gorgeous!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

Carol, I loooove the Fake Summer Thread. Thanks for changing the title. I will henceforth firmly believe it is summer right now. I feel better already. Thanks about the moon and my roses, and I get it, though I'm slow sometimes. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I knew you would get it. I was imagining you saying, "Of course, I got it...sheesh."

Oh, and I added a bit to the introduction paragraph.

• Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

I also love what you added to the intro. I just read it. Yes, all the Cali types, FL, AL, TX, and AZ that still have blooms: pfffft to you all. We have summer, if only in our pitiful minds. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Diane - oh, you make me smile. :) :)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida